Bonus Dice

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Bonus Dice

Postby birdman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey guys --
we all know i'm no noob, but i was reading over the 2001 rules yesterday and i found a slight oddity. for a bonus roll with more than 1 die (i.e., 2d6) does each die need to come up a 6 to qualify for a bonus roll or can i roll a bonus with just one die?
up till now, i've been rolling a bonus for every 6 i roll.
Image
User avatar
birdman
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 am

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 pm

For every max roll that you roll, you one other roll in addition.

So say you have something with an armor of 2d10. You roll the 2d10, get a 5 and a 10. You rolled max on one, so you get another d10. You roll a 3 on that one, your total is 18 (5+10+3).

And also, if you get a max roll on a bonus roll, you get yet another.

You have a weapon that deals 2d6. You roll 2d6 and get a 1 and a 6. You rolled max, so you get a bonus d6 roll. You get another 6 on that one, so you get another bonus roll, for which you roll a 3. You end up with 16 damage (1+6+6+3).
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Yup. What he said.

Interestingly enough, a critical failure only occurs if you roll all ones. So if you have 3d10 and roll 1+1+3, you still get 5, and not 3. If you roll all ones though, then it's zero.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6649
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

IVhorseman wrote:Yup. What he said.

Interestingly enough, a critical failure only occurs if you roll all ones. So if you have 3d10 and roll 1+1+3, you still get 5, and not 3. If you roll all ones though, then it's zero.


I don't use that rule for damage or armor. If you roll that badly, you probably aren't going to succeed anyway, but if you have a gigantic gun that deals 10d10 damage pointed at a regular minifig, if it hits, it's going to kill, even if it does roll all 1s.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby Doopliss » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:07 pm

OneEye589 wrote:I don't use that rule for damage or armor. If you roll that badly, you probably aren't going to succeed anyway, but if you have a gigantic gun that deals 10d10 damage pointed at a regular minifig, if it hits, it's going to kill, even if it does roll all 1s.

But then you can have so much fun with abstractions. The minifig must have blocked the gigantic laser Dragonball Z style. :P

Besides, the odds of that being the case are worse than a million to one. Cut the poor minifig some slack.
Image
User avatar
Doopliss
Hero
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:40 am

Postby Ross_Varn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Thing is, if you fail the skill or damage check, the gun is supposed to backfire or jam or something. The minifig didn't block it, the gun just didn't fire.
User avatar
Ross_Varn
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5651
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Procrastinating.

Postby OneEye589 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Doopliss wrote:
OneEye589 wrote:I don't use that rule for damage or armor. If you roll that badly, you probably aren't going to succeed anyway, but if you have a gigantic gun that deals 10d10 damage pointed at a regular minifig, if it hits, it's going to kill, even if it does roll all 1s.

But then you can have so much fun with abstractions. The minifig must have blocked the gigantic laser Dragonball Z style. :P

Besides, the odds of that being the case are worse than a million to one. Cut the poor minifig some slack.


Well, that would be a feat on the part of the minifig, not a mishap with the weapon (which would be shown with the use roll, not the damage). The situation you described would be in the minifig's defense roll, at least in my games.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby pesgores » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:00 am

You add another die to the roll if you roll a critical success. On top of all dice that come up with a crit. suc., you MUST add another die to the roll.

Isn't this basic?
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
Image
User avatar
pesgores
The Dear Leader
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Looking for baseplates

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:56 am

pesgores wrote:You add another die to the roll if you roll a critical success. On top of all dice that come up with a crit. suc., you MUST add another die to the roll.

Isn't this basic?


You're a little late.

Some people just need a different way of describing it to figure it all out.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby pesgores » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:51 am

OneEye589 wrote:
pesgores wrote:You add another die to the roll if you roll a critical success. On top of all dice that come up with a crit. suc., you MUST add another die to the roll.

Isn't this basic?


You're a little late.

Some people just need a different way of describing it to figure it all out.


???

I meant this was almost implied in the rules. Heck, it is explicitly explained, if I remember correctly (at least in the 2005 rules).
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
Image
User avatar
pesgores
The Dear Leader
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Looking for baseplates

Re: Bonus Dice

Postby OneEye589 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 am

birdman wrote:but i was reading over the 2001 rules


He was reading the 2001 rules and was confused by something, which is understandable with any set of rules. He was just double checking.
User avatar
OneEye589
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm
Location: New York

Postby pesgores » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:22 am

2001 rules? Why? Why not read the 2005's?

I guess 2001 only wins when it comes to supplements.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
Image
User avatar
pesgores
The Dear Leader
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Looking for baseplates

Postby Rody » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:47 am

and the multitude of weapons...
let's not forget that.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
User avatar
Rody
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Below sea-level


Return to The Rulebook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest