Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby Voin » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:37 am

Non-impaling weapons can add MOMs if used correctly in a charge, right? Last battle, I had my samurai do a ride-by attack (not a head-on charge) with a naginata to cut the enemy samurai in half. On the following turn, my opponent did the same to one of my own samurai, and we agreed that it seemed legit.

I mean, that is kinda the point of how these weapons were used IRL - the horse's momentum would add to the force of your weapon's swing, just as it would add to the force of impalement if you were using a lance.
Last edited by Voin on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shamelessly blatant self-promotion: check out my armory, where you can find new custom abilities and battle-gear stats, and my MOCPages page, which I really ought to update more often.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby stubby » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 am

I might add that to the Horsemanship specialty, rather than making it a general ability.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Voin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 am

It would also work for chariot scythes.
Shamelessly blatant self-promotion: check out my armory, where you can find new custom abilities and battle-gear stats, and my MOCPages page, which I really ought to update more often.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Voin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:40 pm

I just noticed the Pilot's ability has been updated. So since the piloting rules now say
Assuming he has access to the proper Controls, a minifig can use its Action to pilot a Vehicle and/or control one (and only one) of its Systems, against a single target (if any).
, I assume any minifig can now do the Pilot's old specialty:

On a vehicle, where untrained minifigs must focus either on steering or firing weapons, the Pilot has the ability to do both simultaneously. A Pilot ignores the usual Action cost For steering a vehicle,leaving him free to use his Action for more destructive purposes.
?
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:36 am

That's correct. The old Piloting rules were unnecessarily restrictive, so I gave them the axe. The Pilot's new specialty is stunt driving.
stubby

Postby Voin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:38 pm

stubby wrote:That's correct. The old Piloting rules were unnecessarily restrictive, so I gave them the axe. The Pilot's new specialty is stunt driving.

Excellent. In which case, you may want to update a little section under 8.6 Manning Guns >> Controls to remove the contradiction.
Except when there's a specific reason to the contrary, all modern or futuristic military vehicles include Controls for the weapons systems in the cockpit, even if there are separate Gunner's stations. Remember however that minifigs can't steer a vehicle and operate weapons in the same turn unless they're trained Pilots (H.2: Riding a Horse).

I assume that the Rider specialty is still relevant because a horse has a mind of its own, and a vehicle does not, right?
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks! I missed that one.

Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.
stubby

Postby Voin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:02 am

stubby wrote:Thanks! I missed that one.

Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.

Isn't that how riders already worked?

On that note, some centaur questions:

Would a centaur just be statted like a horse, but with a full mind, bringing the cost up to 10 CP?

How would buying armor work?

Minifig Body armor:
Body Armor: Cost:1CP Effect:Armor +2 Notes:-1" Move, can't swim
Heavy Armor: Cost:2CP Effect:Shielded Notes:Half Speed

Horse Armor
Equipment    Cost    Use    Range    Effect    Notes
Horse Body Armor    2CP    -    -    Armor 1d10    Move -2", can't swim
Horse Heavy Armor    4CP    -    -    Shielded    Half Speed

Would it be 3 CP for light and 6 CP for heavy armor to cover both horse and human parts or would barding alone cover the whole creature? What about mixing armor types? Can the human half of a flying centaur (a pegacentaur?) wear armor without impeding flight?

For a centaur to attack with both hand weapons and hooves, would I have to buy Multidexterity?
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:29 am

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.

Nope. Normally you're either steering the horse or firing the rifle, not both.

Voin wrote:Would a centaur just be statted like a horse, but with a full mind, bringing the cost up to 10 CP?

That's right. It would go from a 1CP Half Mind to a 2CP Mind.

Voin wrote:How would buying armor work?

The Horse Armor stats are close enough; it's 2" Armor either way.

Voin wrote:Can the human half of a flying centaur (a pegacentaur?) wear armor without impeding flight?

Normally the rule is that flying creatures can't wear even partial armor, but I'm thinking about reviewing this rule because of the Phaleks.

Voin wrote:For a centaur to attack with both hand weapons and hooves, would I have to buy Multidexterity?

