Heroic die

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Heroic die

Postby runnybabbit223 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:33 am

Ok, I haven't gotten up to date with the rules since September, so don't hack out at me if this has been done already.

I've been hearing a lot about SN die so it got me thinking,
What if one could buy heroic die for heros instead of a heroic feat, the die make a pool, and can be used for adding onto any roll, or to create a roll of heroic nature. They work a bit like instat bennies and, as far as I understand, SN die.
The heroic die can be passed on (one or more) to other minifigs within skill x ", think officer leadership, commspriation, "Shoot like Hell!"
A die can also be discarded when a hero taes damage over their armour, effectivly giving them a sort of HP.
skill does not increase die size, rather the cap of total die allowed for that hero, 1d6 skill gives 1 HDie, 1d8 gives a max of 2, 1d10 gives 3, etc...

I'm really just throwing the idea out here, discuss.
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Re: Heroic die

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:06 am

You just rebranded supernatural die.

I like the idea but that's only because it the same idea as the SN die system with a slightly different way of capping the maximum allowed die, and the SN die system is already wonderful.
Now I don't think it suits action heroes to much. Their attention span is to short to muddle with multiple die rolls. A quick roll with one die to see if a heroic feat succeeded fits the actioness of action heroes perfectly.

There is nothing stopping you from using SN dice to have a supernaturally heroic hero though or a supernaturally good leader.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Postby runnybabbit223 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:08 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:You just rebranded supernatural die.

I like the idea but that's only because it the same idea as the SN die system with a slightly different way of capping the maximum allowed die, and the SN die system is already wonderful.
Now I don't think it suits action heroes to much. Their attention span is to short to muddle with multiple die rolls. A quick roll with one die to see if a heroic feat succeeded fits the actioness of action heroes perfectly.

There is nothing stopping you from using SN dice to have a supernaturally heroic hero though or a supernaturally good leader.

Ah, I supected as much.

Can SN die be passed on to other minifigs or be exchanged for damage?

Heroic feats haven't been two overcompicated though, players still set a number according to difficulty, just usually a bit bigger, if the player had 3 die in their pool and a target of 9 then the player could use 2 die and keep one for later, if the 2 die fail then rolling the third die on top is fine, because HDie can be used like SN die by adding to rolls.
(check me on that last one, are SN die used to add on to normal rolls?
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Yes, Sn die are used to add onto normal roles if you want to. Basically SN die do anything you want them to do as long as the story makes sense.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Postby runnybabbit223 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:44 am

I mean, a heroic die can be permanently removed from the die pool each time the hero takes damage over his armour, in exchange for the hero not gettig killed. The hero can do this as long as the hero has HDie to chuck out, effectivly giving the hero HP.
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:23 am

But this will make the hero les heroic the further the game moves on.

I think people often want to add HP to their hero because they feel he dies to quickly but the whole redshirt system is supposed to replace HP. Just don't forget to keep a couple of low ranked soldiers close to your hero as he does all kinds of reckless stuff.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Postby Aslocate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:57 am

If you had a wizard hero with supernatural dice AND heroic dice, it might be a bit much, especially since if could add your HDs to your SDs
IVhorseman wrote:Image

If that's not smiley material I don't know what is.

Spoiler: show
Zupponn wrote:Fuck you, I'm a shark.
Aslocate
Nice Dubs

Location: In a far away land, known by the natives as "Jawjuh".

Postby Aslocate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:06 am

then again, if the hero dice could only be used on heroic actions - maybe relating to that hero's cliche - then it might work as a better alternative to heroic feats.
i.e.: a commander hero uses his heroic dice to buff allies
       a beefcake hero uses his dice to boost damage
       a pilot hero uses his heroic dice to get a speed boost
       a hot dog vendor uses his hero dice to increase sales of expired wieners

Aslocate
Nice Dubs

Postby Aslocate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 am

basically, they can only use their hero dice on things relating to their hero type

Aslocate
Nice Dubs

Postby RedRover » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 am

Aslocate wrote:then again, if the hero dice could only be used on heroic actions - maybe relating to that hero's cliche - then it might work as a better alternative to heroic feats.
i.e.: a commander hero uses his heroic dice to buff allies
       a beefcake hero uses his dice to boost damage
       a pilot hero uses his heroic dice to get a speed boost
       a hot dog vendor uses his hero dice to increase sales of expired wieners

All of those would just be feats in their cliche and are still covered by the same rules.

If you want your hero to do or inspire something "commander-y," just make sure (s)he has a Commander cliche.

If you want your hero to do or inspire bravery or an attitude of recklessness, just make sure (s)he has an action hero cliche.

It only really gets tricky with magical hero's as you could use SN or heroic die. I think you would choose to use SN die on small things that you wouldn't mind kickback from if they failed (such as buffing a squad). Where you'd want to use a heroic die would be collapsing a bridge or something because you probably wouldn't have enough SN die for all the things involved in that.
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Return to The Rulebook