Re: Now you can all stop asking about magick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

This is absolutely how magick works.

Falk
Oh no whatever will we do without the buttplugs

Post by Falk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 pm

If I have a wizard who's cliché is lightning spells, and his dice pool is 1d6, 2d8 and 2d12. He wants to cast an arc of electrik bolts, using 1d8 for skill, 1d6 for range, 1d8 for the arc and 2d12 for the damage. I roll a 5 on his skill, sufficient enough to make the spell work. His targets are a fig in full armor and one in light armor. I roll a 6 on the d8, and a 9 and 3 on the d12s. So does the damage from the d8 and the d12s bypass the armored, or just the d12s. I'm assuming that the d8 counts as damage but correct me if I'm wrong.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."
Empire of Luchardsko WIP wiki page

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:10 pm

First, your wizard would be rolling their normal skill AND the d8 skill, and taking whichever of the two rolls you prefer. Remember also that you don't need to "make" a specific skill roll to cast a spell, that's only if you're modifying a pre-existing weapon attack to add all this damage/range.

D8s used to extend range are not required to add the extra arc, but ones dealing damage would. Assuming you're using it to deal damage, the total UNARMORED damage comes out to (weapon)+1d8+1d12 damage. Assuming you're just using something that deals d6s in damage, only the d12 punctures the armor. If you're using a shotgun or other blastgun however, you can get 1d8+1d12 to punch through as well! Also keep in mind that you're suffering a -1 to damage for every inch the target is away.

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:32 am

IVhorseman wrote:This is absolutely how magick works.
Hah! Sarcasm!
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm not even kidding! I think the supernatural dice have far more interesting applications when they're attached to weapons and vehicles as opposed to just heroes. Got some extra nuclear generator bits on your death copter? Just give it 1d10 SN dice for each one and it could use them for movement or increased damage output or whatever.The best part is that when they blow up, they've already got 1d10 SN dice to explode with!

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Do SN dice use Weapon size"? Because if they don't, they would be the perfect shields for vehicles.
BrikWars 2010 Rules wrote:BrikWars ... stands in pretty direct opposition to many fundamental elements of the LEGO® philosophy, such as "Not Teaching Kids How Funny It Is to Set People on Fire."

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm

Well they're not weapons, so no? Keep in mind that if you roll a 1 they'll get fumbled though, and the shield will be significantly less powerful (+1d10 to defense becomes +1d10 to taken damage, for example) as the SN dice cancel each other out.

Legomc
you don't nessesarily think about what you are saying

Post by Legomc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I am confused by talismans.
2010 Rulebook wrote:Talismans
SuperNatural abilities can be given directly to minifigs, but machines, animals, and inanimate objects can carry SuperNatural powers as well, through enchantment, possession, alien teknology, or the misunderstanding that results when a minifig doesn't realize the power was within him all along. The powers of these objects are controlled by whatever Creature possesses them, inevitably making them the subject of deadly conflict.

As with Minds and other special devices, each SuperNatural Die must be based in a specific physical element or elements so that enemies have the chance to target them for destruction or even theft. An element that carries SuperNatural power is called a Talisman, and units require a separate Talisman for each SuperNatural die under their control.
The two sections I made bold seem to contradict each other. Are talismans required to be Super Natural, meaning that a minifig must be packed with nick-nacks to be any use as a SN? Or is that only for vehicles, creatures, and structures?
TheVengefulOne wrote:
XxXTheEdgiestMemeXxX wrote:>I believe Concave Dolphin is a very balanced and well-rounded team. However, Concave Dolphin could benefit from a healer and a tank. :tiger:
If you mean Concave Dolphin could benefit from being run over by a tank, I think they already have.

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Post by stubby » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 pm

The key phrase here is "As with minds". Minds can also be given directly to minifigs, but they must be based in a specific physical element. Namely, the head.

So if I had (for instance) a 5-die wizard, I'd put one die in his head, one in his beard, one in his fancy hat, one in his staff, and one in his cloak. All of those things can be destroyed or stolen by enemies and used for their power.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

Falk

Post by Falk » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:18 pm

So basically each SN die has to be physically represented by a brick, with one being imbued into the minifig?

Legomc
you don't nessesarily think about what you are saying

Post by Legomc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:27 am

Okay, that makes more sense.
TheVengefulOne wrote:
XxXTheEdgiestMemeXxX wrote:>I believe Concave Dolphin is a very balanced and well-rounded team. However, Concave Dolphin could benefit from a healer and a tank. :tiger:
If you mean Concave Dolphin could benefit from being run over by a tank, I think they already have.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 am

I wonder about stealing / picking up talismans. It seems any Minifig can use them as effectively as the Supernatural minifig that starts out with it (you're limited to the Talisman's cliché but that's about it and it's not such a big deal) so losing your wizard isn't such a big deal and lost talismans turning a random grunt into a super mage seems just a tad too harsh. Maybe the Talismans' SN dice should be reduced to a lower die when a none SN Minifig tries to use them? (so for example a d12 would become a d10)
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am

A d12 has different magic in it than a d10 does, so it wouldn't really translate. But it's not much different than killing an enemy and taking their gun.

There's a pretty good decrease in power from the minifig having 1 die in their body - a 3 die wizard dies and drops 2 dice of talismans. The power difference between an effect with 3 aspects and one with 2 aspects is a pretty steep drop.

Bragallot
MULTIPLE, SIMULTANEOUS AND DEVASTATING DEFENSIVE DEEP STRIKES!!!

Post by Bragallot » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 pm

I guess that would work, but you could take the minifigs' skull or beard as well if that's his Talisman so I don't really see where this decrease is coming from.
Fantasy battles - Scifi battles
Kommander Ken wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:04 pm
Wtf is this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:09 pm

You're welcome to house-rule it if it makes sense for how you're positioning magic in your story or world fiction, of course. For general purpose, the flavors I'm trying to push are

6. magic always defined by its potential to bite you in the ass, so it backfires constantly and is always in danger of falling into your enemies' hands full-strength

and 7. units who think they're super special are actually just completely normal minifigs with a big ego and a fancy hat or something