Minifigs that have flight.

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Bluefog » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:53 am

I've been saying that a jet pack/wings/super power allows 10" of movement mostly because it allows combat to happen a lot faster... and that's what I want, but it might be a little far though, plus, a dude with wings would have less movement than a dude with a jet pack probably right? Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm thinking people most be dabbling with this, especially with the Chima sets. My army has 4 minifigs with wings, including my hero... I don't want to make them too powerful though, I'm all about the fair play.

EDIT: Sorry if someone already asked this, but I looked on the first page and didn't see anything and I'm far too lazy to go back further.

DOUBLE EDIT: Another totally unrelated question: Do heroes just automatically dual wield or would that have to be a feat?
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
User avatar
Bluefog
Minifig
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am

Bluefog wrote:I've been saying that a jet pack/wings/super power allows 10" of movement mostly because it allows combat to happen a lot faster... and that's what I want, but it might be a little far though, plus, a dude with wings would have less movement than a dude with a jet pack probably right? Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm thinking people most be dabbling with this, especially with the Chima sets. My army has 4 minifigs with wings, including my hero... I don't want to make them too powerful though, I'm all about the fair play.

EDIT: Sorry if someone already asked this, but I looked on the first page and didn't see anything and I'm far too lazy to go back further.

DOUBLE EDIT: Another totally unrelated question: Do heroes just automatically dual wield or would that have to be a feat?

I put winged minifigs at a standard 5" Flying and let them do an aerial Sprint for extra speed as usual. Jetpack minifigs I give 5" on foot plus 5" in any straight line.

Flying minifigs are limited in how much weight they can carry. They can't wear Heavy Armor or use Large minifig weapons.

Dual wielding Hand Weapons is legal for all minifigs; other types of dual wields are technically Feats, but a lot of people just fudge that.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Quantumsurfer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm

stubby wrote:Flying minifigs are limited in how much weight they can carry. They can't wear Heavy Armor or use Large minifig weapons.


Some of this murders my go to flying unit ideas, like angels, for example. But I can't honestly think of a better way to keep their utility balanced.
User avatar
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Colette.
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:00 am

They can still wear Body Armor and carry Medium weapons no problem.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Gungnir » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 am

What about Superman?
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:56 am

Superman uses a big pile of supernatural dice to achieve all his crazy effects.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Bluefog » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:28 am

stubby wrote:I put winged minifigs at a standard 5" Flying and let them do an aerial Sprint for extra speed as usual. Jetpack minifigs I give 5" on foot plus 5" in any straight line.

Flying minifigs are limited in how much weight they can carry. They can't wear Heavy Armor or use Large minifig weapons.

Dual wielding Hand Weapons is legal for all minifigs; other types of dual wields are technically Feats, but a lot of people just fudge that.


Would an aerial sprint require more rolling of dice? I try to avoid that as much as possible... of late I seem to roll nothing but critical fails.
"You ain't my friend, palooka." - Vincent Vega
User avatar
Bluefog
Minifig
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am
Location: Over there.

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Voin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:33 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:
stubby wrote:Flying minifigs are limited in how much weight they can carry. They can't wear Heavy Armor or use Large minifig weapons.


Some of this murders my go to flying unit ideas, like angels, for example. But I can't honestly think of a better way to keep their utility balanced.


Perhaps consider something like my [url]http://www.brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11644]"Powered Armor"[/url] option: Powered/Magic armor is treated as a Size 1" vehicle, with move inches bought into it. At that point, the armor itself has up do 1d10 armor, and is the the thing getting damaged, while the minifig inside is technically "piloting" it (and should be subjected to the piloting rules). It's not technically the same as a "Shielded" bonus, but there Ain't No Rule against Heavy Armored units riding inside a flying vehicle (in fact, that's how dropships and assault shuttles work). Of course, once the Powered bits/flight pack of your Power Armor gets destroyed, you're stuck with the move penalty of regular minifig armor.
User avatar
Voin
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 am

Bluefog wrote:Would an aerial sprint require more rolling of dice? I try to avoid that as much as possible... of late I seem to roll nothing but critical fails.

Yes. I imagine a critfail on an aerial Sprint makes you fall out of the sky.

If you really want to have armored Angels, SN dice wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Otherwise, just slap some Armor on them and who cares what the rules say.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Voin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:13 am

Also, Heavily Armored units aren't restricted from using Thrust (which is cheaper than flight anyway).

stubby wrote:Thrust is universal, and not affected by Slow Movement or Size or Armor Rating or anything else.
User avatar
Voin
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Just remember that Thrust doesn't let you end the turn in the air. You fall wherever you fall.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Szerszen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:52 am

I just adopted for flying units (especially Chima) just rule of additional engine in the same style as legs, which are engine with 5" speed (2.5 CP), of course with rule for flying engine - so you can create even flying units with speed 1" for 1 CP. If you need more speed, you are just paying more CP.
One brick to connect them all...
User avatar
Szerszen
Battlefield General
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Voin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:00 am

stubby wrote:Just remember that Thrust doesn't let you end the turn in the air. You fall wherever you fall.


Would it be kosher to allow a Skill Roll against the number of inches jumped to land on one's feet?
User avatar
Voin
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby stubby » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:26 am

Seems like an unnecessary extra roll. Unless you have some reason to think they wouldn't land on their feet (someone who's bad at jetpacks maybe?), I'd just assume that anyone with a jetpack can control their fall well enough that it's not an issue.

Kind of like the jumping rules in 9.3.

Image
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5084
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Minifigs that have flight.

Postby Voin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:38 am

I want to use Thrust to soften a fall (similar to a parachute, but with more ossum), like the Mobile Infantry troops do in "Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles" which I'd link to, but Sony is being a dillbag about the copyright.

Also, some Mars landers and such do that IRL.

So - Thrust to slow descent: acceptable?
User avatar
Voin
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:31 pm

Next

Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest