Bayonets

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Kirillyos
Officer

Bayonets

Post by Kirillyos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:44 pm

I'd just like to get some feedback on this...

I decided to make my Union soldiers with bayonets attached to their rifles (for realism). I know the official rules don't cover this, so I just bought it as two separate weapons - Long-Range and Heavy, and the stats depend on how the soldier is using it in a given turn.

Thoughts on this from my fellow Brikwarriors?
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

cleanupcrew
Catastrophe Magnet

Re: Bayonets

Post by cleanupcrew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Kirillyos wrote:I'd just like to get some feedback on this...

I decided to make my Union soldiers with bayonets attached to their rifles (for realism). I know the official rules don't cover this, so I just bought it as two separate weapons - Long-Range and Heavy, and the stats depend on how the soldier is using it in a given turn.

Thoughts on this from my fellow Brikwarriors?
Check IV's Plastik Armory, open the Weapons tab- there are his homebrew rules for bayonets.

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Thanks!
LEGO are like boobs - designed for kids, but adults have plenty of fun playing with them too. ;)

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm

If Colette had bothered to read my bit on bayonets, he'd tell you you're already doing it right. The only thing you can't do with a bayonet is parry melee attacks, and that should be pretty much common sense.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:10 am

But you could use the rifle to parry only it would count as a minifig tool right?
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:06 am

I guess? I personally wouldn't allow it because a bayonet is waaaay too unwieldy, and I think parrying with even a hammer or screwdriver would be more feasible.

Either way, you're still better off just hoping you survive the melee attack and jabbing with a counter-attack.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:21 am

My only addition to this subject is that when you actually make the minifigs up, you might want to consider using universal clips from BrickArms.com to clip the knives to the rifles - you can get them here.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:27 pm

IVhorseman wrote:If Colette had bothered to read my bit on bayonets, he'd tell you you're already doing it right. The only thing you can't do with a bayonet is parry melee attacks, and that should be pretty much common sense.
Yeah, it seemed pretty intuitive, since the two weapon systems operate independently of one another. The main convenience is that you have one soldier is carrying a two-in-one weapon, which makes him more versatile, and thus cost-effective (even if you don't use CP costs, there are still things like amount of actual briks, amount of RAM for LEGO-CAD battles, and space available on the battlefield or structures).
IVhorseman wrote:I guess? I personally wouldn't allow it because a bayonet is waaaay too unwieldy, and I think parrying with even a hammer or screwdriver would be more feasible.

Either way, you're still better off just hoping you survive the melee attack and jabbing with a counter-attack.
I've served in the US military, and thus have had real-life experience with bayonet fighting - we just stick them on the ends of M-16s now instead of a Springfield Rifle Musket). As you said, it would be highly impractical to try to parry with the actual pointy end. If you're gonna parry a melee attack with a rifle, you're better off gripping it with two hands at the butt (heh) and near the muzzle and blocking with it like you would with a staff. So... in Brikwars terms, this would probably just translate into "parry with random object" stats.
pkbrennan wrote:My only addition to this subject is that when you actually make the minifigs up, you might want to consider using universal clips from BrickArms.com to clip the knives to the rifles - you can get them here.
I know, those parts are awesome (I don't know why LEGO never made any like that), but the LeoCAD program that I was using to make that model didn't have those.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:06 pm

Kirillyos wrote:I've served in the US military, and thus have had real-life experience with bayonet fighting - we just stick them on the ends of M-16s now instead of a Springfield Rifle Musket). As you said, it would be highly impractical to try to parry with the actual pointy end. If you're gonna parry a melee attack with a rifle, you're better off gripping it with two hands at the butt (heh) and near the muzzle and blocking with it like you would with a staff. So... in Brikwars terms, this would probably just translate into "parry with random object" stats.
I haven't, but I'm glad it works like I thought it would. Technically, attacks made with rifles ARE considered tools instead of random objects, but tactically the better option is probably the counter-attack(a bayonet is longer than most melee weapons to boot). Or better yet, set them up against a charge!

Kirillyos
Officer

Post by Kirillyos » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:19 pm

IVhorseman wrote:tactically the better option is probably the counter-attack(a bayonet is longer than most melee weapons to boot). Or better yet, set them up against a charge!
Amen to that, brother! Spit em' like a roast hog!

Pwnerade
Mega Blok

Post by Pwnerade » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:02 am

Fending off cavalry is what bayonets were made for! Just remember that you can only use a weapon for one thing at a time. No stabbing and shooting in the same turn.
An army marches on its stomach, and its favorite food is fudge.

pkbrennan
Minifig

Post by pkbrennan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am

Especially not for that time period because for a long time musket bayonets were plug bayonets - they were stuck down the end of the barrel, not slung underneath.
The World of Pekab & the Anarcho-Syndicalist Adventurers Guild <== new site

"Everything needs more Dakka, including the Dakka..."