If it wants to attack with all of them in the same turn, then yes. Otherwise it can use any two of them in a single turn. (In CC, that is - he can still only make one Ranged Attack per turn, unless he gets Multitasking.)

How are those centaurs put together? Does that connection piece exist in real plastic? Because if so, I want some.
stubby

Postby Voin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:47 pm

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:Riders get a different specialty now: using their own hand weapons in addition to the vehicle's/horse's weapons.

Nope. Normally you're either steering the horse or firing the rifle, not both.

I meant the Rider specialty -  I was under the impression that was their shtick all along.

stubby wrote:How are those centaurs put together? Does that connection piece exist in real plastic? Because if so, I want some.

I figured you might ask that.  :)

The connection is the LEGO Black Technic Pin with Friction with Click Rotation Ring (41680).

Putting a centaur together like that IRL would require splitting apart one of the new posable horse, and looping the ring around the part that typically holds the head in place. You'd have to fiddle around with a hobby knife and cut some of the inner bits of that Technic piece to get it to fit, and also gut some bits out of the inside center of the minifig torso to make room for the pin.

Or if that seems like too much work, you can look into buying 3rd-party purpose-made centaur torsos from Brickforge.

On a tactical note, I find centaurs make for cost-efficient cavalry because they're 3 CP cheaper than a Horse (9CP) + Rider (4 CP) combination. I look forward to using them in future Brik battles.

Although I just realized something: as SR 2 creatures, wouldn't centaurs also be able to field larger weapons than regular minifigs?
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Voin wrote:Or if that seems like too much work, you can look into buying 3rd-party purpose-made centaur torsos from Brickforge.

Already got some, but I want that poseability from the neck hinge. Maybe I'll get one of those 3D-printer guys to help me out.

Voin wrote:On a tactical note, I find centaurs make for cost-efficient cavalry because they're 3 CP cheaper than a Horse (9CP) + Rider (4 CP) combination. I look forward to using them in future Brik battles.

True, but with the horse+rider you have the horse acting as a meat shield for the rider, who can hop off and keep attacking when the horse is killed.

Voin wrote:Although I just realized something: as SR 2 creatures, wouldn't centaurs also be able to field larger weapons than regular minifigs?

Yes, until they're wounded and brought back down to Effective Size 1", at which point they're stuck at minifig strength again.
stubby

Postby Voin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:24 pm

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:Or if that seems like too much work, you can look into buying 3rd-party purpose-made centaur torsos from Brickforge.

Already got some, but I want that poseability from the neck hinge. Maybe I'll get one of those 3D-printer guys to help me out.

The posability is nice - they can rear up on their hind legs, which not only looks badass, but can also give a height advantage when armed with a ranged weapon.

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:On a tactical note, I find centaurs make for cost-efficient cavalry because they're 3 CP cheaper than a Horse (9CP) + Rider (4 CP) combination. I look forward to using them in future Brik battles.

True, but with the horse+rider you have the horse acting as a meat shield for the rider, who can hop off and keep attacking when the horse is killed.

Well yes, the tradeoff is versatility. Also, a centaur can't fit trough all the same spaces a minifig can.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Voin » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Another cavalry-related question:

Under the jousting rules, it says:

A Jousting minifig can even use its off hand to hold a Shield, which will come in handy if he's getting Jousted in return.

Does that include heavy shields? Do kite shields count as heavy shields?

I ask because kite shields were traditionally used by cavalry to protect the rider's flank - something simulated in the game mechanics by the heavy shield's passive cover.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Sure.
stubby

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 am

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:Can the human half of a flying centaur (a pegacentaur?) wear armor without impeding flight?

Normally the rule is that flying creatures can't wear even partial armor, but I'm thinking about reviewing this rule because of the Phaleks.

I wouldn't, on something that I thought you explained nicely when talking about the Phaleks: they use space flight even though they're not necessarily in space. Instead of saying flying stuff can be armored, broaden the defenition of what space flight actually means.

As I see it, Space flight simply means unlimited flight maneuvering in whatever form it comes from. Be it rocket thrusters, anti-grav fields or ancient magic, it allows something of any weight to fly around in any direction and stay there. That said, I think that unlimited flight maneuvering covers all bases and allows for land-based weapon and armor limits.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook