Page 2 of 2

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am
by Tzan
During my PrepFire Phase I have 3 squads, a light machinegun and my 9-2 leader named Warhead, fire at a stack of pwnies 3 hexes away in a stone building.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 pm
by IVhorseman
Did you factor in their improved cover? You're gonna need to increase your critical threat-range if you want to whittle down that stack on the first part of your turn-phase.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm
by stubby
Bluefog wrote:A side note... has anyone noticed that you usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end? Has happened like for my friends and I quite often, and we always hope for our last rolls to be a double kill so that everyone on the battle field dies.

This should happen quite a bit in infantry-heavy battles if you're using the redshirt rules properly.  Everyone else on the battlefield are just hit points for the heroes.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 am
by Bluefog
stubby wrote:
Bluefog wrote:A side note... has anyone noticed that you usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end? Has happened like for my friends and I quite often, and we always hope for our last rolls to be a double kill so that everyone on the battle field dies.

This should happen quite a bit in infantry-heavy battles if you're using the redshirt rules properly.  Everyone else on the battlefield are just hit points for the heroes.


Nice. I'm doing it right... and a redshirt has to be 5 or 6" away right?

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 am
by stubby
A redshirt has to be within 1d6". When the Hero needs a redshirt, he rolls 1d6 and chooses a friendly unit within that many inches. As usual, a roll of 1 is a Critical Failure (no one redshirts), and a roll of 6 earns Bonus Dice (meaning the Hero can potentially pull in redshirts from much further away).

If a Hero is part of a squad plate, then other squad members can automatically redshirt for him without having to make the 1d6" roll.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:45 pm
by Bluefog
I've been giving redshirts standard movement plus an angry inch. I figure they're lackeys and don't get a choice in the matter, they're gonna die so their hero can live.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm
by stubby
In that case, your battles will usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 pm
by Gungnir
I try to have my hero go straight for the other guy's hero. Slaughtering everything in the way and blocking shots with the bodies of his allies.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 pm
by IVhorseman
Bluefog wrote:I've been giving redshirts standard movement plus an angry inch. I figure they're lackeys and don't get a choice in the matter, they're gonna die so their hero can live.


I dub this hyper-awesome-mode.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 am
by Bluefog
stubby wrote:In that case, your battles will usually end up with two heroes battling it out at the end.



Haha, yeah. It's pretty funny, most times now unless someone is stupid and puts their hero alone somewhere it ends like this. Basically, until the hero is the last piece left, we won't even target him/her because what's the point? Might as well just take out all the redshirts... I dunno though, I might try having the redshirts needing to be 1d6" away... hmmm...

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:56 pm
by Quantumsurfer
Bluefog wrote:we won't even target him/her because what's the point?


Grinding it down, a minifig takes up about an inch to an inch and a half of space.  If they aren't packed onto a squad plate, they're likely spread out a bit.  Say, maybe an inch or two between them.  Unless put on the plate, I don't really see very many redshirts standing around within 6 inches.  At most, say around 5 to 8, most of whom will be standing on the extreme edge of that radius.  Each face on a d6 is around a 16% chance, so pulling in the majority of those available redshirts poses between a 16 to 32% chance, really.  Hero naturally chooses those within a safer radius (I don't know, maybe) but if he does, he's limited to 2 or 3 safe sacrifices in a turn.  It gets harder to pull them in from further away and requires bonus dice from anyone outside the 6" radius.  So, from a generally mathematical point of view, it seems worth it to put the hero under lots of fire and crush him quickly by chewing through his available safe redshirts and counting on that failed inspire roll.

But I don't know, that gives me a headache.  So here's how I see it instead.  I find it more fun to target the hero instead of the redshirts for several reasons.  Heroes who pull the bullshit and make several armor rolls in a row, especially against heavier damaging weapons, makes them seem more awesome.  Everyone around the table cheers for the Hero.  Choruses of "Oh, my god," "How the FUCK?" and "NOWAI!" make the game seem more fun.  What's more, the potential for hilarity exists in the system of being able to redshirt from across the table with high enough bonus dice rolls.  Once, I redshirted the pilot of a helicopter overhead, which then crashed into the ground and killed all remaining combatants.  I think rules systems like that are what help to ensure everyone wins.

Re: Fire and Movement

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:57 pm
by Bluefog
Quantumsurfer wrote: Once, I redshirted the pilot of a helicopter overhead, which then crashed into the ground and killed all remaining combatants.  I think rules systems like that are what help to ensure everyone wins.



Hahaha. That's awesome... and yeah, that's the aspect of the game I like, basically everyone dies and we're all laughing our asses off.