Body Armor cost/benefit

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Body Armor cost/benefit

Postby HAL-9001 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 pm

So, I've been refreshing the stats of my army lists and a bee has flown into my bonnet.

Body Armor costs 1 CP, for the effect of +2 Armor and -1" Move. A Minifig's default armor of 4 is the average roll of a d6 (rounded up), so increasing that to 6 would be the average roll of a d10 (rounded up), effectively bringing the Minifig from Structure Level 0.5 to 1. This, on its own, would increase a Minifig's cost by a half-point. However, docking Move by one inch would reduce its price by a half-point, bringing the Minifig's price back down to 4 CP.

I get that having a zero-cost protective item is undesirable from a game design perspective (and having Body Armor increase Move would just be silly), but I'm wondering if I'm missing a benefit offered by giving a Minifig some Body Armor as opposed to just creating an Ar: 6 (or 1d10) Mv: 4" Creature. Is it that Body Armor can be removed?

This is the tiniest thing, but it's been buzzing in circles in my head and it bugs me.
Heuristic ALgorithmic AFOL.
T6281: Solar Federation (Rules T6588)
T6777: Dungan Swarm
T6783: Space Pirates
T7349: BrikWars Vehicle Datasheet
T7402: Imperium Constructor
TROLOLO
HAL-9001
Officer

Re: Body Armor cost/benefit

Postby IVhorseman » Sat May 31, 2014 1:35 pm

One of many reasons why CP is getting largely ditched in the final iteration of Brikwars 2010. If you ask me, an item with a benefit and a penalty should be free, but in the number-crunching world of CP that's less of an option.

If anything, a minifig with d10 armor and 4" move is largely superior to a minifig with body armor - they even get extra momentum in crashes. The only possible upshot of a minifig with armor 6 is that it's less bookkeeping, and that you don't have the possibility of making a terrible terrible roll on a d10 (it happens).
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Zupponn » Sat May 31, 2014 6:33 pm

The cost of body armor is your manliness, but the benefit is that it makes you tougher to kill.
Zupponn
No Lego part truly dies
No Lego part truly dies

Postby stubby » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:10 am

It costs a CP because it makes the game slower and more complicated. This CP is not for budget balance, it's for punishment.
stubby
forum janitor

Postby james+burgundy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm

As anyone that has seen my armies knows I have always been a big fan of body armor (usually rocking at least 40 sets of armor in my army as a minim )but largely for looks. I also just try to jack up the carnage to deal with a tougher fig but could see the argument that it takes the fun out of mass death.
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:15 pm

:protip: just cause they're wearing it doesn't mean you have to stat for them wearing it.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Colette » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm

IVhorseman wrote::protip: just cause they're wearing it doesn't mean you have to stat for them wearing it.

Trattorians wear pretty heavy body armor, but as I still haven't come up with any satisfactory stats, they still have the same armor as a normal minifig. Which kind of fits, I suppose, as Trattorians are physically a bunch of weaklings.
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Voin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:57 am

HAL-9001 wrote:Body Armor costs 1 CP, for the effect of +2 Armor and -1" Move. A Minifig's default armor of 4 is the average roll of a d6 (rounded up), so increasing that to 6 would be the average roll of a d10 (rounded up), effectively bringing the Minifig from Structure Level 0.5 to 1. This, on its own, would increase a Minifig's cost by a half-point. However, docking Move by one inch would reduce its price by a half-point, bringing the Minifig's price back down to 4 CP.

HAL-9001 wrote:and having Body Armor increase Move would just be silly

Unless it was powered armor.
I came here to kick ass and give fucks. And I'm all out of fucks.
Voin
Officer

Postby lordintype » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:06 pm

HAL-9001 wrote:So, I've been refreshing the stats of my army lists and a bee has flown into my bonnet.

Body Armor costs 1 CP, for the effect of +2 Armor and -1" Move. A Minifig's default armor of 4 is the average roll of a d6 (rounded up), so increasing that to 6 would be the average roll of a d10 (rounded up), effectively bringing the Minifig from Structure Level 0.5 to 1. This, on its own, would increase a Minifig's cost by a half-point. However, docking Move by one inch would reduce its price by a half-point, bringing the Minifig's price back down to 4 CP.

I get that having a zero-cost protective item is undesirable from a game design perspective (and having Body Armor increase Move would just be silly), but I'm wondering if I'm missing a benefit offered by giving a Minifig some Body Armor as opposed to just creating an Ar: 6 (or 1d10) Mv: 4" Creature. Is it that Body Armor can be removed?

This is the tiniest thing, but it's been buzzing in circles in my head and it bugs me.

Easy answer. It costs resources to make armour. Not making armour doesn't. :wink:
General strategy: Sacrifice my minifigs, get an almighty benny.
Team strategy: You guys, pointlessly sacrifice your dudes. I'll be our saving grace.
TROLOLO
lordintype
Nice Dubs

Postby stubby » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:05 pm

This has been brought up before, and the answer is basically

(6) it can be removed and traded around, allowing minifigs to change their stats in the middle of battle
(7) it decreases mayhem, therefore has a punitive cost as disincentive
(8) it increases complexity, therefore has a punitive cost as disincentive

Going by strict utility, the Armor should cost 0 CP. But each piece of Armor makes the game a tiny fraction slower and less fun, so I added a small cost.
stubby
forum janitor

Return to The Rulebook