Revision: Weapon Use Ratings

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sat May 24, 2008 3:27 am

I'm too lazy to count studs, I use a radius in inches.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Sat May 24, 2008 11:17 am

The two things that I didn't get and kinda disliked (and I was to lazy to make a topic about) about brikwars are finally solved.

Thank you thank you thank you....thank you.........thank you...........
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Dr. X » Sat May 24, 2008 11:54 am

Rody wrote:I'm too lazy to count studs, I use a radius in inches.
I've been working with Legos for so long it's actually easier for me to think in terms of studs rather than inches.
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.

youaredoome0
Hero

Post by youaredoome0 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Stud counting is best when you have people who are used to different systems of measurement. Otherwise it's easier to think in terms of inches.
At some point I just might make a meaningful contribution.

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Sat May 24, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm Canadian, so I'm not used to inches. For Brikwars I just take a string and mark off every inch and use that to measure everything.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Sun May 25, 2008 11:29 am

I love heavy explosions!

I think that one was caused by a barbeque grill.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Sun May 25, 2008 1:15 pm

After play testing the new rules on Saturday, I've found 2 things:

1: The play testing age limit is 13.
2: The new rules are easier for a Size 5 weapon to completely decimate the four opposing sides.

Size 5+2=7 UR with a hero in the cockpit. He didn't hit too many times but he did target the exlpody things. (vehicles, rpgs, wandering hotdog stands, etc)
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Sun May 25, 2008 2:52 pm

My findings are: With the new Use ratings I'll need to be-balance range and possibly costs.

youaredoome0
Hero

Post by youaredoome0 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:24 pm

The ranges are already too small for the size of the weapon, a normal firearm can fire far more than six times it's length.

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sun May 25, 2008 3:38 pm

a normal firearm isn't as tall as you are...
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.

youaredoome0
Hero

Post by youaredoome0 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:57 pm

If you're me it is. But that's beside the point, minifig weapons are defined to be one inch because there isn't a provision for anything smaller.
A five inch gun is roughly equal to a 30 foot barrel. A gun that size should be able to fire at targets miles away.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Sun May 25, 2008 4:03 pm

This point has been stated many times before. Minifig weapons with realistic ranges take much of the fun out of Brikwars. If any of my troopers can fire accurately at my enemy on the other side of the map from their starting locations, the whole game becomes solely about strategy as opposed to mayhem. What's the point of fielding viking Harry Potters when they can never get close enough to chop people's heads off?

Weapon ranges have been fine-tuned for balance, not for realism. In fact, fine-tuning anything for realism in Brikwars is punishable by a severe beating at the discretion of the other players.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Rody
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Rody » Sun May 25, 2008 4:08 pm

I wrote:a normal firearm isn't as tall as you are...
that being said, I would love to have a 6 foot revolver.

Foggy
Officer

Post by Foggy » Sun May 25, 2008 4:59 pm

Rayhawk wrote:My findings are: With the new Use ratings I'll need to be-balance range and possibly costs.
Range could stay the same, but the cost is definitely going to get spiked.

Possible changes to how range is made?
Long barrels for long range.
Wide barrels for high damage.
"We're not here for story time people, lets talk about all the sexy violence!"
-Yahtzee

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Mon May 26, 2008 3:58 am

Guns that can shoot miles away are actually more properly treated as Launchers, since at that point we're talking about artillery cannons. (With the exception of the Death Star gun, whose interstellar range is a special case.)

The balance issue isn't that a size 5 gun shoots so far, it's that it shoots so far compared to a size 1 gun. It should be easy for the size 5 to start wiping out lesser opposition before it comes in range to fire back, but not that easy.

The problem, now that I've scaled back Use ratings, is that as guns get bigger, they now get Size times more expensive (Cost-wise), but Size-squared times more effective (Damage and Range-wise). And that won't do! So here are the next steps.

Guns: Range changed to Size + 5". This nerfs the range of big guns to where they still have an advantage but it's not overpowering. The advantage of bigger Guns is primarily in increased damage.

Launchers: Range changed to Size x 6", removing the unnecessary die roll; Use changed to WS x 2, because it's funnier to miss with Launchers than with any other weapon type, and so I want to make it more likely. Damage as determined by payload: either Explosive Damage for Explosives, or Collision Damage for regular objects (i.e., payload-Size times 1d6). Maximum payload size 1/2 Launcher Size, rounded up. Launchers take over the long-range role, doing less damage than Guns but striking much further away. (I may need to add a Ballistix subsection under the Heavy Explosives subsection in order to clarify all this.)

I really want to work in the idea of ballistik delay, though I haven't yet decided where to make the cutoff: When you launch a payload into the air, you plant down a little target marker at the spot you're aiming for. But you don't make the Attack Roll until the beginning of your next turn, because it takes a while to fly through the air, and until it comes down again, you don't know whether it hit the target or how much it missed by. All you hear is that awesome whistling sound of impending death from above, giving troops time to panic and scatter. It could probably be a simple distance cutoff - for instance, any shots past 10" would be subject to flight delays.