Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Coriolanus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 pm

157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size? It is not directly addressed in the rules and the question came up about a dozen times the last main battle with my group. At first I thought it sort of mirrored base cost-for a d10 armored something you would spend 1d10 to match the armor and then another die to add whatever was rolled inches of size, but that allowed things to inflate too easily. What we settled on for the immediate purposes was for every time you spent enough dice to match the structure level, you added one inch of size.
Is there an official ruling on this?
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
Coriolanus
Hero

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Coriolanus wrote:156. Has there been a definitive ruling on how squads take damage from weapons that normally damage everybody? (explosions, flamethrowers, arc-fire) The 2005 rules said that damage is distributed to each squad member, but as I recall it did not directly address the question. I have always read it that all types of damage are taken as a squad, but this creates problems with flamethrowers, since the only way for a flamethrower to damage any squad members is if the flamethrower is larger than the squad, which doesn't make sense.

Just figure out where the flamethrower is aiming (roughly), and roll damage for the squad members in that area.

Coriolanus wrote:157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size? It is not directly addressed in the rules and the question came up about a dozen times the last main battle with my group. At first I thought it sort of mirrored base cost-for a d10 armored something you would spend 1d10 to match the armor and then another die to add whatever was rolled inches of size, but that allowed things to inflate too easily. What we settled on for the immediate purposes was for every time you spent enough dice to match the structure level, you added one inch of size.
Is there an official ruling on this?

I don't think you can use SN dice for that within the regular rules, so you'd have to homebrew it. What your group came up with sounds reasonable, but I haven't had enough experience with large scale battles to be sure.
"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 pm

158. How would you resolve a ranged attack against a unit who has full cover from a heavy shield, like so:

I'm thinking that you'd just make a Use roll at a -3 penalty, and then let the shielded minifig roll to parry the damage, but I'm not sure.
"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zupponn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:38 pm

I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Zupponn wrote:I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.

No, I meant the people shooting at them with the shield would have a -3 penalty to their use roll, since that's the same penalty for firing on a target with full cover (I think).
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Zupponn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Zupponn wrote:I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.

No, I meant the people shooting at them with the shield would have a -3 penalty to their use roll, since that's the same penalty for firing on a target with full cover (I think).

I know. That's what i meant.
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Heavy shields differ from regular shields when it comes to ranged attacks in the sense that they provide a cover bonus to the minifig carrying the shield. You never roll to parry a ranged attack (unless it's a reasonably slow projectile) with the normal rules.

Also in the normal rules, a minifig with ANY part of their body exposed can get 2/3 cover at most. In your example, there is a slit for the minifig to see through in the shield, which is a gap large enough for a bullet or other projectile to conceivably fit through. As such, there's a -2 penalty.

If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly. Of course, the minifig carrying the shield would suffer from the same effect.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:41 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Heavy shields differ from regular shields when it comes to ranged attacks in the sense that they provide a cover bonus to the minifig carrying the shield. You never roll to parry a ranged attack (unless it's a reasonably slow projectile) with the normal rules.

Also in the normal rules, a minifig with ANY part of their body exposed can get 2/3 cover at most. In your example, there is a slit for the minifig to see through in the shield, which is a gap large enough for a bullet or other projectile to conceivably fit through. As such, there's a -2 penalty.

If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly. Of course, the minifig carrying the shield would suffer from the same effect.

Ok, now I get it. thanks.
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Coriolanus wrote:157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size?

You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

Now that Power is coming back into the game, I may be re-adding Power as an effect category.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Coriolanus » Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 pm

stubby wrote:You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

Now that Power is coming back into the game, I may be re-adding Power as an effect category.

As I recall, Darkseid was ripping off a turret, but first he used SN dice to increase his effective size to make it easier; so that part could be handled by power.
Before the round of turns was finished, Superman came and punched him in the face, which did enough damage to overcome Darkseid's armor once. After a quick discussion, we decided that since Darkseid's effective size was still increased from the previous turn, he would take one point of size damage and then need to continually spend SN dice to maintain an effective size of at least one in order to stay alive, analogous to a compensating heavy. I'm still not sure if that is the best way to handle it though. It seemed a little overpowered to be able to increase effectiveness that easily.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
Coriolanus
Hero

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Coriolanus wrote:
stubby wrote:You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

As I recall, Darkseid was ripping off a turret, but first he used SN dice to increase his effective size to make it easier; so that part could be handled by power.
Before the round of turns was finished, Superman came and punched him in the face, which did enough damage to overcome Darkseid's armor once. After a quick discussion, we decided that since Darkseid's effective size was still increased from the previous turn, he would take one point of size damage and then need to continually spend SN dice to maintain an effective size of at least one in order to stay alive, analogous to a compensating heavy. I'm still not sure if that is the best way to handle it though. It seemed a little overpowered to be able to increase effectiveness that easily.

It may seem overpowered, but the tradeoff is that the 6CP worth of SN Dice (the 1d10) would then be perpetually 'sacrificed' to make that happen. The 1d10 is now essentially unusable for anything else (except maybe a personal self-detonation when he get's tired of 'not dying').
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Postby Battlegrinder » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

How much does it cost to give a minifig extra HP? I'm thinking of buffing my Ranger squad slightly, and part of that upgrade would be to give them an extra HP, but I'm not sure how much that would cost (which is something I need to know for balance purposes, at least).
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:How much does it cost to give a minifig extra HP? I'm thinking of buffing my Ranger squad slightly, and part of that upgrade would be to give them an extra HP, but I'm not sure how much that would cost (which is something I need to know for balance purposes, at least).

BrikWars doesn't have rules for HP. How would HP work, if you added them to your battle?
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:39 pm

IVhorseman wrote:If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly.

This has never really sat right with me. I get how firing blindly would apply to cover; for example if you're behind a wall it's hard for someone to know what part of the wall you're behind. You could be ducking, lying down, or even moving behind it. The point is that even though the person firing knows you're behind the wall, but no idea where you are behind the wall, hence the skill penalty. The thing about shields is that they're only there to cover and move with the wielder. If you're shooting at a shield, it's because you know there's a guy carrying said shield, and you're trying to get through to where you know the guy will be.

Let's say you were trying to shoot the engine of a car. You have to shoot through the hood, but you know the engine is under it because the purpose of the hood is to protect said engine, and they move as part of the same object. Since the hood completely covers the engine, would you be firing blindly at the engine, even though you know exactly where it is under the hood?
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
Pooplord

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Absolutely, although the size of the engine could lower the penalty substantially. Keep in mind that a bullet loses force when entering a hood and that numerous other factors attribute to the engine being harder to get a good hit on like Bonn-o-Tron.

The same applies to these shield guys. The size of a shield you'd need to get that -5 penalty going would have to be pretty enormous as-is, so knowing where the guy is could be a bit more difficult. Remember, we're talking about a shield SO CARTOONISHLY HUGE that it completely covers the wielder, to the point that even he would be unable to see what the hell he's marching towards. Practical? Maybe not. But very Brikwars.
IVhorseman

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook