BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Postby AlAtEx » Sun May 07, 2017 11:22 am

What if I have a minifig with vehicular armor, so that he and his suit of armor are seprate units, and then I fire a 1d6 AP, 1d10 gun at him, does the 1d6 hit his armor and then the 1d10 go off inside, or does, because the minifig and his armor total to less than 1 inch in length, the 1d10 go through him too, and then hit whichever poor sap was stupid enough to stand behind him?
AlAtEx
Nice Dubs

Postby stubby » Mon May 08, 2017 9:00 pm

New updates today - I've started bringing the cards up to date; about halfway done with the existing ones and later on there'll be a bunch more for the new units in chapter eleven. New ones can be seen on the downloads page in the wiki: http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... Stat_Cards

Let's see, what else has been going on. I did some clarifying on Armor Piercing dice, and added in a couple more units in the Covert category in Chapter 11. The Thief now has a cap for his CAP. Some other clarifying bits here and there, but that was the big stuff as far as I recall.

I'll get to the thread questions a little later, ran out of time for today.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Voin » Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am

stubby wrote:New updates today - I've started bringing the cards up to date; about halfway done with the existing ones and later on there'll be a bunch more for the new units in chapter eleven. New ones can be seen on the downloads page in the wiki: http://brikwars.com/wiki/index.php?titl ... Stat_Cards

Let's see, what else has been going on. I did some clarifying on Armor Piercing dice, and added in a couple more units in the Covert category in Chapter 11. The Thief now has a cap for his CAP. Some other clarifying bits here and there, but that was the big stuff as far as I recall.

Sweet  :D
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Voin » Wed May 10, 2017 2:26 am

stubby wrote:I did some clarifying on Armor Piercing dice, and added in a couple more units in the Covert category in Chapter 11.

Read through it all, looks good. Clarification looks like it covers what needs to be covered, can't wait to have a chance to use these in an actual game.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Voin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Voin wrote:[added in a couple more units in the Covert category in Chapter 11

6. So as I understand it, w/ the OutRage Bennies in response to the Infiltrator, the most efficient use for the unit would probably be as a suicide bomber (hi, CIA!) - more specifically, a suicide bomber near a high-value target??

Chapter 8 wrote:One-Die Armor Piercing
At first glance, a 1d6 Armor Piercing weapon like a pickaxe or a needle pistol seems identical to a regular 1d6 weapon - even if the AP die pierces the armor, there are no follow-up dice to go through to the next target.

But there are lots of ways to add Damage to a roll, from OverSkill Damage to Bennies to MOM dice in a Charging Weapon attack. Bonus d6es added to Armor Piercing Damage are also Armor Piercing, allowing successes where a lucky dagger strike can punch through plate mail or a mighty spear thrust can skewer three minfigs in a shishkebab.

7. Ok, so I'm  a little confused.  :???:  Now is there any point to not have single-die weapons be Armor Piercing? B/c they seem like a pretty sweet deal for no additional cost.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 am

Voin wrote:6. So as I understand it, w/ the OutRage Bennies in response to the Infiltrator, the most efficient use for the unit would probably be as a suicide bomber (hi, CIA!) - more specifically, a suicide bomber near a high-value target?

Yes. If the enemy has stationed a suicide bomber next to a high-value target, he would be a good guy to reveal as a traitor. That's probably not a super common event, but if you're handed the opportunity then go crazy.

But a traitor who could immediately steal an attack helicopter or something is pretty valuable too. The use of an attack helicopter is worth the cost of letting the enemy spend an instant benny each turn.

Voin wrote:Ok, so I'm  a little confused.  :???:  Now is there any point to not have single-die weapons be Armor Piercing? B/c they seem like a pretty sweet deal for no additional cost.

