Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:56 am

Voin wrote:6. Ok, so under the updated Weapon Mods rules, if I wanted to have, say a High Caliber (+Max Ammunition XSize)/Surgical (Damage or Effect as if 1 Size smaller) 1" Cannon (or Bastard Cannon) that fired a 2d round that a d6 of Penetrating followed up by an exploding d10 (so basically, a precision anti-armor weapon), what would that look like after all the numbers were crunched?

So, if you start with a 1" Cannon, High Caliber would let it fire as a 2" Cannon, and Surgical would bring it back down to a 1" Cannon again. So you'd have a 1" Cannon.

I should really re-combine the Effect and Capacity mods again, separating them was a bad idea. There's no weapon that both can apply to.

Voin wrote:Would I just take half the damage roll on the d6 & d10?

Stacking up half-dice starts to get complicated for rules and side effects based on number and size of dice. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's probably not worth it.

Voin wrote:7. What was the design-philosophy behind allowing cannons, which are direct-fire to have effectively infinite ammo, but making launchers, which do parabolic-fire, have to have all the ammo bought or otherwise provided?

Cannons fire every other turn and can only fire bespoke ammunition, while Launchers can fire anything you put into them, including your own troops or other Launchers. If I steal or shoot your ammunition supply, your Cannon is immediately useless, while a Launcher just becomes a tool for unconventional warfare. So they both have their tradeoffs.

Really, the design philosophy was that we didn't have a category that fit tank cannons, pirate cannons, and FPS rocket launchers very well. I wanted to have something that better matched that gameplay, so I made a new category. Keeping track of the ammo for those weapons isn't fun in the way that having to come up with funny Launcher payloads is fun, but I did still feel that ammo variation is a big part of what makes those weapons fun, so I tried to design accordingly.

Voin wrote:8. Can you fire clusters of smaller projectiles out of a Cannon, & if so, do rules for that from the Launcher section apply?

For grapeshot, etc., I figured d8 Blast projectiles would be the way to go. But if you wanted to break up a single multi-die Cannon shot into multiple single-die Cannon shots, rolled separately, then I'm sure it would be fine.

Sure. Size 2" MachineGun, alternate damage 1d10.

It doesn't work great, because MachineGuns are based on the idea that bullets are flying everywhere and you only track the ones that hit anything, and d10s are based on the idea that you track every single one of them, especially the ones that miss. But that seems to be the least offensive way to handle it.

Otherwise, I've never seen autocannons as having anything interesting or fun to warrant getting special rules attention. They mostly seem like they'd just be annoying to deal with in-game. Explosions are fun as singular events but working out the details for a half-dozen at once seems like it could only be super tedious. Explosions are supposed to be exciting. If I design a system where explosions make people roll their eyes and yawn then I'm an obvious failure.

Voin wrote:10. If "it's brix, not bricks", shouldn't "Marksman" be "Marxman"?

As funny as that is, I've been phasing out the x. It's briks, not brick.

Voin wrote:11. I noticed a new specialty: The Sneak. Can we get a ...wait for it ...sneak peek (sorry, not sorry) at it's specialty write-up?

The Sneak was a temporary working title; now he's just the Thief. Besides Stealth, his skills are Breaking and Entering, allowing him to overcome physical obstacles (as part of regular Movement) and security systems (as an Action), and Theft, which allows him to steal stuff without anyone noticing. Both can be accomplished as normal actions (while visible) or as Shenanigans (while hidden).

Voin wrote:12. What was the design-philosophy in making Bodyguards override Assassins & Snipers? It seems a bit of an oddly... defense-oriented departure from your usual "Attack! Attack! Attack!" focus. Not that I'm complaining, mind you - I tend to play wargames fairly conservatively myself. Just curious

I also play wargames conservatively, which I why I know that BrikWars bogs down fast if it leaves too many openings for players to play that way. So it's not Attack Attack Attack as much as Action Action Action! Killing a Bodyguard instead of a Great Leader is still killing somebody, and Bodyguards bring their own attacks to the fight, so it's a way of defending your high-value targets with action-increasing assets rather than action-reducing assets.
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:19 am

Voin wrote:Image
(pic unrelated)

A bit late on  that one? All the cool kids have moved onto aancap smileys.
Actually why don't we have those for brikwars? They're super brikwarsy
Spoiler: show
AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Postby Captain-Camper » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:16 pm

AnnoyedZebra wrote:
Voin wrote:Image
(pic unrelated)

A bit late on  that one? All the cool kids have moved onto aancap smileys.
Actually why don't we have those for brikwars? They're super brikwarsy
[
Spoiler: show
img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cpc2-NFUsAA9GNc.jpg[/img]

seems more political then brikwars
Captain-Camper
seriously?

