Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Coriolanus » Thu May 01, 2014 9:44 pm

stubby wrote:You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

Now that Power is coming back into the game, I may be re-adding Power as an effect category.


As I recall, Darkseid was ripping off a turret, but first he used SN dice to increase his effective size to make it easier; so that part could be handled by power.
Before the round of turns was finished, Superman came and punched him in the face, which did enough damage to overcome Darkseid's armor once. After a quick discussion, we decided that since Darkseid's effective size was still increased from the previous turn, he would take one point of size damage and then need to continually spend SN dice to maintain an effective size of at least one in order to stay alive, analogous to a compensating heavy. I'm still not sure if that is the best way to handle it though. It seemed a little overpowered to be able to increase effectiveness that easily.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
User avatar
Coriolanus
Hero
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm
Location: Beside one of Michigan'a 11,037 lakes.

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Fri May 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Coriolanus wrote:
stubby wrote:You don't. But you can mimic some of the effects of Size. What were you using the altered Size for?

Now that Power is coming back into the game, I may be re-adding Power as an effect category.


As I recall, Darkseid was ripping off a turret, but first he used SN dice to increase his effective size to make it easier; so that part could be handled by power.
Before the round of turns was finished, Superman came and punched him in the face, which did enough damage to overcome Darkseid's armor once. After a quick discussion, we decided that since Darkseid's effective size was still increased from the previous turn, he would take one point of size damage and then need to continually spend SN dice to maintain an effective size of at least one in order to stay alive, analogous to a compensating heavy. I'm still not sure if that is the best way to handle it though. It seemed a little overpowered to be able to increase effectiveness that easily.


It may seem overpowered, but the tradeoff is that the 6CP worth of SN Dice (the 1d10) would then be perpetually 'sacrificed' to make that happen. The 1d10 is now essentially unusable for anything else (except maybe a personal self-detonation when he get's tired of 'not dying').
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
User avatar
Rev. Sylvanus
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:14 pm
Location: Appalachia

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

How much does it cost to give a minifig extra HP? I'm thinking of buffing my Ranger squad slightly, and part of that upgrade would be to give them an extra HP, but I'm not sure how much that would cost (which is something I need to know for balance purposes, at least).
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Quincy, Illinois

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Battlegrinder wrote:How much does it cost to give a minifig extra HP? I'm thinking of buffing my Ranger squad slightly, and part of that upgrade would be to give them an extra HP, but I'm not sure how much that would cost (which is something I need to know for balance purposes, at least).

BrikWars doesn't have rules for HP. How would HP work, if you added them to your battle?
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby aoffan23 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:39 pm

IVhorseman wrote:If you had a heavy shield so massive that it completely covered the minifig AND there were no eye-holes, then you would go all the way down to -5, the penalty for firing blindly.


This has never really sat right with me. I get how firing blindly would apply to cover; for example if you're behind a wall it's hard for someone to know what part of the wall you're behind. You could be ducking, lying down, or even moving behind it. The point is that even though the person firing knows you're behind the wall, but no idea where you are behind the wall, hence the skill penalty. The thing about shields is that they're only there to cover and move with the wielder. If you're shooting at a shield, it's because you know there's a guy carrying said shield, and you're trying to get through to where you know the guy will be.

Let's say you were trying to shoot the engine of a car. You have to shoot through the hood, but you know the engine is under it because the purpose of the hood is to protect said engine, and they move as part of the same object. Since the hood completely covers the engine, would you be firing blindly at the engine, even though you know exactly where it is under the hood?
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby IVhorseman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Absolutely, although the size of the engine could lower the penalty substantially. Keep in mind that a bullet loses force when entering a hood and that numerous other factors attribute to the engine being harder to get a good hit on.

