"Leader" units

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Re: "Leader" units

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Why not treat a heroic sacrifice like a heroic weapon? Add another die to the roll, use whichever comes highest. Boom.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Silent-sigfig » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:26 pm

"Leader" Stats

Every time a player has a hero use a feat to "summon reinforcements" or "motivate the troops", the player rolls a D6. The resulting number is the number of times the opposing player(s) may kick the original player in the nuts for attempting such a shitty feat. (No critical failures, unless the kicker(s) screw up. Critical successes still apply.)
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:

Coolest 1000th post ever :D
Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Postby Zupponn » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:41 pm

If there are multiple opposing players then they all get to kick d6 times.
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Postby Darthnox129 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I think the officer would be better off as being similarsimilar to the 2005 ed one that makes squad forming free, but I would add some cp and give it a minor buff effect, for example one officer could give a +1 bonus to skill, damage, move, or armor, and you could pick an effect each time he joins or forms a new squad. (Not when reforming a squad though, and you would have to wait one turn after disbanding a squad to form one, otherwise people would choose move buff, move up to an enemy, reform and pick skill buff, attack, reform and pick damage buff, then reform and pick armor before the turn ended. LOL for OPness)
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.
Darthnox129
Champion
Champion

Postby stubby » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am

Squad forming is going to always be free in bw2010. The Officer skill bonus is only going to apply to Actions that the Officer takes part in, and like everyone else, Officers only get one Action per turn, so there's a hard limit on how often you can use his bonus.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Voin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:54 pm

How about a "General" unit (higher-ranked than a common Ociffer), that would grant broad-reaching army-wide bonuses, but also a severe penalty if killed or captured?

For example:

General (+3 CP):
A unit with this ability is able to make his commands heard across the battlefield, and entire armies follow his lead. As a full-round action (taking up their Attack and Move for that turn), a General may impart one of the following bonuses to the whole army of their faction by instituting sweeping changes in doctrine and strategy:

Hold the Line: +1 to Armor
Strike Fast: +1 to Move
Strike Hard: +1 to Damage
Best of the Best: +1 to Skill Rolls

A General may switch to granting a different bonus with another full-round action.

A General is subject to the same Crankiness rules as Heroes, so you can have multiple Generals on the battlefield, granting different bonuses, but having to compete with each other for asserting command and having the shiniest bling-of-war will drive them nuts.

If your General is killed or captured, the bonus they were granting turns into a penalty instead. So a +1 to Armor becomes a -1 to Armor if your General is forcibly removed from duty. So the more Generals you have, the more potential for the enemy to seriously gimp you.

Obviously, the bigger the armies on the field, the more this specialty will pay dividends with net boosts of stats.
Voin
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Change that +1 to skill rolls into +1 die size and you might have an idea.
IVhorseman

Postby loafofcheese » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:19 am

IVhorseman wrote:Change that +1 to skill rolls into +1 die size and you might have an idea.

I like that, but will it apply to heroes? Heroes seem like they don't play by the rules and should not get a die size increase from the general.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Jaw-Jaw

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:24 am

I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.
IVhorseman

Postby stubby » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am

IVhorseman wrote:I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.

I like this. Heroes are the maverick cops who don't play by the rules and generals are always threatening to take their badges.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby loafofcheese » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:01 pm

stubby wrote:
IVhorseman wrote:I kinda feel like heroes are too showboaty to pay attention to generals at all.

I like this. Heroes are the maverick cops who don't play by the rules and generals are always threatening to take their badges.

Sounds good.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
loafofcheese
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Voin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:34 pm

I suppose you could modify "+1 to Skill Roll" to "up 1 Skill Die", but here's my reasoning for statting it out like I did:

6. It lets the regular ol' Officers still have something to do, regardless of if a General is present or not.

7. It's +1 to Skill Roll, not to Skill Rating. I know it's easy to miss the difference at first, but it's a significant one. So a fig's Skill Rating is still 1d6. It's just whatever it rolls on that d6 is gonna have 1 added to it, after the roll. A Critical Fail (roll of 1) is still a Crit Fail. But a Critical Success (Roll of 6, which entitles it to roll another d6 until it stops rolling 6s), gets a +1 to the result, as does any roll above a 1. This is similar to how Gunners can give other Gunners a +1 Bonus to Attack Rolls.

On a related note, increasing Skill Die size lessens your chances of critical success. A regular fig gets a crit-hit appx. one out of 6 rolls, while a Hero only gets one every 10 rolls.
Voin
Dimmy

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:15 am

Time and time again has shown from experience that adding static values to skill rolls severely fucks up the way things work. +1 means that a rifle or pistol shot will hit 5/6 times it is fired, which is flat out unfun.

the critical thing is indeed true. Any minifig always has the choice to "underskill" and use a smaller die for this reason.
IVhorseman

Postby Voin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:06 am

IVhorseman wrote:Time and time again has shown from experience that adding static values to skill rolls severely fucks up the way things work. +1 means that a rifle or pistol shot will hit 5/6 times it is fired, which is flat out unfun.

Does it? What about Gunnery support? Big targets? Height advantage? Any number of other minor numerical adjustments?

IVhorseman wrote:the critical thing is indeed true. Any minifig always has the choice to "underskill" and use a smaller die for this reason.

They can? This is the first time I've heard of it.
Voin
Dimmy

Postby Darthnox129 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:19 am

stubby wrote:Squad forming is going to always be free in bw2010.

Sorry, didn't know this. In my homebrew squad rules, which are crappy (and not on the forums so don't look for them!) you need an officer to form a squad. I think those squads might be broken though, so I'm going to redo them when I have time.

stubby wrote:The Officer skill bonus is only going to apply to Actions that the Officer takes part in, and like everyone else, Officers only get one Action per turn, so there's a hard limit on how often you can use his bonus.

Oh, that's a little disappointing. But thanks for the info nonetheless!
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.
Darthnox129
Champion
Champion

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook