BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

BW 2010 feedback

Post by stubby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 am

A least a couple of you have gotten to take some sneak peeks at the upcoming rulebook, so I thought I'd start a thread for feedback and discussion. Anything you like, anything you don't like, typos, misdirected links, inconsistencies, messed up image alt text, whatever.

For those of you who haven't seen the new book yet, well... I guess that means I'm not interested in your opinion just yet. I'll loop all of the rest of you in soon enough.

I've just uploaded the first little bit of Book 2 up to Chapter 7, although you'll have to ignore the fact that Book 2 doesn't have a cover image yet. The most interesting part for most of you will be the new Mechanik card. All of the stuff everybody's really been waiting for starts in Chapter 8, but I know that once I release that one nobody will care about the first 7 anymore and I won't get any useful feedback. So you've got to wait... for now.

Arkbrik
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Arkbrik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:02 am

The new Mechanik is great, and you should definitely keep the Unmighty Pennies. They will be a great way to clean my conscience when I accidentally make a clever tactical move.

There is a typo in the introduction to Spirits of the Game, where a sentence says: "Others abandon rationality in obeisance to BrikThulhu, the nine-tentacled Ragnoroktopus of chaos and deconstruction, or they are seduced by the corruption of the Nega-Bloktrix and her promises of of cheap Cloan-brik assembly."

(Everyone, hurry up and post lots of feedback so we can get the rest of the book!)

solvess
Dimmy

Post by solvess » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:07 am

You should add different battle examples, like you have solo Jones vs the black knight for jousting, change it up with something like alien bikers, or anything you think would be good.
My brute
"Having enough Dakka is an illusion created by those too weak to stomach true warfare."
"A river of blood begins with a single drop."

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:45 am

Mechanic rules=win, but implementing it to forum battles may be difficult.

Also, in the beginning to chapter 7, The Sonks picture is overlapping onto the Mechanik.

And the dice section is the best one so far.
BFenix wrote:
Silent-sigfig wrote: :dog:
Coolest 1000th post ever :D

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 am

Clicking chapter 10 in the contents page brings you to chapter seven.

and a huge glaring error: The book doesn't start with chapter 6.
BFenix wrote:

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:59 am

I like the mechanik. Might I inquire what the new artillery rules are to be? I only ask because it's a personal matter to me and might get a friend to play brikwars. (He hated the old artillery rules)

RagnarokRose
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS
u a MILLION wus and only then shall you become the MISTRESS

Post by RagnarokRose » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm

This is great. I'm looking forward to the release.
or if he's running across an open field with a pistol while you're hiding in an underground bunker with a hand on the magma release lever
STUBBY WANTS US TO PLAY DWARF FORTRESS
she/her | formerly known as ross_varn | exiled for the good of the f.e.l.c.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:50 pm

I like the mechanik rules, but there's just one thing that seems a little unnecessary to me: the extra d6 roll after patching up structure damage.

I realize that just patching something up with no rolling involved is a little un-Brikwarsy, but this roll just seems a little out of place to me. Maybe if you made a table to determine how effective the repair was, instead of just working or not working. It seems like it would work better, and give the game a little more variety.

Another possibility is that you could make the repair's effectiveness vary every time it's attacked, so it becomes a little more unpredictable like a patch-up job from spare parts should be.
Example wrote: Every time the repaired creation is attacked, roll a d6 before resolving damage rolls.

1: The patch falls off and the creation reverts to its previous condition
2: -2 to armour roll
3: -1 to armour roll
4: armour roll stays normal
5: +1 to armour roll
6: +2 to armour roll

All armour roll modifiers are only effective for the selected attack. If a 1 is rolled, the patch will remain fallen off until repaired.
Alternatively, this could be changed to every turn instead of every attack to save time and dice rolls.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Post by lrdofbricks » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:55 pm

heck i would say just once. the patch epic fails or succeeds. it doesn't do bad, then all of the sudden work magnificent, then fall apart.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"

Lt. Krus
Dimmy

Post by Lt. Krus » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I like the mechanic rules, and also I think you need to add smthing about minifig weapon cnstruction, or is that going to be in 8?

Cpt. Zipps
Mega Blok

Post by Cpt. Zipps » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Just one thing: Weren't there going to be specific weapons for minfigs like 2001?

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:47 pm

Arkbrik wrote:There is a typo in the introduction to Spirits of the Game
Silent-sigfig wrote:Clicking chapter 10 in the contents page brings you to chapter seven.
Perfect, fixed these now.
solvess wrote:You should add different battle examples, like you have solo Jones vs the black knight for jousting, change it up with something like alien bikers, or anything you think would be good.
I agree. The battle examples take the longest to put together though, so those make for big delays.
Silent-sigfig wrote:Mechanic rules=win, but implementing it to forum battles may be difficult.
I agree, but I haven't figured out a good workaround for this yet. If anyone has ideas about this, let me know.
Silent-sigfig wrote:Also, in the beginning to chapter 7, The Sonks picture is overlapping onto the Mechanik.
I haven't been able to duplicate this, what browser are you using? Is anyone else seeing this? I'll try messing with the html a little bit to see if I can improve this, it may just be a bad WIDTH tag.
lrdofbricks wrote:thank you for letting me know that over a year of dedication to this forum aint worth shit to you :D
Hey, don't blame me. If you were dedicated enough you would have gotten it yourself already. Do you really think I'd've let solvess see it, if I was the one making the decision?
Silent-sigfig wrote:and a huge glaring error: The book doesn't start with chapter 6.
:fu:
OPPORTUNITY MISSED
aoffan23 wrote:I like the mechanik rules, but there's just one thing that seems a little unnecessary to me: the extra d6 roll after patching up structure damage.
The more I look at this, the more I agree. The cost in loose bricks and spent Actions is enough for this, especially when compared to the Field Construction rules. I'm taking the roll back out.
Lt. Krus wrote:I like the mechanic rules, and also I think you need to add smthing about minifig weapon cnstruction, or is that going to be in 8?
Minifig weapons and siege weapons are built with the same rules, so 8 covers all of them.

Silent-sigfig
can you feel me?

Post by Silent-sigfig » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Google chrome.
BFenix wrote:

stubby

Post by stubby » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Cpt. Zipps wrote:Just one thing: Weren't there going to be specific weapons for minfigs like 2001?
No, but there will be a greater variety than are presented in the Core Rules. Chapter 8 adds a bunch of extra weapon options.

Hoboman
Galidor
Galidor

Post by Hoboman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Not a rule issue, but something I think should be put into the 2010 rule set is the Forward from the 2005 edition. The historical pictures and insight is a good thing to keep. Maybe you already plan to add it back in, but if not, please do.

(Yes, I realize I am talking like an old man here. :D )
Read the Forum Code & check out The Wiki

"What do you mean I lost another battle?"