Minipocalypse: an alternate Quickwars

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Minipocalypse: an alternate Quickwars

Postby War K.I.W.I. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:05 pm

A few friends of mine and me have been playing Brikwars for a while, but got frusturated explaining all the rules to new players. (and our games took like, 2 weeks) So we made a different set of rules for battles with noobs, I give you:

Minipocalypse: An Alternate/Abridged/Ammended/Super-Simplified Quickwars

TURNS
During a player’s turn, 2 of his or her troops may each move and take one major action, preferably an attack. (These two units are called Actives)

ATTACKS
•    The attacker must have a line of sight to more than 1/3 of the target, (thirds: head, torso, legs) and the target must be inside the weapon’s range.
•    You roll a dice, and if (after weapon effects) you get the number 4 or higher, the troop is “killed” and, (unless he’s a hero) cannot be used as an active for the rest of the game.

WEAPONS
MELEE WEAPONS:
Range    Weapon Length +Angry inch*
Weapon
Effects    Adds 1 to your roll
NOTE ON Angry inch: Angry inch allows a melee attacking active to move up to 1” extra inch (for the purpose of getting in range) before attacking

BLAST WEAPONS: (BlastGuns)
Damage Cone    Index-middle finger span
Weapon
Effects    None

SHORT-RANGED WEAPONS:
Range    6”
Weapon
Effects    None

LONG-RANGED WEAPONS:
Range    10”
Weapon
Effects    Subtracts 1 from your roll
NOTE ON Long-Ranged Weapons: Any troop using them may not move and attack in the same turn.

MOVE
•    During your turn, actives may move up to 4” in any direction. Actives may only move vertically if on stairs, ramps, or ladders.
•    During your turn, active troops may sacrifice their attack to move an extra 2”, this is called sprinting.

HEROES
•    Active Heroes may do something called a Heroic Feat, where a hero does something awesome like leaping into a volcano to get his favorite hat. The other players will collectively rank the feat as difficulty level 1-6, and the hero’s player must roll equal to or above the difficulty level to do the feat.
•    If a hero is killed, he is not dead, but cannot be used as an active the next turn.

OTHER RULES:

TRANSPORTS (HORSE)
Transports are any construction built to be a form of transportation. If an active troop is inside a transport, it doubles any his move. Transports cannot be destroyed, but anyone inside one can be killed with Explosives.

RPGs:
Range    5”
Damage Area    2” radius
Weapon
Effects    Adds 1 to your roll
NOTE ON RPGs: RPGs can only be fired once per rocket, but deal damage to everything inside their damage area. They are also the only weapons that can kill troops in a transport.

BODY ARMOR
Armor is protective garments worn by Troops. Armor subtracts 1 from any damage rolled against its wearer. Actives wearing Armor can only move 2”.

So that's it! I'll be posting some of the Battles we've had with these rules, maybe hosting a forum battle or two with em...
Some units have trouble with low skills, but my WATERMELONES get my kills
War K.I.W.I.
Demi-God of BrikWars

Re: Minipocalypse: an alternate Quickwars

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Interesting! It does keep some interesting parts of the flavor. The two active units per turn makes me wonder if most of the units will just get forgotten in favor of whoever's closest.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby Tzan » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:29 pm

There is a tabletop wargame ruleset called "Ancients A to Z", they do something similar.

I may have mentioned this before.
So, like usual you've got 15mm armies, glued to bases. With maybe 8 to 12 bases.

There is a bowl, you put in 3 dice of one color and 3 of another.
Then someone draws one die. That side moves one unit.
Keep drawing till all 6 are drawn.
You never know when you might get 3 in a row.
You never know whos moving next unless all the dice for one side have been used.

I forget if you can move one unit more than once in a turn. Actually I thinks its just move once.
I've played it several times and I prefer it over everyone moves. Makes the game go faster, focuses the action.
Yes, people closer will move more, because they are in greatest danger / opportunity.
Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Postby bann154 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:34 pm

Tzan wrote:There is a tabletop wargame ruleset called "Ancients A to Z", they do something similar.

I may have mentioned this before.
So, like usual you've got 15mm armies, glued to bases. With maybe 8 to 12 bases.

There is a bowl, you put in 3 dice of one color and 3 of another.
Then someone draws one die. That side moves one unit.
Keep drawing till all 6 are drawn.
You never know when you might get 3 in a row.
You never know whos moving next unless all the dice for one side have been used.

I forget if you can move one unit more than once in a turn. Actually I thinks its just move once.
I've played it several times and I prefer it over everyone moves. Makes the game go faster, focuses the action.
Yes, people closer will move more, because they are in greatest danger / opportunity.

Sounds a lot like Bolt Action if i recall
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places
bann154
bann is the mann

Postby War K.I.W.I. » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

Stubby: The two active units per turn makes me wonder if most of the units will just get forgotten in favor of whoever's closest.

One of the main reasons I made it only 2 actives was because some people like to spend 20 mins deciding what to do with each troop. And yes, we do have the closest units attacking more, but usually other units get used for their respective weapon types. (i.e. the RPG guy in the back finally get's used because the enemy started using the tank)

Tzan: Yes, people closer will move more, because they are in greatest danger / opportunity.

Because there are no skill rolls, people towards the front end up dead faster, (because melee attacks deal more damage due to the +1)
Some units have trouble with low skills, but my WATERMELONES get my kills
War K.I.W.I.
Demi-God of BrikWars

Postby AnnoyedZebra » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:19 am

Maybe have a look into the rules of crossfire? Might get some ideas there
Image Image
AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Return to The Rulebook