Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Newbish n00b questions, MkII

Postby stubby » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Sure.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:28 am

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:Can the human half of a flying centaur (a pegacentaur?) wear armor without impeding flight?

Normally the rule is that flying creatures can't wear even partial armor, but I'm thinking about reviewing this rule because of the Phaleks.

I wouldn't, on something that I thought you explained nicely when talking about the Phaleks: they use space flight even though they're not necessarily in space. Instead of saying flying stuff can be armored, broaden the defenition of what space flight actually means.

As I see it, Space flight simply means unlimited flight maneuvering in whatever form it comes from. Be it rocket thrusters, anti-grav fields or ancient magic, it allows something of any weight to fly around in any direction and stay there. That said, I think that unlimited flight maneuvering covers all bases and allows for land-based weapon and armor limits.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby loafofcheese » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 am

IVhorseman wrote:I wouldn't, on something that I thought you explained nicely when talking about the Phaleks: they use space flight even though they're not necessarily in space. Instead of saying flying stuff can be armored, broaden the defenition of what space flight actually means.

As I see it, Space flight simply means unlimited flight maneuvering in whatever form it comes from. Be it rocket thrusters, anti-grav fields or ancient magic, it allows something of any weight to fly around in any direction and stay there. That said, I think that unlimited flight maneuvering covers all bases and allows for land-based weapon and armor limits.

So If I wanted an armored helicopter, I would have to purchase it as if it was a spaceship?
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Postby Gungnir » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:38 am

I still think anti-gravity should be its own kind of movement.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:53 am

I might just change it to something like "Flying creations that need to keep moving forward in order to stay in the air, such as biplanes, parrots, and hang gliders, are grounded if they're ever reduced to Half Speed by any means, including Armor Plating." In any other case, Armor on flying creations is just fine.
stubby

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Gungnir wrote:I still think anti-gravity should be its own kind of movement.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm suggesting.

I think the barrier comes down to weather armored helicopters are okay.
IVhorseman

Postby stubby » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:33 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I think the barrier comes down to weather armored helicopters are okay.

"The Apache is heavily armored on all sides. Some areas are also surrounded by Kevlar soft armor for extra protection. The cockpit is protected by layers of reinforced armor and bulletproof glass. According to Boeing, every part of the helicopter can survive 12.7-mm rounds, and vital engine and rotor components can withstand 23-mm fire."

That looks like a vote for yes, at least for battles after about 1975 or so.
stubby

Postby stubby » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:45 pm

Maybe if he doesn't take the shield with him? Like props it up or something to act as a decoy while he sneaks off.
stubby

Postby stubby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:49 am

Voin wrote:It seems Armor Plating from the Weapons section is equivalent to Heavy Armor (Shielded, Half-Speed). What if we were to make a "light armor" plating version for larger creations like we have for minifigs and horses?

We already have it, it's Structure Level. The Light Body Armor just takes a minifig from SL:1/2 to SL:1. You can set a creation's (or part of a Creation's) Structure Level directly.
stubby

Postby stubby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:58 am

Voin wrote:How would attacking equipment that the enemy is holding or wearing (weapons, shields, armor?) work?
I assume size penalties would be involved?
Is it measured by inches and assigned SL based on it's size and composition like larger creations?
Would a halberd (2-handed weapon) be SR2 and AR 2d10?

All minifig equipment items are treated as size zero for targeting: -2 to hit. They're knocked away rather than destroyed, for the most part.

Voin wrote:How would resistances or immunities to particular types of damage or effects (fire, electricity, acid, magic, radiation, etc) work?

On the flipside, how should I stat a vulnerability (Superman vs. Kryptonite; Vampires vs. silver, crucifixes, sunlight, garlic, etc)?

These are scenario specific. There's no point in statting a vulnerability to kryptonite unless it's a scenario with kryptonite in it, and then it's not about stats so much as scenario design.

Voin wrote:How should I stat a "regenerating unit" (assume SR 2 or higher), like a troll?

Which stats are you asking about here? Cost? I'm not really sure what you're asking. Do you mean what rules would you use?

All this stuff was covered in BW2001, if you want to see how it was done in previous editions. Regeneration is on page 105.
stubby

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:14 am

stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:How would attacking equipment that the enemy is holding or wearing (weapons, shields, armor?) work?
I assume size penalties would be involved?
Is it measured by inches and assigned SL based on it's size and composition like larger creations?
Would a halberd (2-handed weapon) be SR2 and AR 2d10?

All minifig equipment items are treated as size zero for targeting: -2 to hit. They're knocked away rather than destroyed, for the most part.

With an exception for fragile objects, which includes explosives. Don't even bother with a damage roll if you hit the explosive directly, the explosion is the only damage the fig would be taking anyway.
IVhorseman

Postby Gungnir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:22 pm

Gonna play the devil's advocate here, but:
The A-10's airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of titanium armor to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby loafofcheese » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Well, it can get safely home with one engine, one wing and one rudder missing so I guess that armoured aircraft are fine now.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Postby stubby » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Ah, the A-10, my favorite combat plane when I was a kid. Let's just say that losing an engine, wing, and rudder didn't make it fly any worse.

I sunk so many hours into this game
stubby

Postby Gungnir » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:24 pm

I find it hilarious that the A-10 was made just so they could attach it to the GAU-8/A Avenger machine gun.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook