Cover and Shields

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Cover and Shields

Post by Gungnir » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:25 pm

A heavy shield would also be strapped to a minifig's arm. Nobody would want to carry around a heavy metal slab everywhere if they had to actively hold it.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Why can't you just say that a shield is just an armour plate that can be picked up and dropped at will (just in terms of ranged combat)? seems to make perfect sense to me.

Keep in mind that cover is for situations where you're trying to hit the target, but you might accidentally hit the cover instead. If you're shooting at a guy with a huge shield, chances are you're trying to just shoot through the thing. That's why I think it should act more like armour than cover.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:21 pm

aoffan23 wrote:Why can't you just say that a shield is just an armour plate that can be picked up and dropped at will (just in terms of ranged combat)? seems to make perfect sense to me.

Keep in mind that cover is for situations where you're trying to hit the target, but you might accidentally hit the cover instead. If you're shooting at a guy with a huge shield, chances are you're trying to just shoot through the thing. That's why I think it should act more like armour than cover.
A good perspective on it. Not to mention, against small-arms fire, doing it this way is more powerful than going by cover.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:54 pm

My hope is that shields affect ranged combat so rarely that they almost never matter. They can't be used to Parry a ranged attack, and it's only in very very rare cases that they'll happen to shield an entire minifig section (head, torso, legs) from a shooter's view. That's why the Heavy Infantry's "Shield Wall" specialty will be so unique: it'll make shields effective as non-Parrying armor.

If I make regular shields as effective as armor plates against gunfire, then I'll have to give them the same half-move penalty to balance it out. But in real life, soldiers didn't carry shields that heavy. They were designed for active parrying rather than passive blocking.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Maybe you could create a second category for shields. Small shields would only come into play in hand-to-hand combat, whereas large shields could be used to brotect against ranged attacks.

I know I just spent two posts talking about making things simpler, but I just feel like large shields fit into so many settings. Tower shields, riot shields, personal force fields (I haven't read the rules for force fields yet, so I don't know how well they apply here). These aren't very effective in close combat because their size limits the ability to swing them (and force fields tend not to block people). My thought is that CC shields (or small shields) would be used to parry HTH attacks, and only confer the Armoured bonus in those situations, while projectile shields (or large shields) would grant the Armoured bonus against ranged attacks, and act as a portable armour plate.

This may make things too complicated, but I just feel like it would be useful for creating that differentiation.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:21 am

I'm willing to abstract this away to keep things simple. Smaller shields are easier to swing, but larger shields cover more area, so I don't see any problem with making them equally effective in close combat from a mechanical standpoint. The size difference will make an effect if they can be used for cover, but the physical pieces and sightlines take care of that by themselves without having to add any new rules.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:24 pm

aoffan23 wrote:brotect

aoffan23

Post by aoffan23 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm

I spotted that when reading stubby's reply, but I decided it was much better to leave it.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
I agree with Warhead.