Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 am

Piercing should be once per inch; I need to re-write the examples.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:00 am

stubby wrote:Piercing should be once per inch; I need to re-write the examples.
Also, how do you determine where a piercing shot hits on a structure? Seems like it could be abused if it is shooters choice, especially on larger vehicles where you get size bonuses to hit.

Say A minifig is in 2/3 cover, and I try and hit them with a size 2 (1d6 AP, 1d8 blast) shotgun. Do I disregard the (-2) cover penalty due to the piercing effect? How do I determine if they are hit through the cover (taking 1d8-N" blast damage) or if the shot hit them in their protruding head (taking only 1d6-N" piercing damage).
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 am

Defender always chooses where a shot lands, within the confines of the hit. If a shooter is taking the +2 bonus for a 4" target, the defender gets to choose whichever spot within the 4" he wants. If the attacker wants to hit a specific spot, he's not shooting at the full 4" target in general anymore, so he doesn't get the +2.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:00 pm

6: Suppose two Minifigs, one with Heavy Armor(and therefore 1 level of deflection), the other with an AP Short Range Weapon. If the second shoots the first, and manages to hit, the first Mini takes 1d6 damage, correct?

7: If the above is correct, what reasons are there for Minifigs to carry non-AP weapons? The only thing I can come up with is for the possibility of overskill and instant bennies to stack on to the target rather than passing through.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Ultra n00bish question here: Why does a minifig need either Compensating or a Turret to use a Size 2 ranged weapon? Don't they have enough Power as a Size 1 creature to use it on their own, and therefore Compensating would allow a Heavy to fire up to a Size 4 Gun, just like they could use up to a Size 4 Melee weapon?

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Vason wrote:69: Suppose two Minifigs, one with Heavy Armor(and therefore 1 level of deflection), the other with an AP Short Range Weapon. If the second shoots the first, and manages to hit, the first Mini takes 1d6 damage, correct?

7: If the above is correct, what reasons are there for Minifigs to carry non-AP weapons? The only thing I can come up with is for the possibility of overskill and instant bennies to stack on to the target rather than passing through.
Correct and correct. The way the AP rules currently work, If your opponents are fielding mostly Heavy Armored minifigs, then you'd be a fool to bring non-AP weapons. If your opponents are fielding mostly unarmored minifigs, the possibility of bonus dice can make non-AP weapons more effective than AP weapons for units with higher armor ratings or damage modifiers. But I'm still looking at revisiting this part to make AP versus non-AP more of a meaningful choice.
Vason wrote:Ultra n00bish question here: Why does a minifig need either Compensating or a Turret to use a Size 2 ranged weapon? Don't they have enough Power as a Size 1 creature to use it on their own, and therefore Compensating would allow a Heavy to fire up to a Size 4 Gun, just like they could use up to a Size 4 Melee weapon?
Hand-held weapons are more limited than hard-mounted ones; see Hand-Held Weapons under 8.1. If you mount a ranged weapon directly onto a minifig's back then it can fire a Size 2 weapon.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Aha, I figured there was a passage about weapons I was missing.

Can a SuperNatural Kung-Fu artist use a Grab/Shove to deal damage directly to an enemy via Damage SN Dice, since Grab/Shove is an automatic hit? I imagine a Luke Cage/Iron Fist style character having 4d6 that they'd thow half each into Damage and Armor

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes. Grabbing and Shoving are the means of delivering SN effects for all kinds of touch-based powers. But remember that Grabs and Shoves can still be Parried, even if they are Automatic Hits, and that prevents the SN effect from connecting.

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 am

Another ultra n00bish question: how does a Hero's Redshirt ability interact with Minifigs with Heavy Armor, and the fact they're restricted from jumping/running? Does the Hero's magnetic personality pull them in anyway? Also, when a Redshirt is pulled in, do they take the damage against their full armor and deflection?

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Ooh, good question. The rules say that the RedShirt must be capable of leaping, so that would rule Heavy Armored units out. But if a Hero is in a Squad, then any of the other Squad members can RedShirt for him automatically, including Heavy Armored ones (this isn't in the rulebook, but it's supposed to be - an oversight on my part).

If an armored unit RedShirts for the Hero, he takes the damage with full armor and deflection just like any other damage he might take.

DatGuy
Hero

Post by DatGuy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 am

69: Can you equip an Artifakt on a non-Hero character and they can use feats? it seems like a workaround to Crankiness to me
You are like a man who fires gunshots at the barn, then paints a target around the biggest cluster of hits and claims to be a sharpshooter.

Texhnophille
Minifig

Post by Texhnophille » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:57 am

They can, as far as I know. Their feats are limited to a cliche of the artifact.
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm

What if we just get rid of crankiness for feats, and just limit the penalty to the skill die itself. One hero has a d10, two heroes have d8s, three heroes have d6es, etc.

New rule: regardless of how many heroes or artifacts you have, you're limited to one feat per turn. If multiple heroes and/or artifacts are working together on the same feat, you get to roll more Feat dice and increase your chances of success, but that's it.

Also I've changed my mind about jumping in armor. Armored characters can jump, but if they're at half speed then all their jumping ability is halved also, including redshirt distance.

This will all be reflected in the next rulebook update.

Kommander Ken
an avid fan of large round cannons
an avid fan of large round cannons

Post by Kommander Ken » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Post by Duerer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:30 pm

stubby wrote:What if we just get rid of crankiness for feats, and just limit the penalty to the skill die itself. One hero has a d10, two heroes have d8s, three heroes have d6es, etc.
This might be a very specific case but what do I do when I field a unit of heroes? Are all skills to be reduced to a d2 or worse?
Winning Contest Entries
Show
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Battles and Stories and Stuff