Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Post by Gungnir » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:02 pm

You can pretty much fire any chunk of terrain as long as your loaders can reach it and carry it, and it fits in the launcher.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lawmaster » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:58 am

You can fire anything assuming it will be awesome.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Regarding large scale automatic weapons, like a size 3 auto-cannon, I want to make sure I'm understanding how they interact with their target's armor when fired in burst mode. As I read it, the target (say, a tank with 3d10 armor) makes it armor roll, then you roll use and damage for the number of shots the auto-cannon is firing, and then apply each roll consecutively to the target.

So if the target's armor roll is 18, and the cannon rolls 8, 12, and 9, a total of 11 damage would be applied to the target (2 from the 2nd shot, and then 9 from the last round), rather than each shot of the burst failing to breach the armor. Am I correct?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 am

Battlegrinder wrote: Am I correct?
Yes. It's one attack, so all the damage is added up.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:28 pm

As long as all the attacks hit. If one of the attack rolls misses, but is still close enough that the shot hits the tank anyway, it's counted as a separate attack.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Voin wrote:Can energy shield projectors shield things other than the unit that made the shield? Like a planetside shield protecting a fully armed and operational battle station or a Dungan battle-dino shielding a horde of Jaw-Jaws from their inevitable demise?

I know the rulebook says
Energy Shields must be created by Shield Projectors somewhere on the surface of the Creation they protect.
, but is there any way besides using SN dice to mimic the projector from RotJ?

Can multiple overlapping energy shields be "linked" to form an "energy shield wall" like in Guardians of the Galaxy?
Probably, but I don't think I want to make "official" rules about it. The ROTJ shield works a lot better as a unique scenario objective than as standard tactical equipment. For these I'd just suggest players make up ad hoc house rules depending on how they imagine shields to work in their own Kanon.
Voin wrote:The Knockback section says "
Whenever a large Weapon hits a small target, it causes KnockBack similar to a Collision or Explosion, regardless of whether the target survives the damage. Any time a Weapon is larger than the Size of a target it strikes, the target is Knocked Back one inch for every inch of difference between the Weapon Size and the target's Effective Size, with the usual potential for being Disrupted as a result."

So since minifigs (being size 1") get pushed (but not quite suffering KnockBack) from Size 1.5" Heavy Weapons, would they also get pushed back from Bastard ranged weapons?
Yes, the ShotGun specifically has 1" of KnockBack to minifigs ( http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/8.htm#1 ).
Voin wrote:If a player pays the CP cost for both a CC weapon and a ranged weapon (say, in the form of a hatchet or spear), can they treat it as both a CC and ranged weapon?
Yes. Most commonly seen on rifle+bayonet.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Voin wrote:Skill Roll number of rounds?
Yes. This is true for many circumstances of endurance.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:58 am

Voin wrote:What would be a good way to handle transforming units?
I stat out the two forms in a way that they would cost the same if they were separate units.
A transforming robot, for example, would be faster in vehicle mode, but it would just be a vehicle with a mind, and would only have access to its weapons in robot mode.
Voin wrote:Can mobile exposure damage field hazards powered by a creation be used offensively?
Sure, why not?

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:13 am

For transforming creations, pay the cost of whichever form is most expensive. Transformation can only take place at the beginning of your turn, and costs an Action.

This question comes up often enough that I really need to add it to the rulebook somewhere.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 pm

I actually used to use a dropship with a frontal energy shield that temporarily increased structure level for the turn. Made ramming fun.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Voin wrote:- Do objects that get knocked back by an explosion (shrapnel) deal damage (if they're big enough to do at least one Mom of it)?
I guess they could, but seems rare. They'd have to be knocked back at least 4" for the MOM, so it'd be a 4d10 explosion at minimum, knocking them into an object that wasn't also knocked back by the explosion. Trample damage seems more likely.
Voin wrote:- Can range SN Dice be spent to extend or shorten a Scout's detection range (or emulate long-range scanners / sensor-jammers)
Sure.
Voin wrote:- Do Size 1 Explosives (1d10 bombs and rockets) count as Size 1" or Size 0 for determining if they overload a Field Hazard?
I'm assuming we're talking about Exposure Damage, since I don't think Size affects any of the other types. In that case it just depends on how large you made your physical Size 1 Explosive. Most of them are Size 0.
Voin wrote:- Does an army's full capabilities have to be made known to all participants at the start of a battle? Or can there be "surprises", as long as the player has the stats written down somewhere (for peer review after the battle) and paid the cost fair and square?
This is a judgment call depending on who you're playing with, and how munchkinny the surprises are. If you reveal a sword hidden under the passenger seat, that's straightforward; if you reveal that your Hero is secretly also a Medik and a Scout, then that's the kind of lame-ass shit that opponents probably would have objected to if they'd known about it.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:29 pm

So surprises have to be built? I feel like giving the actual stats for all visible units is mandatory, but if you reveal that your sportscar has a fold-out helicoptor rotor you don't have to tell anybody about the secret move speed until the rotor is there.

What about secret rocket payloads? As in "it wasn't just an explosion - the survivors are laced with LSD!" or something? I feel like that's reserved for heroic feats for the most part, and if you have a rocket with a special payload you have to announce that beforehand otherwise

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:08 pm

Actually you know what, the better way to do it is this: If you reveal something that you kept secret at the beginning, your opponent can reject it for any reason. That's it. So, stick to stuff that won't get rejected, and opponents who won't reject it, and everything should be fine.

Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Post by Battlegrinder » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Building on the above, is it ok to go into battle with some portion of your CP unspent, and then use that unspent portion to buy more units later on?
Last edited by Battlegrinder on Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:55 am

The answer to all of these: Sure, why not?

As for the CP price of vehicle packages, I don't think there is one. You could price it as a size whatever" random object, but one of the inherent advantages of a mechanik is that he builds from whatever spare parts he finds. If that includes parts that just-so-happen to form a jeep, then so be it, but mechanix serve as a timer incentive to keep your opponents turns as short as possible.