43%
I like castle.
30%

Total votes: 30

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm

Matt wrote:It's just an option added for no particular reason, or it could be just for people who
don't want to vote but still wanna see the results. Just a guess!
that and i thought it was funny. i know there's a bunch of people who just say "well obviously castle is the best theme, so i'll never have to use this ever", and then forget about automatic crossbows and i dunno... magic or something.

and 5 votes for each just means the votes are thus far tied. it's a close race, which is good/bad. after a while, i'll just see who's winning in the arguments that this thread will eventually spawn. then i will declare them victor, and B's rules will become the official unofficial rules for automatic fire in brikwars. basically what this means is that if anyone mentions "and in this battle report, this fig had a short-range machinepistol", we all know exactly how it works.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:28 am

IVhorseman wrote:that and i thought it was funny. i know there's a bunch of people who just say "well obviously castle is the best theme, so i'll never have to use this ever", and then forget about automatic crossbows and i dunno... magic or something.
Hahahaha yes this is very true. :D
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:33 am

Two words: Automatic Crossbows.

Yeah, I went there.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:12 am

Atomsk wrote:Two words: Automatic Crossbows.

Yeah, I went there.
Hahahaha, :D how was it?

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:16 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:

Yeah, I went there.
Pretty uneventful actually. I watched this ridiculous movie, The Last Legion, and they had these... I don't even know what to call them... blocks of mounted crossbows that shot out like 16 bolts at a time. They were horrible in the movie, only killed one guy, and my success with automatic crossbows was about the same. I think Age of Empires II had a Chinese unit with an auto-crossbow, but it doesn't translate as well into Brikwars.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:18 am

Atomsk wrote:
*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:

Yeah, I went there.
Pretty uneventful actually. I watched this ridiculous movie, The Last Legion, and they had these... I don't even know what to call them... blocks of mounted crossbows that shot out like 16 bolts at a time. They were horrible in the movie, only killed one guy, and my success with automatic crossbows was about the same. I think Age of Empires II had a Chinese unit with an auto-crossbow, but it doesn't translate as well into Brikwars.
Aawww too bad.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:56 pm

i know that some country actually DID make automatic crossbows, but they were expensive/innacurate/heavy/terrible. i think it might have been the chinese, too

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:26 pm

They had some unpronounceable name, I think it was Cho'ko'nu or something to that effect.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am

the romans had something like a crossbow that could automatically reload, still was pretty slow though.
or at least I think they had...
I also remember some vampire/werewolf movie which had an autocrossbow in it, can't remember which tough.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Post by Atomsk » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 am

Rody wrote:the romans had something like a crossbow that could automatically reload, still was pretty slow though.
or at least I think they had...
I also remember some vampire/werewolf movie which had an autocrossbow in it, can't remember which tough.
Van Helsing!

piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by piltogg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm

also in warhamer fantasy there are lots of elven or dwarven bolt throwers that could be used.

sadly, I voted for blitzen
o'well Ill have to make fun of her political correctness later to make up for it. :?

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:33 pm

seeing as there's still no clear winner (besides castle), i shall drop the argument bomb:

I prefer Billingsly's.

here's why: blitzen's is nice, and i really appreciate the fact that it combines spread fire and regular auto in a nice way. BUT, you have to actually a) think about what targets you're shooting at in spread fire mode, and b) roll massive skill for covering wide ground.

billingsly's ruleset is nice about this, because even a moron can at least attempt to shoot everything in a wide angle. for blitzen's set, while it's possible, you'd need at least a skill roll of 6 to get a 5 finger cone, albeit you're guaranteed to hit the minifigs targeted (strategically a good thing, but in actual game balance this is horrible). meanwhile, you're actually having to THINK about each individual target you're getting with this cone. now i'm not one to be against thinking, but spraying bullets into a crowd isn't exactly a pick-and-choose art of targeting. you've got a chance of hitting every unit in that range, thought about or not.

those of you who voted blitzen, please tell me why i'm wrong. if you can't come up with a good response, i will declare billingsly the victor.

Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Post by Blitzen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:37 pm

I have no argument. I thought Rayhawk was going to scrap this anyway, so we had might as well make a decision.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

i really don't care if he scraps it, haha. i know if i dislike it, i'm just going to rant, protest, and then use whichever of these rules i'm convinced is best (billingsly's, for now).

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:19 am

Oh Blitzen, always so focused on drawing that line between what's correct and what's wrong.

Even if I do end up scrapping them, they're still good ideas, probably better than mine for many types of battles, and definitely fertile grounds for inspiring innovations in other areas later. (And of course I still plan on stealing bits and pieces of them liberally when for I finally do lay down some kind of final ruling.)