Easy Mode?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Easy Mode?

Postby Aslocate » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:35 am

So a couple friends and I got together and played Brikwars. They had never played it before, so I gave them a pretty basic introduction. I am by no means a master at the game, and don't know every game mechanic from memory, but I wanted them to have the full brikwars experience, so I didn't use quikwars. However, through BS-ing and a rulebook copy that I printed (2010 version), I managed to make a somewhat functional game that entertained us all. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a simplified or condensed version of the normal rules for newbs to quickly and easily learn the game, while still giving them the whole experience, to minimize time spent scouring through a rulebook and maximize time spent causing wanton khaos and destruktion, so they don't lose interest and burn all their minifigs because they hate not getting to play.
IVhorseman wrote:Image

If that's not smiley material I don't know what is.

Spoiler: show
Zupponn wrote:Fuck you, I'm a shark.
Aslocate
Nice Dubs

Location: In a far away land, known by the natives as "Jawjuh".

Re: Easy Mode?

Postby RedRover » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:51 am

I usually BS bits I don't remember with rules that I feel are fair in the moment. If I feel staying true, I will try to look it up. Sometimes things happen in game that are too specific or require 6-7 different rules so I BS / pick what is going to be the most brikwarsy.

So in essence, yes I have, but not to a major extent.
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby L-Man » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

I think the only things you need for "quick start" gameplay would be basic minifig rules, weapons, horses and heroes. Maybe even SN dice, but you can definitely drop constructions, vehicles, structure points and CP.
In fact, I might try to compress the basic rules into a single A4 sheet. I have plenty free time now.

For me, it's all like D&D. Whenever I introduce new players to the system, we start on low level, randomized stats, with basic classes only, just to minimize the amount of work they have to put into character creation. Then, I present them with a simple plot, a few easy skirmishes just to teach them combat, and I actually do most of the mechanical job (like calculating bonuses) for them. If they get interested enough, after a few games I encourage them to make new characters, this time from scratch. Eventually, they'll start experimenting with different character builds on their own, exploring the mechanics and reading different sourcebooks (which I gladly provide).

You should do the same. Prepare some basic rule summary, and make small, pre-made armies to choose from. Cut everything you see too complex or unfitting with an Ockham's OTCTM (how do we resolve that? well, let's both roll d6 and see who rolls higher, shall we?).
"Friends are like trees. If you hit them with an axe, they die."
L-Man
Officer

Postby stubby » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:04 pm

I was talking about this the other day, and what we would call it. I had this idea that since it would just be a duplicate version of the rules, but in lower fidelity, we could just call it the Dupe-Low version. As in, "keep this on the Dupe-Low."
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby piltogg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:59 pm

created.   See facebook group for copy until the final version can be uploaded to the wiki.
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Higuen » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Aslocate wrote:So a couple friends and I got together and played Brikwars. They had never played it before, so I gave them a pretty basic introduction. I am by no means a master at the game, and don't know every game mechanic from memory, but I wanted them to have the full brikwars experience, so I didn't use quikwars. However, through BS-ing and a rulebook copy that I printed (2010 version), I managed to make a somewhat functional game that entertained us all. I was wondering if anyone has ever made a simplified or condensed version of the normal rules for newbs to quickly and easily learn the game, while still giving them the whole experience, to minimize time spent scouring through a rulebook and maximize time spent causing wanton khaos and destruktion, so they don't lose interest and burn all their minifigs because they hate not getting to play.

Hi! Your friends are lucky to have you as their guide on how to play it. But i think to make the game more fun to play is to continue learning from its instructions and suddenly discovered techniques that will eventually amaze the player. Strategy is equivalent to new techniques.
TROLOLO
Higuen
God of BrikWars

Postby Overwatch_Elite » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:36 am

a spam bot without a link, where's the fun in that?
Overwatch_Elite
In ™ We Trust Overwatch
In ™ We Trust Overwatch

Postby Zupponn » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Overwatch_Elite wrote:a spam bot without a link, where's the fun in that?

Is this self-deprecating humor?
Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product
if you give us money we will give you product

Return to The Rulebook