Automatic Fire Decision: 2008

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Which version of Automatic Fire do you prefer?

Billingsly's success grade version
50%
Benny's pencil-flick method
17%
actually i really liked (name)'s contribution
28%
We can combine them by... (explain)
6%

Total votes: 18

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Automatic Fire Decision: 2008

Post by IVhorseman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:44 pm

Okay, so the discussion on automatic fire has drawn on for 100 posts now, with two very very very very well done methods for calculating automatic fire. We have seen both Billingsly's and Benny's contributions rise to the top, and it's time to send one of them down to their lead-filled death, and embrace the other as the official unofficial rules for automatic fire in Brikwars. Problem is, which one? both versions have their advantages and their drawbacks. it is up to us to choose. I will leave the point by point debate to you guys.

for fairness sake, i will not vote. Benny and Billingsly, you are disallowed to vote (even if i can't actually enforce that) via the honor system. Mike, i guess with your supreme internet administrator magic, you get as many votes as the series of tubes will allow.

Gladius
Champion
Champion

Post by Gladius » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:05 am

Links to the full descriptions would be nice for those who don't want to dig through the thread :D

But I did, and I'm voting billingsly. The paper method is nifty but I'd rather something in just numbers.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:27 am

Kidko's auto fire rules are more symbolic of Brikwars, as it requires no paper or pencil flicking. Just 3d6. That's it!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Gorchek
Officer

Post by Gorchek » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:37 am

I still like Rayhawk's rule better, just because it's compatible with another house rule I use. And because I have more dices then I'll ever need anyway.

Of course, I add a few modifications for my games (adding more barrels add extra shots, and I use wing pieces instead of fingers to mesure spread fire).

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:50 pm

I don't know whose option I like, but I know I <i>don't</i> like Almighty Benny's. I don't like how it needs skill, and how that skill doesn't necessary reflect that of the represented minifig. For that rule, a hero and a drunken zombie would have the same skill of the BrikWarrior, making the actual minifig useless. The only thing skill is used for is the number of shots, but whether or not they hit is up to the BrikWarrior in question. This also wouldn't work very well long-distance country-wise or in that online game that will be released in 2046.

I haven't gone through the thread to look at all of the rules, so I can't give any opinions on them. It would be nice if you posted them in this thread.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

blackwing77
Officer

Post by blackwing77 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:42 pm

I'd like to throw my idea into the massive pool(I'm still testing it so sorry if this sucks right now). I'm using a mini with a long range gun for example.

For the extra cost of the size of the gun(a size 1 gun would cost 4cp) it gets auto-fire. When rolling UR however much you surpassed what you needed to roll(3) you get that many extra shots(rolling a 4 gets 2 shots). The maximum number of shots you can get is 3 per gun, if your roll would get you more than 3(rolling a 6) the gun only shoots 3 times and is overheated. Meaning it can't fire next round. The shots must be distributed equally.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Blitzen wrote:For that rule, a hero and a drunken zombie would have the same skill of the BrikWarrior
ah! not true. remember that number of shots fired is determined by a skill roll, so the hero would (on average) have more shots, and thus a higher probability of kicking ass.

as for blackwing, you've basically just described Billingsly's rule near perfectly, besides the fact that it ends up doing more damage per shot than is necessary. I think most of us have already agreed that +1 damage per shot is about fine.

and then back to Olothontor's praise of kidko's rule, while i don't remember it, Billingsly's rule also requires no paper or pencil, and only has ONE d6.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:37 pm

But still: a skillful drunk can land the same number of shots as a retard Hero.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:38 pm

as he should?

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:42 pm

No. BrikWars is not a game of skill of players, but of little plastic men. Making the skill of the minifig dependent on the skill of the BrikWarrior is just anarchy. If you misread my last post, I meant that a drunk played by a skillful player would land the same number of shots as a Hero played by a douche. And that's just wrong.

I'll go and look at the rules now so I can vote.

blackwing77
Officer

Post by blackwing77 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:11 pm

IVhorseman wrote: as for blackwing, you've basically just described Billingsly's rule near perfectly, besides the fact that it ends up doing more damage per shot than is necessary. I think most of us have already agreed that +1 damage per shot is about fine.

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 pm

My own rules:

<u>Steps</U>
6. Select your target. This target must be size 1 and within your weapon's range.

7. Roll your attacker's skill.

8. For each number your roll is above the UR, you fire one more bullet. If you missed this roll, all of them miss.

<U>Bullets</U>
Firing lots of bullets is good. For every bullet fired, add one more finger arc or add 2 damage to a target.

<u>Example</u>
Jimmy and Marie are at a movie, sitting next to each other. On their left is the aisle, and to their right is a space followed by a fellow movie-goer named Jongo. Marie's ex, Pablo, comes out of the blue, wielding his Tex-Mex Machine Gun with a UR of 2. Pablo is in a rage and is intent on killing both Jimmy and Marie. His initial target is Jimmy.

Pablo rolls on a 1d6 and gets a 6, followed by a 2. This makes 8. His skill minus his UR is 6, resulting in six bullets fired. They are aimed as follows:

1. Jimmy for 1d6.
2. Jimmy for +2.
3. Marie for 1d6.
4. Empty for 1d6.
5. Jongo for 1d6.
6. Jongo for +2.

He rolls 1d6+2 for Jimmy's damage, 1d6 for Marie's damage, 1d6 for the empty seat's damage, and 1d6+2 for Jongo's damage.

<u>Notes</u>
Remember that not all attacks will create this much destruction and have this many rolls. This was just to demonstrate the angular details and how damage is handled.

The UR for machine guns is preferably low due to the mass number of bullets fired.

On every skill roll less than 6 but more than the UR, 1d6 shots have missed.

I missed something. I don't know what, but 4 will have a problem.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:59 pm

is pablo targeting Jongo and the empty seat on purpose? if so, i actually like this system. although it IS rather Billingsly-esque. but keep that esque in mind, because yours compensates for spread both by choice, AND in a quick die roll. i'd just like clarification on where your missed bullets land. One thing i'd throw out though is the whole "only targeting size one objects" thing. if i'm holding a machinegun and i see a t-rex, you know DAMN well what i'm doing with it (also, 1d6 missed shots could be a bit much, perhaps either 1d6 - success grade or something would be better?).

and then as a note to everyone, i think the ideal stat for an automatic weapon would simply be a modification to regular ranged weapons. as in, a 2 handed long range assault rifle is gonna shoot 12" away and do 1d6+1 damage (before bonus assault rofl damage), and then just have a lower UR for the whole volume of bullets thing.

and then finally back to blackwing again: what? you did! don't ellipse me! both systems are based off of success grades for extra damage.

blackwing77
Officer

Post by blackwing77 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm

That's a result of I couldn't think of what to say and typing with the ps3 is too much effort.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:11 pm

blackwing77 wrote:I couldn't think of what to say
then don't say anything! one of the wonderful things about forums is that if you pop your head into a thread and don't have anything to say, you can leave and nobody will know!