You can have all single-die weapons be armor piercing if you want. You're going to find that it's not that great though. Thanks to Overkill, extra damage after killing a target already goes on to the next target regardless; the only thing Armor Piercing changes is that it lets you go on to the next target without killing the first target. It changes a lot of one-target-one-kill results to two-targets-two-flesh-wounds instead.
stubby

Postby Voin » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

stubby wrote:[
You can have all single-die weapons be armor piercing if you want. You're going to find that it's not that great though. Thanks to Overkill, extra damage after killing a target already goes on to the next target regardless; the only thing Armor Piercing changes is that it lets you go on to the next target without killing the first target. It changes a lot of one-target-one-kill results to two-targets-two-flesh-wounds instead.

Right. So if an AP bullet deals 4 or less damage to an unarmored minifig, it wouldn't kill them any more than a regular would, but passes through. If it deals 5 or more, it passes through, possibly affecting things on the other side.

How would AP work w/ Squads & combined fire?
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Thu May 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:You can have all single-die weapons be armor piercing if you want. You're going to find that it's not that great though. Thanks to Overkill, extra damage after killing a target already goes on to the next target regardless; the only thing Armor Piercing changes is that it lets you go on to the next target without killing the first target. It changes a lot of one-target-one-kill results to two-targets-two-flesh-wounds instead.

Right. So if an AP bullet deals 4 or less damage to an unarmored minifig, it wouldn't kill them any more than a regular would, but passes through. If it deals 5 or more, it passes through, possibly affecting things on the other side.

Right. For a cherry-picked example, say you had 2d6 damage and roll two threes. With AP damage, the first 3 would hit the first guy, not killing him, and the second three would hit the second guy, also not killing him. With non-AP damage, both threes hit the first guy, killing him.

Voin wrote:How would AP work w/ Squads & combined fire?

Same as any other kind of Overkill.
stubby

Postby SynchingShip » Mon May 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Chapter 11 wrote:The Saboteur's player can then activate it at any time, even if the Saboteur himself is dead or on vacation. The Sabotage can activate with the same effect as one of the Engineer's negative Mods, without any need for Rationalizing or minimum stat requirements, or it can be a simple one-use Booby Trap doing d8 Blast Damage to whoever touches it or to the Sabotaged object (and to anything else in the firing arc; treat it as an Automatic Hit from a BlastGun with zero Range).

So wait, can the Blast Damage Booby Trap be activated at any time too, or is that on-contact only? Also, how exactly does "zero Range" work? Does it just do the d8 damage to the thing that touched it & nothing else?

P.S. Does it cost anything to get into a vehicle other than the physical move in inches?
SynchingShip
Champion
Champion

Postby dilanski » Tue May 30, 2017 6:20 am

Out of interest, will we be getting matching art for the Medik, Gunner and Mechanik cards? We have the Hospital 555 for the Medik card, surely there is a Brikwars piece with a Gunner and Mechanik in it.

SynchingShip wrote:P.S. Does it cost anything to get into a vehicle other than the physical move in inches?

I believe opening doors counts as a Move actions, and so does sitting down. Unless you have some complex entry or seating mechanism, which would potentially reduce you to half speed. Just being in proximity of a set of controls should be enough to allow you to operate a construction.
Almond Status: ACTIVATED
dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish

Postby stubby » Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 am

SynchingShip wrote:So wait, can the Blast Damage Booby Trap be activated at any time too, or is that on-contact only?

Any time, at will. The Saboteur either has a remote control or a precise timing mechanism or action-movie-based luck for maximum dramatic impact.

SynchingShip wrote:Also, how exactly does "zero Range" work? Does it just do the d8 damage to the thing that touched it & nothing else?

Zero range means that it takes Out Of Range penalties after the zeroth inch. But that part hasn't been working out well, and is over-fiddly in any case, so I'm changing the booby trap around some. The updated version will probably depend on the Saboteur bringing a hand weapon along and installing the weapon itself into the booby trap. Then the trap effects will be based on whatever happens when the weapon goes off.

dilanski wrote:Out of interest, will we be getting matching art for the Medik, Gunner and Mechanik cards? We have the Hospital 555 for the Medik card, surely there is a Brikwars piece with a Gunner and Mechanik in it.

I've been looking, but haven't found anything I liked yet. I probably need new Mechanik art since I was 90% sure I had permission from Adean to use it, but not 100%, and he's not around anymore to ask.

