Revision: Weapon Use Ratings

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: IVhorseman, Pwnerade

Revision: Weapon Use Ratings

Postby Rayhawk » Thu May 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Pesgores started a thread about a month ago about the Use ratings for custom weapons being screwed up. I've been thinking about it since then and, especially after taking into consideration the Use difficulty examples from chapter 4, decided that he's completely right. A multiplicative function for Use ratings is just the wrong way of doing things; it raises difficulty to supernatural level way too fast. I'm thinking of switching to an additive function instead, so that it's exactly as difficult to hit a size X target with a size X gun as it is to hit a minifig target with a minifig gun. Like so:

Close Combat Weapons / Shields
    old Use: 2 x Size
    new Use: 1 + Size
Ranged Weapons
    old Use: 3 x Size
    new Use: 2 + Size
Explosives are a little different because I want to make them miss by farther distances to offset the increases in blast radius. Effectively, every 1d10 added to the explosive damage means you can miss by an additional two inches and still do the same damage.

Explosives / Rockets
    old Use: 3 x or 4 x Size
    new Use: 3 x Size
Thoughts?

(Lastly, as long as I'm reviewing the Weapons table in chapter 7 anyway, I notice that shields have the same cost and stats as melee weapons, which is obviously wrong since they have fewer useful function. I'm going to correct the Cost to 1 x Size rather than 2 x Size, to better match the costs of minifig shields vs. melee weapons.)
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Dr. X » Thu May 22, 2008 7:51 pm

Hmm.. that seems good, better than it was. The mutiplying of old was just... ick.

This isn't a huge change for me though because I have seperate stats for every structure weapon, and seperate ones for explosives too. (I use the Mk1, Mk2, etc. of old, but modified damage and UR)
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor
Galidor

Postby feuer_faust » Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 am

Hmm, simple change. I will have to test it out! :)
It's a secret to everybody.
feuer_faust
Cannon Fodder

Postby Atomsk » Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 am

I like this revision. Right now I design vehicles with nothing but 2" guns, and they look kind of wierd. I'm all for big guns, and this is good incentive to use them.
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby Blitzen » Fri May 23, 2008 3:01 pm

This is a really good rule change. I actually avoided big weapons because of the cost, but now, I think I might use them in BrikWars.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Tiny Tank Rannon » Fri May 23, 2008 4:18 pm

This will make my mech mashes much more fun.
Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Postby zossima » Fri May 23, 2008 5:26 pm

I like the idea of consistency between the bonus for target size and the penalty for weapon size, but what would happen if the bonus for target size was changed instead of the penalty for weapon size? Just a thought.
TROLOLO
zossima
Battlefield General

Postby Rayhawk » Fri May 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Blitzen wrote:This is a really good rule change. I actually avoided big weapons because of the cost, but now, I think I might use them in BrikWars.

I think that was my original intention, to keep players from overloading on the heavy stuff, but then later I added the size limits for how many weapons you could put on a creation, and that took care of it just as well.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby youaredoome0 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:07 pm

This is awesome.
By the way, what was the rule for explosion radius? I just used whatever the size was, since the LEGO world is scaled about 1:72, so a 1" blast radius for a 'nade gives about 12' "real size" diameter.
TROLOLO
youaredoome0
Officer

Postby Rayhawk » Fri May 23, 2008 8:18 pm

All right, the good news is that I've uploaded the revised weapon stats. They can be found here. The bad news is that the PDF file is now obsolete and will need some kind of errata sheet.

youaredoome0 wrote:This is awesome.
By the way, what was the rule for explosion radius? I just used whatever the size was, since the LEGO world is scaled about 1:72, so a 1" blast radius for a 'nade gives about 12' "real size" diameter.

(Is cursing allowed on these forums? I forget.) Aw shit!

The rules for minifig-sized 1d10 explosives are in Chapter 3, where the explosion radius is correctly listed at 2". But it looks like there's no info in chapter 7 about the radius for larger explosions, so I'll have to go back in and edit it again. Good thing I already had the file open anyway.

The rule for explosive radius is that they do full damage for the first two inches, minus one die of damage for every two inches after that, until you run out of dice.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Tiny Tank Rannon » Fri May 23, 2008 8:29 pm

I think this is great

only a 5 use rating for all my mechs size 3 guns, maybe they'll actually hit eachother now!
Tiny Tank Rannon
Cannon Fodder

Postby Blitzen » Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Rayhawk wrote:(Is cursing allowed on these forums? I forget.) Aw shit!

You've never expressly forbade it, but cursing seems to be avoided. Nevertheless, you can change the rules on a whim, so it doesn't really apply to you.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Foggy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 pm

Hmmm. I suppose the idea is easier to compute.

Before this I compensated larger use ratings for being "designed to hit larger things", so the size of the target was added to the Skill roll.

With this the compensation rule gets thrown out (who needs more rules anyway) and the price stays the same. I like this. So far, at least. >.>

Maybe the explosives have 3 + Size like the rest?
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee
TROLOLO
Foggy
Officer

Postby Rayhawk » Fri May 23, 2008 10:08 pm

All right, I've gone ahead and added a "Heavy Explosives" subsection to Chapter 7.3.

Explosion example to be added later when I'm back in the same city as my Lego supply; I want to show what a nice big explosion does to a castle wall with defenders on top.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby Dr. X » Fri May 23, 2008 11:47 pm

For blast radius, I use XyX studs. For example an Mk1 missile has a radius of 5x5 studs, Mk2 is 7x7, Mk3 is 10x10, Mk4 is 12x12, and so on like Bonn-o-Tron.

Also, I never bother with size limits and power sources. The entire structure only needs one power source, (even ridiculous ones are accepted, such as mouse powered battle blimps) and everything on it WORKs. To quote IVhorseman:

"if the weapon fits on, then damn it will work"
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.
Dr. X
Galidor
Galidor

Next

Return to The Rulebook