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:59 am

Well everything is so chaotic and warlike?
Last edited by AnnoyedZebra on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Postby Voin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:06 am

stubby wrote:

Sure. Size 2" MachineGun, alternate damage 1d10.

It doesn't work great, because MachineGuns are based on the idea that bullets are flying everywhere and you only track the ones that hit anything, and d10s are based on the idea that you track every single one of them, especially the ones that miss. But that seems to be the least offensive way to handle it.

Otherwise, I've never seen autocannons as having anything interesting or fun to warrant getting special rules attention. They mostly seem like they'd just be annoying to deal with in-game. Explosions are fun as singular events but working out the details for a half-dozen at once seems like it could only be super tedious. Explosions are supposed to be exciting. If I design a system where explosions make people roll their eyes and yawn then I'm an obvious failure.

Oh, right. My vision for it was that autocannons would generally be fired in short bursts to lessen the overhead, & even then only on things where it makes sense, like aircraft cannons.

Also, since you have to trade up 2d6 to get that 1d10 (so you're losing out on straight-up damage-dealing potential), I don't see autocannons as being so tempting that everyone will suddenly rush to spam them on everything, but rather relegated to spot applications where it would make sense, like Flak cannons, where putting up a wide area of relatively low damage will be "good enough" against fairly soft targets like Aerodynamic Flight systems which cannot be armored & the destruction of which sends the aircraft plummeting from the sky (vs. say, pounding it out against typically heavier ground armor or fortifications).
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Maraxous » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:01 pm

I don't know if I have over looked it or what, but my question is can I use SN dice to add knock back? Like could you add 1d6 knock back to your ball bat, or throw guys around like Sauron in LOTR?
TROLOLO
Maraxous
Hero

Postby Voin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Maraxous wrote:I don't know if I have over looked it or what, but my question is can I use SN dice to add knock back? Like could you add 1d6 knock back to your ball bat, or throw guys around like Sauron in LOTR?

Yup, you just apply Movement aspect: Thrust inches :warhead:
Thrust: apply (Die) inches of Thrust to object​

So (if I'm calculating this right - someone who has more experience with SN dice can correct me), a Baseball Bat of Mighty Slugging with a d6 bought in to represent its Supernatural cliche could add, as you said, 1d6" of Thrust to a struck target (making them take additional collision damage if they fly ≥4"), but keep in mind, the UR on said Baseball Bat would be +1 (for a total of 4, assuming you started with Heavy Weapon stats), effectively the same as the -1 penalty to Skill rolls per SN dice used.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Maraxous » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Voin wrote:
Maraxous wrote:I don't know if I have over looked it or what, but my question is can I use SN dice to add knock back? Like could you add 1d6 knock back to your ball bat, or throw guys around like Sauron in LOTR?

Yup, you just apply Movement aspect: Thrust inches :warhead:
Thrust: apply (Die) inches of Thrust to object​

So (if I'm calculating this right - someone who has more experience with SN dice can correct me), a Baseball Bat of Mighty Slugging with a d6 bought in to represent its Supernatural cliche could add, as you said, 1d6" of Thrust to a struck target (making them take additional collision damage if they fly ≥4"), but keep in mind, the UR on said Baseball Bat would be +1 (for a total of 4, assuming you started with Heavy Weapon stats), effectively the same as the -1 penalty to Skill rolls per SN dice used.

That is ossum
TROLOLO
Maraxous
Hero

Postby Voin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Remember, it's a whole Supernatural Cliche, so it doesn't do just the one thing. An SN Baseball Bat like that could also add its SN to things like damage or parrying thrown objects.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Previous

Return to The Rulebook