The same applies to these shield guys. The size of a shield you'd need to get that -5 penalty going would have to be pretty enormous as-is, so knowing where the guy is could be a bit more difficult. Remember, we're talking about a shield SO CARTOONISHLY HUGE that it completely covers the wielder, to the point that even he would be unable to see what the hell he's marching towards. Practical? Maybe not. But very Brikwars.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Battlegrinder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 pm

stubby wrote:
Battlegrinder wrote:How much does it cost to give a minifig extra HP? I'm thinking of buffing my Ranger squad slightly, and part of that upgrade would be to give them an extra HP, but I'm not sure how much that would cost (which is something I need to know for balance purposes, at least).

BrikWars doesn't have rules for HP. How would HP work, if you added them to your battle?


I'd use it the same way people use it with multi-HP heroes, where each fatal hit removes a single HP from the minifig. I know bragsalot is using some 2 HP infantry in his current forum battle, but I'm not sure if he stated them out with CP or not. My current plan to pay for multi-HP infantry would be to to double the minifig's base cost (not sure if I'd add in bonus traits or SN die to that cost or not, but I'll figure it out).
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Quincy, Illinois

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby aoffan23 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:39 am

IVhorseman wrote:Absolutely, although the size of the engine could lower the penalty substantially. Keep in mind that a bullet loses force when entering a hood and that numerous other factors attribute to the engine being harder to get a good hit on like Bonn-o-Tron.

The same applies to these shield guys. The size of a shield you'd need to get that -5 penalty going would have to be pretty enormous as-is, so knowing where the guy is could be a bit more difficult. Remember, we're talking about a shield SO CARTOONISHLY HUGE that it completely covers the wielder, to the point that even he would be unable to see what the hell he's marching towards. Practical? Maybe not. But very Brikwars.


If you hit something dead on, but the bullet loses enough force to be stopped, that doesn't have much to do with skill; it's the amour rating of the object. The similar thing applies to a shield. If you see a dude walking at you with a giant piece of armour in front of him, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that if you shoot in the middle of the shield, you'll hit him. The not going through the shield would come into effect when rolling for damage and armour.

Like I mentioned with the wall, the dude can move behind the wall, while the wall will show no sign of where the guy is moving. If someone carrying a shield moves to the right, the shield moves to the right. Even if we're talking a full-body shield, you know where the centre of that motion is coming from: the dude directly behind it. You could fire twenty shots right where the guy's head is and still not kill him, but that has nothing to do with skill. The most skilled marksman in the world would have no advantage over someone who has never fired a gun when it comes to punching through a piece of metal.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 am

Battlegrinder wrote:I'd use it the same way people use it with multi-HP heroes, where each fatal hit removes a single HP from the minifig.

Oh, we don't call those HP, we call them redshirts.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Gungnir » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Shields don't count as cover.
ARGUMENT SETTLED.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
User avatar
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Gungnir wrote:Shields don't count as cover.
ARGUMENT SETTLED.


Heavy Shield: Size:(M) Cost:1CP Use:3 Range:CC Effect:Armored Parry Notes:Parry or Shove only, can provide cover
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Gungnir » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 pm

I don't think it should, to be honest. Like Aoffan said, you know there's a guy there, and it wouldn't be hard to hit that kind of target. It shouldn't be a matter of skill, but being able to deal enough damage to punch through the shield.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
User avatar
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby aoffan23 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 pm

My argument only really makes sense in the rare case that the shield fully covers the minifig. In a situation where part of the minifig is visible, you're going to be aiming for that instead of the shield, and there is skill involved. If you don't roll well enough to hit the minifig, you could still potentially penetrate the shield with good damage rolls.

I guess the fully covered wielder situation isn't significant enough to have different rules for it, so it would really be up to the players to house rule it.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.



I agree with Warhead.
User avatar
aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 
Posts: 2595
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Gungnir » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:06 am

I usually just buy heavy shields as a 1" armored plate on the front or side of the minifig anyway.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
User avatar
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:54 am

Gungnir wrote:I don't think it should, to be honest. Like Aoffan said, you know there's a guy there, and it wouldn't be hard to hit that kind of target. It shouldn't be a matter of skill, but being able to deal enough damage to punch through the shield.

Or more specifically, to punch cleanly through the shield, without the damage being deflected at any significant angle in the process.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 4814
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests