Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by Gungnir » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Voin wrote:How much would a siege ladder cost? Is it just a 1CP minifig tool, or do you pay for it by the inch like larger creations?
I would count it as its own structure. Since it's made of wood (SL:1), it would cost 1CP per inch.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Rev. Sylvanus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:05 am

What do you think would be a good negative CP value for "Weak against________"? Then people could add it to units and fill in the blank to fit the scenario. It'd be especially good to offset the high cost of powerful units (i.e. shave a few CP off a Daemonlord by making him susceptible to silver and cold iron).
I think you need to determine first what it means to be 'weak' to something. So a werewolf weak to silver might take double damage or make all hits automatically critical. Or a hero's weakness to spicy food might incur a skill penalty (distractible indigestion). The broad scope here--as others have mentioned--make these sorts of traits (resistances or weaknesses) better scenario fodder and less amenable to a CP formula.

An integrative approach might pair the resistance/weakness dichotomy closely together. My big, tough, infernal spawn of darkness creation might have a natural resistance to all natural forms of minifig weaponry (perhaps treat as being shielded from these attack or damage types). However, the infernal spawn is no match for the debilitating deluge of cuteness found in stuffed animals; minifigs equipped with a fluffy friend ignore this resistance, and the scenario permits that all opposing teams may freely equip one to two squads with plush paraphernalia.

So I guess my recommendation is to approach 'resistances' as a form of unhindering armor (shielded bonus) for which there is a work-around, and then allow opposing teams to have free (though not total) access to that work-around.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:32 am

The best thing would be to literally make it a "weak against (blank)," where the blank was filled in by your enemies on game day according to whatever they brought to the battle.

"So we've discussed what your hero is weak against, and we picked 'all weapons.' Either that or 'breathing air.'"
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 am

As a general rule though, in the past we had the most success when disadvantages were balanced against advantages. Rather than assigning a CP value, it was 1 disadvantage cancels out 1 equivalent advantage. Weak vs fire -> Strong vs water; weak vs Holy -> strong vs Dark, weak vs energy -> strong vs physical, etc.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Gungnir wrote:Gonna play the devil's advocate here, but:
The A-10's airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of titanium armor to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying.
I've actually built an A-10 for use in brikwars, and I've found that instead of armor plating, just upping the armor to 3d10 works out fine (along with paying some extra CP to remove any weak points in that armor).

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Voin wrote:How should I stat out whips? It seems they ought to longer reach than regular melee weapons, but less than proper ranged weapons.
When I use whips, I treat them as non-lethal damage, Grab attacks only. Basically they're good for extending your reach or disarming opponents, rather than killing anybody.
Voin wrote:The Phalanx and March specialties (as well as the "Steady Footing" ability I made up) served me quite well in my last battle against my friend's Turkish-themed acid-horse cavalry. My Triarii slowly but surely chewed up his forces.
I'd think the Phalanx would perform poorly against cavalry, which could maneuver around the Shield Wall and hit them from the flanks. It'd all depend on the maneuvering, I think.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:44 am

Voin wrote:One option would be to station in a narrow street or ravine, wall-to-wall - then the flank would be a lot less vulnerable.
At least until somebody chucks a grenade at them.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:02 am

That's why you roll the bomb underneath the shields.
And what the hell is a Mk 1 explosive? I've always used regular size1 bombs.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Voin wrote:Steady Footing, allowing them to resist 1" of knockback. The worst the grenades did was knock their shields out of their hands, and then is was a free move to simply pick them back up again.
I might adjust this to say, allows them to resist 1" of knockback from the other side of the Shield Wall. It doesn't make a lot of sense for them to not be knocked over if an explosion happens in the middle of their group.
Gungnir wrote:That's why you roll the bomb underneath the shields.
And what the hell is a Mk 1 explosive? I've always used regular size1 bombs.
Or throw it over the top, which has a little better chance of not being blocked. There's not always enough room under a shield wall for a bomb to roll under.

A Mk 1 explosive is just the older editions' name for Size 1 bombs.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Do you know what I'd actually do - if I was trying to stick to the idea of Triarii, then instead of saying that each individual soldier is more stable, I'd say that Triarii drill to brace for impacts together, taking impact as a group rather than as separate individuals. Instead of pushing over each minifig, you push the whole squad plate, and only an impact that can knock over the whole squad plate as a single object will manage to disrupt them.

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:57 pm

Seems munchkiny to me. I don't know, I can't work up much opinion about it. Doesn't seem to add any real flavor, just extra overhead to keep track of.

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:48 pm

Yeah, I'm not saying don't use it. You asked my opinion and I just don't have much to say about it other than that it's kind of blah. Maybe I just can't think of good fluff to attach to it, but I can't really get excited about stability.

In the more general sense though, talking about munchkiny stuff --- If something is munchkiny, then letting other opponents use it too doesn't "balance" anything. I mean I guess two sides with the same ability are "balanced" tactically, if that's something you care about. But if you want to balance munchkinism, you do it by adding something that makes the game more fun, not by just adding more munchkinism. Two munchkin teams instead of one is more munchkiny, not less.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:07 pm

For once, I'm with Stubby on this one. If your soldier stepped on a landmine, he should be blown sky-high, assuming he isn't just plain blown to bits.
Also, I don't think the Armored status should apply to explosions. Or it should at least only drop it one or two die sizes.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:59 am

Voin wrote:Do you pay CP for non-explosive launcher payloads - something like "random rocks loaded into a catapult"? If so, how much? Is it like purchasing creations, with (Size" x Structure Level) CP?

What if the rock chunks aren't big enough to qualify for SL3? Plenty of LEGO catapults shoot SR 1" rocks or smaller.
The cost of rocks isn't CP, it's the opportunity cost of assigning the guys who have to load them into the catapult every round. Even though they have a tactical function (sort of), I think you're fine treating rocks as free surface elements.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:04 pm

No, they're still SL1.