BW 2010 feedback

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Tzan
Has anyone ever used those holes before?

Re: BW 2010 feedback

Post by Tzan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Since Escalation is for everyone, shooting a turtle minion doesn't matter, because all your opponents get the bonus too and cover becomes more meaningless over time.

A modification to this would be to use different sized dice.
If you thought +6 was too much, just use a 1d4.

It seems there is still some confusion.
6. I think there is only one First Blood player and everyone gets the bonus on that one guys Escalation die.

7. From reading other peoples posts it seems that some people think the First Blood is per player.
And each player gets his own Escalation die after killing his first fig.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:44 pm

IVhorseman wrote:I'd suggest adding it to armor rolls too (so that once everyone's gotten a kill the values all cancel out), but I feel turtlers would just kill one of their own guys off immediately for this. Which is lame.
Nope, making things die slower isn't escalation, that's just making the game more complicated for no effect.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:46 pm

Falk wrote:What if you modified it that each turn you kill a minifig, the die gets +1. Otherwise, someone could kill a fig and then turtle the rest of the game. This way he would have to attack each turn or weaken himself by killing a minifig of his own.
That's another idea - at the end of every turn, if you killed an enemy minifig that turn, then your die goes up one. Otherwise it goes down one.

Zupponn
if you give us money we will give you product

Post by Zupponn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:31 pm

You could also experiment with having the unit that gets the kill getting a bonus next turn, making either the opponent focus down that unit or encouraging that unit to attack again.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 am

Just a quick note: In Chapter H the effect of buying armor for your horse is still referred to as Armored instead of Shielded.

EDIT: Also in chapter H it says "Like a minifig, a Horse that Charges in a straight line for two inches builds up +1d6 worth of Momentum" while in chapter Five it says "As soon as a minifig runs four inches in a straight line, he earns one d6 of Momentum" It appears to me that what is stated in chapter Five is correct and that chapter H hasn't been updated yet with this change.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:41 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:Just a quick note: In Chapter H the effect of buying armor for your horse is still referred to as Armored instead of Shielded.

EDIT: Also in chapter H it says "Like a minifig, a Horse that Charges in a straight line for two inches builds up +1d6 worth of Momentum" while in chapter Five it says "As soon as a minifig runs four inches in a straight line, he earns one d6 of Momentum" It appears to me that what is stated in chapter Five is correct and that chapter H hasn't been updated yet with this change.
Yep. Chapter H has fallen victim to something that often happens in BW dev - I updated all that stuff in the dev version months ago, but it broke some other stuff and now half the chapter is big red FIX THIS SECTION BEFORE UPLOAD labels and I can't upload until I've worked out the solutions.

http://i.minus.com/ibaDjk7AeIcvxv.gif

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:25 am

Finally got around to uploading the last four months of rulebook updates today. I can't remember everything that's changed since the last upload, most of it is rulebook structural rather than rules mechanical. But off the top of my head:

Lots and lots and lots of cleanup, fixing formatting and links and typos. Most of the last couple chapters that needed CSS formatting have been updated, so the rulebook as a whole should be loading much faster than it did a year ago. Looks like Chapter 8 is one of the last one still using table formatting, so you can compare if you want.

1.4: Spirit of the Game got changed around a bunch. All the parts about Bennies are getting taken out of the Core Rules and moved up to MOC Combat instead. In their place we get a new rule about Everyone's the Boss of Their Own Toys, and a new bit about Enemies and how they control Missed Shots, Half Minded Creatures, and other Koincidences.

Shielding is a lot more consistent now, up through the first book. Chapter 8 still has a lot of mentions of "Armored" that still need correcting.

In Chapter 3, Shields got broken into Shields and Heavy Shields. Random Objects got broken into Random Objects and Minifig Tools. Armor got broken into Body Armor and Heavy Armor. There is also a section about using minifig butts as weapons.

Half Speed got moved to Chapter 4 where it belongs, and is integrated a little better with other Move Actions.

Chapter 5 has rules for Grabs now. I forget if they were in there already.

Chapter 6 has rules for Heroic Deaths and Heroic Weapons; I don't remember if those were already there either. There's also a re-emphasized section warning players to burn any Hero who tries to inspire other units just by making a speech, because that's fucking lame.

Chapter H is now consistent with the rest of the book in terms of Momentum and Shielding. I've taken out the part about unseating a rider, because it was just too much of a hassle under the new simplified MOM dice.

I haven't uploaded the new version of the MOC Combat chapter because it still needs a lot of cleanup, but that's where all the stuff about Bennies and Kanon went.

The MOC Combat chapters still need a lot more work, so they'll be the next big push. I did make one big change to Chapter 10: now that I've got the Enemies rules in place, Half Minded Creatures are much funnier, since they all have conditions now that force you to hand control over to your enemies if you fail to meet them.

Still nothing uploaded for Chapter 11, but the Grab and Heavy Shield rules are laying the groundwork for the upcoming Wrestler and Heavy Infantry units, respectively.

The next plans are to get Chapter 8 into CSS, and simplify the hell out of the Field Hazard, Propulsion, and SuperNatural Powers rules. Then maybe I can finally quit fucking around and get Chapter 11 underway for real. In the meantime I'm still working on getting less text and a lot more photos and examples into some of the currently text-heavy sections.

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 am

You said you had a long time to wait around in an airport. I was wondering if this'd happen...

stubby

Post by stubby » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 pm

If you guys want the rulebook to get finished faster, you should just start buying me plane tickets everywhere, because airports seem to be the magic ingredient

dilanski
Now with added tractor fetish
Now with added tractor fetish

Post by dilanski » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:44 pm

stubby wrote:Chapter 6 has rules for Heroic Deaths and Heroic Weapons; I don't remember if those were already there either. There's also a re-emphasized section warning players to burn any Hero who tries to inspire other units just by making a speech, because that's fucking lame.
Mike you're doing it wrong :fist: .

"If a hero decides to make a rousing speech, then his cliche must be tailored towards it (eg Winston Churchill, Herr Piltogg, etc). To make a successful speech, the hero's player must move into the centre of the room or hall, stand upon any object of convenience, clear their voice in an obnoxious manner, then in full character, recite the whole rousing speech, projecting their voice over everyone in the room. A successful speech is measured by the applause from other players or bystanders. If the applause is low or non-existent, then any other player may heckle them off the stage (enemy or ally), and do their own speech, which if more successful, steals whatever bonus the other player was hoping for. If both players end up looking a bit like twats, then both players armies end up with a negative 1 skill penalty for the turn, to compensate for the eye rolling at two prima donna's bitch-fighting over a game."
Almond Status: ACTIVATED

Apollyon
Actually a decent human being. As far as I can tell anyway...

Post by Apollyon » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 pm

Dilanski is right.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!

Zupponn

Post by Zupponn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:43 pm

:tiger:

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Never! You've all been here for the forum battles, you've seen how "rousing speech" feats waste time and delay action again and again. Only once has a speech action ever been cool - from Vergilius Raskolnikov - and all the rest have made me want to punch whoever suggested them. Rewarding people for speeches gives players excuses not to do anything, which is the exact opposite of what I want to see. So I oppose the Talking Feat, and I will not flag or fail. I'll go on to the end. I'll fight it in France, I'll fight it on the seas and oceans, I'll fight it with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. I'll defend action over jibber-jabber, whatever the cost may be. I will fight on the beaches, I will fight on the landing-grounds, I will fight in the fields and in the streets, I will fight in the hills. I will never surrender!

Now if you want a different kind of unit, one whose job it is to inspire from the sidelines (the CheerLeader) or from the pulpit (the DearLeader), then we can talk about that instead. There's lots of archetypes to fit this role: zealot, politician, preacher, lawyer, philosopher, celebrity, officer, etc.; any one of those would be funny in a battle. But none of them should be considered Heroes.

Tzan

Post by Tzan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:15 pm

Nice speech.

stubby

Post by stubby » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Tzan wrote:Nice speech.
Describe your feeling of inspiration following that speech. Was it a generalized +1, or did it feel like more of a +1 die size to Skill?