Theory

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Theory

Postby pesgores » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:15 am

Imagine a urban battlefield. 2 armies battling. Army A is attacking the hugesome building and must destroy it to win. Army B must defend it at all costs.

Army A is almost completely destroyed, they have got only 1 trooper left, a sniper, who's standing on the roof of a building right next to the objective building (let's say, OB). What will he do?

With its player turning crazy, he decides to just shoot the building. He rolls a 2 for skill, when he needed 5. But since the OB is huge and awesome, he gets that bonus to skill so its fire hits the target.

OB is a Lvl 7 structure, so it gets 7d10 armor. On the rolls, it gets a relatively low total number of 35.

Then the sniper fires. The sniper rifle has 2d6 damage. When Player A rolls the dice, he gets an incredibly lucky roll, ending up with 45 on total!

Using this alternative set of rules, if the number of st, lvls lost is found by doing [damage - armor], then the OB would lose 10 structure points, more than the 7 it already has [45 - 35 = 10].

This would mean that the building would collapse due to one sniper shot.

:shock:

Is this enough to reject that underlined rule, even if being totally fun wehn you get extremely lucky?

PS: I think jifel suggested it.

PPS: Army A would have won.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby jifel » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:23 am

What I believe you mean is when s structure is beaten by an attack roll, you take away the number of structure points that the attack beat the defense by, so a damage of 17 to a tank that gets 14 for defense is 17- 14= 3, so it loses three structure points.
Actually, I believe TBD first suggested and used it.

And I intend to use that for all future Forum battles that I host and regular battles.

But it makes sense because one Huge OMG nuke hits a jeep and it loses a structure point? You could go for overkill damage, but that is meh.

jifel
"And the angels of darkness descended upon pinions of fire and light...the great and terrible dark angels."

jifel
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Theblackdog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:01 am

You're trying to discredit the rule by citing an incredibly unlikely situation. In most cases of vehicle-vs.-vehicle combat, this rule works better than anything else I've tried. On average, vehicles take two to three hits before dying -- you won't lose your favorite creation to a single attack but it won't take forever to finish off an enemy vehicle either.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 am

I usually have it so some structures are indestructable, and that is how much it takes to shoot through the walls (overkill)
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby Doopliss » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 am

I'd say not enough to reject the rule, but maybe enough to promote the Sniper to Hero and give him a bunch of Supernatural Points in future battles.
Doopliss
Hero

Postby lrdofbricks » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:38 pm

ya id say the snipers in for a promotion. i personally like when stuff like that happens. after all, why did they leave out the c in brikwars? ill tell you why, its becuaase brikwars is a game the defies modern logic and rules. thats what makes it addicting :D
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"
lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Postby tahthing » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:44 pm

using brick-by-brick damage the sniper would take out 1 brick and maybe a brick on the other side depending on range.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby pesgores » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:35 pm

tahthing wrote:using brick-by-brick damage the sniper would take out 1 brick and maybe a brick on the other side depending on range.

Yes, that's right, but since I decided I would stop using that rule...

I am aware this is incredibly unlikely. Still, it's possible.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby tahthing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 pm

pesgores wrote:
tahthing wrote:using brick-by-brick damage the sniper would take out 1 brick and maybe a brick on the other side depending on range.

brick-by-brick damage records it self and is more realistic as well as being simpler and more desructive, a heavy weapon with a high radius can take out a car, a sniper can take out the driver at long range whill leaveing the car for looting.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby pesgores » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:06 pm

tahthing wrote:
pesgores wrote:

brick-by-brick damage records it self and is more realistic as well as being simpler and more desructive, a heavy weapon with a high radius can take out a car, a sniper can take out the driver at long range whill leaveing the car for looting.

You made me remember why I started to use that rule...now I am confused and don't know what path I should follow.
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby tahthing » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:29 pm

pesgores wrote:
tahthing wrote:
pesgores wrote:

You made me remember why I started to use that rule...now I am confused and don't know what path I should follow.

follow the path of destructtion where minifigures can drive tanks that have had all armor blown off and only have the tracks and a steering wheel left, leave the oddness of the turret being shot and the whole tank breaking!
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby Theblackdog » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:22 pm

tahthing wrote:
pesgores wrote:
tahthing wrote:
pesgores wrote:

follow the path of destructtion where minifigures can drive tanks that have had all armor blown off and only have the tracks and a steering wheel left, leave the oddness of the turret being shot and the whole tank breaking!

My damage rules still allow for component shots. They require more accuracy than attacks against the entire vehicle, but if you want to snipe someone through a window or blow off an engine or turret, that's allowed.
Just one random act of violence can brighten your day. Especially if it involves explosives.

Theblackdog
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Return to The Rulebook