Vehicle Damage?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Vehicle Damage?

Post by doodstormer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:04 pm

Hello all.
I was reading the rules, and found the vehicle damage system to be utterly ridiculous, as i spend hours on vehicles and wouldn't enjoy having to dig through the battlefield amongst another person's lego just to reassemble it. I was wondering if someone has a vehicle damage system that doesn't involve disassembling your hard built creation?

Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Post by Tiny Tank Rannon » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:16 pm

easy, once one part is destroyed, it is flipped over and useless.

yes, that's it, or be a wuss out and just remove the damaged parts from the table with your godlike ability to fudge the rules.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:32 pm

Read the 2001 rules, AKA, the Supplement Rules. They talk about the Brikwussie's way to do it. basically, you just put black pips next to the destoryed part. Once the whole thing is fried, take it off the battlefield. Me, I just leave them where they lie. This is quite fun with flying vehicles, because a crashed fighter provides an instant trench.
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm

There are two kinds of damage described in 7.5: Taking Damage. If you want to avoid taking your creations apart, just play without Component Damage, and stick to the General Damage system only.

I seem to remember there used to be a sidebar comment specifically about that, but I don't see it now. Maybe it was just in the 2001 book. I should go and add it back in, I'm sure there are other people wondering about that.

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Thank you Rayhawk.
My idea, which I'm still working on, is to split the vehicle into parts on a seperate piece of paper, and list ammo, crew, and weapons that each part contains, along with armor. I was thinking that would allow for a little variety, as in someone could shoot at the part containing ammo and detonate the whole thing, etc.
Also, what's with this "Brickwussie" crap? Is there something wrong with wanting to have a battlecruiser for more than one game?

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 pm

So what you're saying is that, given a choice between destroying stuff and not destroying stuff, you prefer the not destroying stuff one? That sounds pretty suspicious to me.

DarkWolf
Officer

Post by DarkWolf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Rayhawk wrote:So what you're saying is that, given a choice between destroying stuff and not destroying stuff, you prefer the not destroying stuff one? That sounds pretty suspicious to me.
Indeed. There is but one course of action. Will shall burn him at the stake, and the let the Cleansing Flames decide if he is a BrikWarrior, or a BrikWussie. In the meantime, this has reminded me to make my Clint Eastwood meets the Spanish Inquisiton minifig already
"For every battle honour, a thousand heros die alone, unsung and unremembered"
--Anonymous
"Glory to the first man to die!"
--Commissar saying
"When in doubt, empty the magazine!"
--Steel Legion motto

doodstormer
Cannon Fodder

Post by doodstormer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Rayhawk wrote:So what you're saying is that, given a choice between destroying stuff and not destroying stuff, you prefer the not destroying stuff one? That sounds pretty suspicious to me.
Um... what?
I prefer that if I destroy stuff, it can be fixed. as in, detaching a wing versus smashing something into the ground with parts flying.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:13 pm

a brikwussie is one who does not wish to see their hard work destroyed.

there's really an art to taking things apart without taking them apart. personally, for component damage i just drop said component on the ground by the vehicle. when my vehicles take damage, i throw on a brik as a damage counter. when my vehicles are finally utterly destroyed, i rip off some main, crucial elements and lay the wreck aside. NOT NECESSARILY tearing the piece into individual briks, but taking apart vehicles at places that are generally removable.

for example if i had a battletank blown up (let's assume standard tank configuration: treads, a body and a rotating turret), i'd remove the turret and probably slice the barrel of the main gun into a few pieces for that jack-in-the-box effect, and knock off the treads. other than that, the tank is still mostly in one piece. it just happens to be one defunct piece. after the battle, you just sort through your big pieces of smashed tank to put it back together. and besides: big pieces of wreckage are much easier to use as cover than little pieces. big pieces are also much more likely to crush infantry. basically, big pieces are more fun.

Carda
Officer

Post by Carda » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 am

Agreed. It's not necessarily about dissecting each vehicle down to the individual brik, it's more about snapping apart a few main components.

If you really, REALLY don't want to take anything apart, you can always make up some rule that says all your vehicles run on unstable nuclear-fusion power cores that vaporize the vehicle if the core is breached (i.e. the vehicle takes "lethal" damage), leaving nothing but a smoke-filled crater in its wake. That would give you a good (yet suitably destructive) reason to remove things from the battlefield rather than disassembling them.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

Houndis
Officer

Post by Houndis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 am

I agree with IV here, when some vehicle gets blown up, tear it to few parts. If a truck explodes, get the roof, doors and something else off it. It's not too good idea to tear the poor vehicle into little pieces. As IV said, bigger parts give better cover and make things funnier.
Elämän tie läpi varjojen vie.
~Terapia
<><

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:33 am

When I was much younger (way before Brikwars), I would build all kinds of flyers. When I would play in my living room and they got shot out of the sky, I would throw them as hard as I could into the banister of my staircase. Needless to say the posts would rip my poor creation a new one and it would be utterly fantastic to watch. One time though I actually broke one of the posts when throwing a particularly big creation and so I haven't been doing that anymore.

I've since discovered that walls work just as well. :twisted:
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:When I was much younger (way before Brikwars), I would build all kinds of flyers. When I would play in my living room and they got shot out of the sky, I would throw them as hard as I could into the banister of my staircase. Needless to say the posts would rip my poor creation a new one and it would be utterly fantastic to watch. One time though I actually broke one of the posts when throwing a particularly big creation and so I haven't been doing that anymore.

I've since discovered that walls work just as well. :twisted:
okay. big pieces aren't ALWAYS funnier, as benny has so vividly pointed out.

King of Brix
Minifig

Post by King of Brix » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

But both are good ways of doing it... I have my vehicles kinda go everywhere, because me and Dan don't really mind if our collections get messed up a bit.
Red Clay Studios Click here, and read my latest battle report! More coming soon.

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:33 pm

if you realy have a goood vehichle design it so it can be tacken apart easily by component
-first build parts cockpit,wepons,armor wheel casings ecet...
-second use 1by1 round plates to atach the parts so that you can take them off the main moddle without ruining anything but the "dots"
this dosnt look nearly as nice but is a good compramise between 2 extreams.

however if a vehicle gets destroyed in a battle you realy shouldn't be able to use it in the next game anyway so just tear em to pieces