What houserules do you use?

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Beelze
Nice Dubs

What houserules do you use?

Post by Beelze » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:41 pm

The title pretty much says it all. Although most people here seem to prefer the 2005 rules, I haven't seen anyone use a vanilla ruleset. Most everyone integrates a little of the 2001 rules or makes up a few of their own.

Which houserules do you prefer, and why? Are there any modifications that are technically houserules but in practice are accepted by just about everyone?

birdman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by birdman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:56 pm

I use hardcore 2001 rules for everything.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Post by MasterEcabob » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Since most of the stuff I do is just solo battles I usually tend to give bonuses and fudge die rolls in the team I want to win's favor.

I also fudge movement and weapon range a lot, so as to cut down on the moving across the battlefield and get to the blowing eachother up parts.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:44 am

When attacking soft stuff (minifigs) you must do enough damage to kill them in one attack, but damage done to hard stuff (spaceships, dragons, living Brikthulhu statues) adds up until the end of the turn.

dcl32
Minifig
Location: In Afghanistan providing supressive fire with an M60

Post by dcl32 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:14 pm

tanks are more effective against armor, unless they fire HE shells or have machine guns, .50 machine guns roll 1d10+2 against minifigs

Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Post by Greenkey15 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:58 pm

It appears to be that I made a thread like this in Bonus Material. I'm going to have to pull a Pesgores here, but we don't need 10 of these threads. We already do that to other stuff.

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:07 am

well it depends on what im doing but since I've been doing <a href='http://tinyurl.com/y42zurt'>alot</a> of fleet mock up battles I've been using my own rules and a mix of others, trying to test them out for balance
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Most of my house rules tend to involve the implementation of squads. For example, squads with ranged weapons attack as a group by combining fire, but defend as individuals rather than distributing damage all around the plate. My squads of melee troops move in unison but attack as separate units, usually using their numbers to gang up on their opponents.

I also use the Elite, which is a lesser kind of Hero, with 7" of move and a d8 for attack, but regular minifig defense and no Heroic Feat. I find they're more fun-- and more expendable-- than regular Heroes.
Were it that simple...

Strana
Dimmy

Post by Strana » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:12 am

Professor Ken wrote:I find they're more fun-- and more expendable-- than regular Heroes.
obviously then your not using your hero correctly for he should be at the forfront of your battles with a posy of redshirts at his heals to carry him through any battle.
DARN
Heavy Destroyer Class Carrier Hybrid HODGEPODGE
# odds and ends: a motley assortment of things
# patchwork: a theory or argument made up of miscellaneous or incongruous ideas

Professor Ken
Officer

Post by Professor Ken » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 am

Strana wrote:obviously then your not using your hero correctly for he should be at the forfront of your battles with a posy of redshirts at his heals to carry him through any battle.
A valid point, but I do have a corollary: I don't use Redshirts. If a Hero screws up a Heroic Feat or flops a defense roll, he just dies. Besides, usually my Heroes spend most of their time fighting the enemy Heroes or operating the turret with the 4d10 laser cannon on my AAT.
Were it that simple...

OneEye589
Pooplord

Post by OneEye589 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 am

Yea, I usually don't use Redshirts, either.

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:27 pm

usually forget about lots of rules like redsirts and grinding damage and in most cases I forget how you do feats so i just do a skill check.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I usually forget the rules and I'm too lazy to look them up, so I may fudge as much as a Use rating. Also, made-up units are always great and I don't use CP -- since I have 100 minifigs to use, my brother and I just distribute them evenly.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Blitzen wrote:I usually forget the rules and I'm too lazy to look them up, so I may fudge as much as a Use rating. Also, made-up units are always great and I don't use CP -- since I have 100 minifigs to use, my brother and I just distribute them evenly.
lucky. if i even mentioned brikwars to my sibling she would just call me a dork and walk away. i suppose i can play with andy0002 but hes really snotty and a rule checker. i need someone who understand FUDGE!!!
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Blitzen

Post by Blitzen » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 pm

Really? My brother and I agreed to each make one side of a battlefield, and he proceeded to make the entire thing into malevolent architecture. It's just not cool to build a collapsing wall and a railgun in a medieval setting.

EDIT: And a style note: it's generally accepted that your post is a reply to the last post unless you include a different quote to respond to. You don't have to quote the post above yours.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.