Story gaming

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Re: Story gaming

Postby Tzan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:59 pm

I actually played GURPS.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:44 am

Tzan wrote:I actually played GURPS.

I played GURPS Traveller in a PBP that fizzled out in a month.
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
Keldoclock
My Little Pony

Postby L-Man » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:48 am

Keldoclock wrote:
Tzan wrote:I actually played GURPS.

I played GURPS Traveller in a PBP that fizzled out in a month.

Cool. I find Traveller really interesting, but never got my hands on a handbook and/or competent GM. I gm'd some games in base GURPS, though.
"Friends are like trees. If you hit them with an axe, they die."
L-Man
Officer

Postby Gungnir » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:43 pm

I think the most story-driven game I've played is Eclipse Phase. But the rulebook is super friggin' thick.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby lordintype » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:46 pm

I played a game where a guy survived a bomb, then a missile, then four more missiles, then a machine gun, then finally an army shooting at him. We came up with a crazy story, gave the player a benny, (it was his own bomb) and promoted the guy to hero with a "Will not die!" Cliché.
Spoiler: show
Sloths are notoriously good at disguises
lordintype
something different

Postby Duerer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:17 am

stubby wrote:Holy shit, this is fantastic. Everybody go check it out, there's a free PDF download thanks to some kickstarter stretch goal or something.

I really struggle with presenting my stories in a more interesting way. If you really say, that this one's fantastic, then I'll definitely check it out and see, if it helps me with spicing up my stories.
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:15 am

Duerer wrote:
stubby wrote:Holy shit, this is fantastic. Everybody go check it out, there's a free PDF download thanks to some kickstarter stretch goal or something.

I really struggle with presenting my stories in a more interesting way. If you really say, that this one's fantastic, then I'll definitely check it out and see, if it helps me with spicing up my stories.

It will probably not help you with spicing up your stories. But it is a fun system in a very brikwarsy world setting.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Kommander Ken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:25 am

Is it weird that I'm the only one here's who's never played a tabletop game before? Unless you count games like Monopoly or Sorry, BrikWars is my first and only tabletop game I've ever played. Never even played stuff like D&D or Pathfinder before.
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby RedRover » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:22 am

Kommander Ken wrote:Is it weird that I'm the only one here's who's never played a tabletop game before? Unless you count games like Monopoly or Sorry, BrikWars is my first and only tabletop game I've ever played. Never even played stuff like D&D or Pathfinder before.

I'm in the same boat. I was attracted to Brikwars to put the LEGI armies I was building to use. I know next to nothing about tabletop war gaming, but I do love board games
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby stubby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:22 am

Kommander Ken wrote:Is it weird that I'm the only one here's who's never played a tabletop game before? Unless you count games like Monopoly or Sorry, BrikWars is my first and only tabletop game I've ever played. Never even played stuff like D&D or Pathfinder before.

I would not at all have guessed that, based on the quality of your battle reports.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Duerer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 am

stubby wrote:It will probably not help you with spicing up your stories. But it is a fun system in a very brikwarsy world setting.

K, then fuck it! I still gonna take a look at that.
Duerer
Forum Champion 2016-2017
Forum Champion 2016-2017

Postby Kommander Ken » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm

RedRover wrote:I'm in the same boat. I was attracted to Brikwars to put the LEGI armies I was building to use. I know next to nothing about tabletop war gaming, but I do love board games

Yeah, if it weren't for Brikwars I probably won't even know what tabletop gaming really was. Nowadays however, I keep surrounding myself with college friends and co-workers who are telling me "dude, you should join our D&D/Larping/Pathfinder group." But y'know what, why stop there? I should introduce them to the glory that is Brikwars. I've already told a few of them about it.

stubby wrote:I would not at all have guessed that, based on the quality of your battle reports.

Thanks! I think I've pretty much morphed my Lego hobby into a Brikwars hobby at this point. I like putting my spare time into this stuff.
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

Postby Quantumsurfer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:29 pm

I wouldn't have guessed that either, Ken.  Not just the amazing quality of your reports but also the content.  Parts are very D&D-esque fantasy.

But no, not weird.  I mean, there's always a moment when I'm talking to other people who have never really played these kinds of games before (or any games, really) where I am somewhat taken aback.  That egocentric moment wrapped around the bafflement that has me wondering just what, exactly, it is that people do with their free time if they aren't enjoying gaming and its adjacent hobbies.  Games have been omnipresent in my life since childhood.  Takes me a second to remember that tabletop games are still a niche market.  There's loads of people who've only ever heard of them.  So, pretty normal, actually.
Quantumsurfer
Thank god for Kool-Aid™

Postby RedRover » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 am

Quantumsurfer wrote:That egocentric moment wrapped around the bafflement that has me wondering just what, exactly, it is that people do with their free time if they aren't enjoying gaming and its adjacent hobbies.

Netflix.
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby Kommander Ken » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 am

Brikwars and chill.  :warhead:
Kommander Ken
bad at shitposting

PreviousNext

Return to The Rulebook