If any of you guys want to draw card art, feel free. I've often thought about going on fiverr.com and just tossing some $5s and $10s to the guys in the Illustration category just to see what happens.

It'd be funny to make that the BrikWars donation button. I've always thought donation buttons were tacky, but if instead of giving money to me, it gave money to some starving artist to make bad lego art, it'd totally be worth it.

dilanski wrote:
SynchingShip wrote:P.S. Does it cost anything to get into a vehicle other than the physical move in inches?

I believe opening doors counts as a Move actions, and so does sitting down. Unless you have some complex entry or seating mechanism, which would potentially reduce you to half speed. Just being in proximity of a set of controls should be enough to allow you to operate a construction.

It's all free. Up until about a year ago, we had rules where opening doors and putting on seatbelts etc. cost move inches, but it slowed down the game for no real reason. So I took all that out. As long as you can reach the controls, you're good to go.
stubby

Postby Colette » Tue May 30, 2017 9:55 am

stubby wrote:
dilanski wrote:

It's all free. Up until about a year ago, we had rules where opening doors and putting on seatbelts etc. cost move inches, but it slowed down the game for no real reason. So I took all that out. As long as you can reach the controls, you're good to go.

Unless it's a velociraptor. Then doors will slow it down, but won't stop it.
Because everything's better with math.
Colette
Catastrophe Magnet

Postby Darkstorm » Tue May 30, 2017 10:07 am

I want to ask about how I would use a portal as a weapon. I have made this tank that utilizes a portal that launches bombs or other stuff that was dropped from great heights elsewhere into portal 1 and then transported to portal 2 and subsequently shoot out at high velocity. HOW would I stat that? (the portal is 3-4", can be fudged either way) :???:
The darkness is coming... Darkstorm will rise! Death to all who oppose us!
My Faction:Darkstorm Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
Darkstorm
oh god

Postby SynchingShip » Tue May 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Darkstorm wrote:I want to ask about how I would use a portal as a weapon. I have made this tank that utilizes a portal that launches bombs or other stuff that was dropped from great heights elsewhere into portal 1 and then transported to portal 2 and subsequently shoot out at high velocity. HOW would I stat that? (the portal is 3-4", can be fudged either way) :???:

I dunno about the "velocity increase" thing, but as far as portals go, I've seen this:

Voin wrote:Stationary Portals
Buy these as a Difficult Terrain Field Hazard, paying the cost for the distance between the point of entry and point of arrival. The lack of having any unit that passes that line be affected is offset by the security of the portal (pass from one bunker to another without going through the battlefield in between). For portal networks, it takes an operator (his name is Walter) an Action to dial in a new address.

PortalGun

This was a triumph.

PortalGun: Cost: Sizex3CP+1; Use: (Size +2); Range: (Size x 4) +2"; Effect: See below.

Bastard PortalGun (Two-Handed): 6CP; Use: 3; Range: 10"; Effect: See below.

I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

A portal gun is a Gun that fires linked Portals instead of doing damage.

It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

A PortalGun's portal radius is equal to the Size of the PortalGun, and the flat surface that the portal opens on must be wide enough for the portal to fit on it.

Aperture Science

Units hoping to go through the portal must be able to fit within the portal radius.

We do what we must
because we can.

A PortalGun can only have two portals open at any given time, and they must be linked to each other.

For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.

Since you can only fire a weapon once per turn, it takes 2 turns to set up a pair of linked orange/blue portals - a fair trade for such an endlessly fun ability.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake.
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Once you set up a pair of linked portals, firing the gun subsequent times removes the portal of the second-to-last color you placed & fires it at a new surface.

And the Science gets done.
And you make a neat gun.
For the people who are still alive.

The prongs of the Portal Gun can also be used as a Gross Manipulator.

Though this is more a question for the "How would you stat... ?" thread, IMO
SynchingShip
Champion
Champion

Postby AlAtEx » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:50 pm

How would supernatural armor dice work on constructs?
(http://brikwars.com/rules/2010/10.htm)
AlAtEx
Nice Dubs

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook