Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by stubby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Alternately, for the explosion one, roll damage for the Shielded guys first, and roll the final die of damage for everyone else afterward.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

stubby wrote:Alternately, for the explosion one, roll damage for the Shielded guys first, and roll the final die of damage for everyone else afterward.
I think this is a much better solution. Simple and clean, with no die removal after the fact.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:17 pm

153. Can creations with full minds be heroes? I've been thinking of having one of my army's heroes be a 40k style dreadnaught, with the badly injured body of hero mining piloting it (or maybe move one of my heroes into the 'naught after they die a few times), but I'd like them to keep their hero feats once inside (though their cliche may change).

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 am

Absolutely. Heroes don't stop being heroes just by piloting something, and if they pilot something by being built directly into the hardware, so be it!

Vason
Hero

Post by Vason » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:04 am

stubby wrote:Hopefully this stuff doesn't come up too often in actual play.
Sometimes you REALLY have to kill everything in one shot.

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 pm

156. Has there been a definitive ruling on how squads take damage from weapons that normally damage everybody? (explosions, flamethrowers, arc-fire) The 2005 rules said that damage is distributed to each squad member, but as I recall it did not directly address the question. I have always read it that all types of damage are taken as a squad, but this creates problems with flamethrowers, since the only way for a flamethrower to damage any squad members is if the flamethrower is larger than the squad, which doesn't make sense.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Coriolanus
Hero

Post by Coriolanus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:03 pm

157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size? It is not directly addressed in the rules and the question came up about a dozen times the last main battle with my group. At first I thought it sort of mirrored base cost-for a d10 armored something you would spend 1d10 to match the armor and then another die to add whatever was rolled inches of size, but that allowed things to inflate too easily. What we settled on for the immediate purposes was for every time you spent enough dice to match the structure level, you added one inch of size.
Is there an official ruling on this?
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Coriolanus wrote:156. Has there been a definitive ruling on how squads take damage from weapons that normally damage everybody? (explosions, flamethrowers, arc-fire) The 2005 rules said that damage is distributed to each squad member, but as I recall it did not directly address the question. I have always read it that all types of damage are taken as a squad, but this creates problems with flamethrowers, since the only way for a flamethrower to damage any squad members is if the flamethrower is larger than the squad, which doesn't make sense.
Just figure out where the flamethrower is aiming (roughly), and roll damage for the squad members in that area.

Coriolanus wrote:157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size? It is not directly addressed in the rules and the question came up about a dozen times the last main battle with my group. At first I thought it sort of mirrored base cost-for a d10 armored something you would spend 1d10 to match the armor and then another die to add whatever was rolled inches of size, but that allowed things to inflate too easily. What we settled on for the immediate purposes was for every time you spent enough dice to match the structure level, you added one inch of size.
Is there an official ruling on this?
I don't think you can use SN dice for that within the regular rules, so you'd have to homebrew it. What your group came up with sounds reasonable, but I haven't had enough experience with large scale battles to be sure.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:04 pm

158. How would you resolve a ranged attack against a unit who has full cover from a heavy shield, like so:

I'm thinking that you'd just make a Use roll at a -3 penalty, and then let the shielded minifig roll to parry the damage, but I'm not sure.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:38 pm

I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:59 pm

Zupponn wrote:I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.
No, I meant the people shooting at them with the shield would have a -3 penalty to their use roll, since that's the same penalty for firing on a target with full cover (I think).

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:
Zupponn wrote:I would personally just give them the penalty as it's hard to parry with a big ass fucking shield. The huge shield feels somewhat unwieldly because of its size, but also the reduced vision from holding it in front of you is a factor as well.
No, I meant the people shooting at them with the shield would have a -3 penalty to their use roll, since that's the same penalty for firing on a target with full cover (I think).
I know. That's what i meant.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Heavy shields differ from regular shields when it comes to ranged attacks in the sense that they provide a cover bonus to the minifig carrying the shield. You never roll to parry a ranged attack (unless it's a reasonably slow projectile) with the normal rules.

Also in the normal rules, a minifig with ANY part of their body exposed can get 2/3 cover at most. In your example, there is a slit for the minifig to see through in the shield, which is a gap large enough for a bullet or other projectile to conceivably fit through. As such, there's a -2 penalty.

If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly. Of course, the minifig carrying the shield would suffer from the same effect.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:41 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Heavy shields differ from regular shields when it comes to ranged attacks in the sense that they provide a cover bonus to the minifig carrying the shield. You never roll to parry a ranged attack (unless it's a reasonably slow projectile) with the normal rules.

Also in the normal rules, a minifig with ANY part of their body exposed can get 2/3 cover at most. In your example, there is a slit for the minifig to see through in the shield, which is a gap large enough for a bullet or other projectile to conceivably fit through. As such, there's a -2 penalty.

If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly. Of course, the minifig carrying the shield would suffer from the same effect.
Ok, now I get it. thanks.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm

Coriolanus wrote:157. How does one use supernatural dice to increase effective size?
You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

Now that Power is coming back into the game, I may be re-adding Power as an effect category.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?