Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Bluefog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Results in a D10 explosion of the immediate area, correct? Or would it result in another roll to see if it was just a malfunction? I just say it automatically explodes, curious to see what you guys do.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."
User avatar
Bluefog
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Gungnir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Payload hits the target, but doesn't go off. The target gets to use the explosive as a makeshift melee weapon, but if HE crit fails, it does go off.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
User avatar
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 984
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm

I just have the RPG explode.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:34 pm

RPGs are the only weapon where I have something bad happen on a one (for most, I just have the planned attack not take place. Guns misfire, melee weapons slip in their owners hand and he losses his chance to hit, etc). For anything that explodes, I usually flip a coin. Heads, it doesn't go off, tails it detonates too soon (I'm usually not mean enough to have explode on the launcher, but sometimes it does).
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Quincy, Illinois

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Bluefog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:20 pm

What about if the guy holding the rocket launcher gets killed, would launcher explode too? I've been doing a coin toss for that, but contemplating making it that it will depending on how much overkill there is on the minifig, you know, dude gets killed while about to fire rocket launcher and the attack is a critical success type of deal.
"Hey, you try making love to a complete stranger in a hostile, mutant environment, see how you like it."
User avatar
Bluefog
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 439
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Battlegrinder » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Bluefog wrote:What about if the guy holding the rocket launcher gets killed, would launcher explode too? I've been doing a coin toss for that, but contemplating making it that it will depending on how much overkill there is on the minifig, you know, dude gets killed while about to fire rocket launcher and the attack is a critical success type of deal.


Depends on how they die. I usually have rockets go off only if the guy is killed by an explosive or energy weapon, otherwise the missile is fine (also, if you have a sniper/good luck, sometimes having your troopers target the missiles being carried by your enemies can be more successful than just targeting the enemy).
User avatar
Battlegrinder
Dimmy
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm
Location: Quincy, Illinois

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:50 am

Explode unless that team is losing already, unless we're tired of playing and just want the game to end quick.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Voin wrote:I suppose it would depend on how realistik your battle is. The real-life Soviet-designed RPG-7 has an inertia-triggered-fuse that arms the warhead in mid-flight, well-away from the operator, once the grenade has built up enough momentum. That's why those sub-literate cave-dwelling terrorist savages in the Taliban can carry them around like armfuls of French bread and (unfortunately) not blow themselves up - Russian engineering is legendary for its ruggedness.

Realistik misfires typically involve the fuse *not* arming for whatever reason (i.e. the grenade not traveling far enough to trigger), and landing somewhere as a dud (part of my duties in the military involved working with such UXOs [UneXploded Ordnance]. Also, the geniuses in the brass apparently don't understand how acronyms work.

One soldier, Channing Moss took an RPG to the torso, and it got stuck there in him, unexploded (but with the very scarily real potential to still go off). The docs had to literally perform rocket-surgery to get it out of him (he lived, thank God).



So in Brikwars terms, I'd say it lands as a dud, and then has a coin-flip or die-roll or whatever chance of going off on subsequent turns. A quick (and stupid daring) minifig might take the initiative to pick it up and fire it back at the enemy.


^This is boring and kind of racist. It's hilarious when tons of your guys die on low rolls. If you keep rolling like shit and it makes the game unbalanced, then that's when you stop having them blow up.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:23 pm

It just seems far too reminiscient of how American soldiers would treat enemy Japanese in World War II, Vietnamese in the the Vietnam War and Filipinos in the American-Phillipine war. Dehumanizing people is sickening no matter what they've done, and it leads to worse ideas.

Also in my opinion, it goes directly against the spirit of the game to have a realistic brikwar. Then again, it's also in the spirit of the game to go against the rules of the game.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm

I know all about Japanese and Vietnamese war crimes. Unit 731, the snuggle of Nanking etc. The Filipino guerillas also tortured captured American soldiers.

What you're saying makes no sense to me. I'm not saying that as an argument against whatever you're arguing, but I really don't understand. The Taliban dehumanize themselves?

I think everyone can agree that extremism is bad, and that's why I'm arguing that we shouldn't dehumanize people. Just because someone else is being horrible doesn't give you the same excuse.
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:00 am

Voin wrote:They have instead gone out of their way to attack us,


Who's us? The Taliban have never attacked me or my country. However I do think that the Taliban is a terrible organization that has committed countless atrocities.

Voin wrote:But they choose not to. They choose to continue their pig-headed savagery, senselessly attacking innocents and committing countless crimes against humanity.

What they do is monstrous, and so we vanquish them like monsters.


This sounds eerily similiar to what Theodore Roosevelt said during one of his speeches, justifying the race war in the Phillipines.

Race-making and Colonial Violence in the US Empire: The Phillipine-American War as Race War wrote: Roosevelt acknowledged and expressed regret for U.S. abuses but claimed that for every American atrocity, “a very cruel and very treacherous enemy” had committed “a hundred acts of far greater atrocity.” Furthermore, while such means had been the Filipinos’ “only method of carrying on the war,” they had been “wholly exceptional on our part.” The noble, universal ends of a war for civilization justified its often unsavory means. “The warfare that has extended the boundaries of civilization at the expense of barbarism and savagery has been for centuries one of the most potent factors in the progress of humanity,” he asserted, but “from its very nature it has always and everywhere been liable to dark abuses.”


Also, I'm very curious to you're opinion on the US military. The Americans have killed tons of civilians in Iraq, tortured people to get information and snuggled people (especially women who are enlisted in the American Army. Are these crimes justified because they fight for a better regime and against an oppressive enemy?
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby Silverdream » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 am

Good point about blackwater, I hadn't considered that most of the troops in Iraq were mercenaries. However there are very high rates of female soldiers in the US military getting snuggled by their fellow soldiers (check out the link).
This sig is too fucking large: show anyway
Image lol j/k
User avatar
Silverdream
Nice use of noise
 
Posts: 6073
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: Sweating like a guy in a basketball manga

Re: Critical Failure with RPG Launcher.

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Voin wrote:Are you implying that making fun of other terrorist groups like... the Black Panther Party... would be racist?


I'm not going to make any assumptions about what you do or don't know about the American Civil Right's movement, but the short answer to that question is: YES VERY.

The problem with your argument is that you're turning it into an "us" vs. "them" situation, which does two very dangerous things. First, it means that anyone who disagrees with "us" is part of "them," which is not in any way shape or form true. Second, it narrows things into a simple binary where one side is 100% right while the other is 100% wrong, and there are no in betweens. The type of argument that relies on othering one group of people in order to alienate them is inherently flawed.

Either way, I'm stepping in as mod and locking this topic before it gets even dumber. We all figured out how an RPG crit fails by now - it causes both sides to drop everything for a stupid politikal argument.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 5294
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss


Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest