"Leader" units

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Re: "Leader" units

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 am

So if a leader uses a scapegoat benny to lets say boost the skill roll of a squad, does only one unit get buffed or the entire squad?

On a side note, I have been playing with the new overskill rules and to be honest stubby I did not like trying to keep track of all the overskill dice and the critical successes. It also felt like the damaged ramped up a bit to fast with explosives and expert skilled units and up their CC attacks. Single grenades turned into artillery shells a bit to often and expert skilled units and up where to easily chopping through metal vehicles with pretty high armor values. The damage ramps up really fast, a bit to fast in my opinion.

I think that at least for myself I'm just going to stick to 1d6 Overskill Bennies for rolls of 6+ and the actual skill die rolles as a Overskill Benny only on max skill rolls. I'm also just going to ignore the bonus d6 if somebody chooses to use overskill.

So for a unit with 1d8 skill he would get a 1d6 Overskill Benny on a natural roll of 6+ and a 1d8 Overskill Benny on a natural roll of 8.
A hero would get the same 1d6 Overskill Benny on a roll of 6+ and a 1d10 Overskill Benny on a roll of 10.
I feel like this dampens the damage ramp a bit to a more normal level.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Post by RedRover » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:24 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:So if a leader uses a scapegoat benny to lets say boost the skill roll of a squad, does only one unit get buffed or the entire squad?

On a side note, I have been playing with the new overskill rules and to be honest stubby I did not like trying to keep track of all the overskill dice and the critical successes. It also felt like the damaged ramped up a bit to fast with explosives and expert skilled units and up their CC attacks. Single grenades turned into artillery shells a bit to often and expert skilled units and up where to easily chopping through metal vehicles with pretty high armor values. The damage ramps up really fast, a bit to fast in my opinion.

I think that at least for myself I'm just going to stick to 1d6 Overskill Bennies for rolls of 6+ and the actual skill die rolles as a Overskill Benny only on max skill rolls. I'm also just going to ignore the bonus d6 if somebody chooses to use overskill.

So for a unit with 1d8 skill he would get a 1d6 Overskill Benny on a natural roll of 6+ and a 1d8 Overskill Benny on a natural roll of 8.
A hero would get the same 1d6 Overskill Benny on a roll of 6+ and a 1d10 Overskill Benny on a roll of 10.
I feel like this dampens the damage ramp a bit to a more normal level.
If a hero with 1d10 skilled rolled an 8 or 9, would they get 1d8 overskill?

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:54 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:So if a leader uses a scapegoat benny to lets say boost the skill roll of a squad, does only one unit get buffed or the entire squad?
As it stands right now in the draft rules, the entire squad gets buffed, but only for its combined action. If all the squad members are doing individual things, they would need individual buffs.
*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:On a side note, I have been playing with the new overskill rules and to be honest stubby I did not like trying to keep track of all the overskill dice and the critical successes.
I moved this part of the discussion back over to the 2010 feedback thread, since it got kind of in-depth: Post 318491
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:28 am

Hmm. I'm going to say that it goes by whatever the unit's original, permanent value is.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:04 am

Yeah obviously the whole trick to scapegoating is to scapegoat a unit that's about to get crushed by a catapult shot or got his limbs chopped off.
So cursing a unit and then scapegoating them seems fine.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Essentially, yeah. I actually kind of like forcing the player to decide whether it's worth committing Actions and resources to sabotaging a scapegoat, when they're already in a desperate enough position to need a scapegoat in the first place.

Also, it's just thematically appropriate. Anybody who's had a boss who habitually throws his people under buses will learn to recognize the sabotaging that leads up to it.