Skill, hero's and more help!

Rules questions, suggestions, and discussion

Moderators: Pwnerade, IVhorseman

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Skill, hero's and more help!

Post by Orange yoshi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:30 pm

hey guys, i have read the rules and couple times but i still don't get what skill basiclly is, how to make a hero and waht is so specail about him, and points costs, and percily how to do close combat, and the wepon verus armor does not seem right (2d6 for armor 1d6 for wepon the ones for my first battle) so could you guys like help make these clear plz, and also give me advice!

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:38 pm

a hero is just a special unit. you make one by saying "This minifig is a freaking hero".

heroes have 2d6 armor because they're bad ass, and therefore harder to kill.

skill is how good a minifig is at doing something. to complete a combat action, a minifig rolls their skill to see if they are skilled enough that turn to do whatever action it is. each action has a UR, and if the skill roll is higher than the UR, the action is completed successfully.

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:02 pm

UR?

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Unholy Rampage

It's when you get 17+ kills in a row with a single unit.

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/4.htm
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 pm

ok so the hero has been explained so far...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm

okay, so most items (swords, guns, catapults) have a Usage Rating (UR). to successfully use said item, a minifig rolls their skill to attempt to use it. if they are successful and roll skill higher than the UR (so if the UR is 3, they roll 3 or higher), the action was a success! the bullet hit the target, the sword struck the fig, whatever. if the roll was lower (a two or lower in this case), the attempt was a failure. the bullet missed, or the sword hit air instead of flesh.

personally, i don't do point costs because i don't like bookwork.

also, close combat has things like parries, counters and crap like that. i prefer ranged weapons, and don't deal with that. however, close combat without that is simple. to attack a unit in CC, the damaging end of a weapon must hit the target (like the sharp part of a sword, or the heavy part of the hammer). each weapon type has a certain UR, and to do damage, a minifig must roll their skill and beat the UR.

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:07 pm

how do i know how much skill it takes to like idk, say.... roll and fire or jump from place to place?

Bonn-o-Tron
Mega Blok

Post by Bonn-o-Tron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Different actions have different URs, based on the complexity of the action.
http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/4.htm#2
Scroll down to Actions, and there's a chart that should give you a good idea.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Dr. X
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Dr. X » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 am

IVhorseman wrote:okay, so most items (swords, guns, catapults) have a Usage Rating (UR). to successfully use said item, a minifig rolls their skill to attempt to use it. if they are successful and roll skill higher than the UR (so if the UR is 3, they roll 3 or higher), the action was a success! the bullet hit the target, the sword struck the fig, whatever. if the roll was lower (a two or lower in this case), the attempt was a failure. the bullet missed, or the sword hit air instead of flesh.

personally, i don't do point costs because i don't like bookwork.

also, close combat has things like parries, counters and crap like that. i prefer ranged weapons, and don't deal with that. however, close combat without that is simple. to attack a unit in CC, the damaging end of a weapon must hit the target (like the sharp part of a sword, or the heavy part of the hammer). each weapon type has a certain UR, and to do damage, a minifig must roll their skill and beat the UR.
There actually is parrying/riposting and countering rules in both rulebooks, and since my troops use any weapon they can get their grubby little hands on, I even modified the rules. Before a trooper attacks, the defending minifig, if they have something to parry with, can declare a parry or parry and riposte. If he is a minifig, he has to have 2 weapons to parry AND riposte. If he is an officer or hero or champion or ninja, he can parry AND riposte with on weapon. So, if the attacker successfully uses his weapon, (say his skill roll was 4, one above the UR of the cutlass he was using) then before damage, the defender attempts to parry and or counter. (you must decide if you're going to parry or parry/riposte BEFORE the skill of the attacker is rolled, and declare it) To parry, he must roll his skill above the UR of his weapon and above the skill the attacker rolled when attacking. If he is also countering AND he is a minifig, then he gets -1 skill penalty. But if he is an officer or hero or champion or ninja, no -1 penalty is administered. So say the defender was an officer, (skill 1d6+1) and he has declared a parry AND riposte. He rolls a 4, +1 with his skill which equals 5. This is higher than his cutlasses UR of 3 and also higher than the enemy's rolled skill of 4. If the officer was a trooper, he would get a -1 penalty becuase he is riposting also and then only get 4, not enough to block. But he is an officer, so 5 is enough. He blocks. Now he ripostes (counters). Before he rolls skill, now the original attacker has to declare if he will parry or parry/riposte. He declares a parry without riposte. Then the original defender (now attacker) has to roll his skill. He rolls a 4 (3+1), above the UR of 3 for his cutlass and attacks. The trooper rolls 5 (lucky dog) and blocks, but doesn't counter. So, the original attacker attacked the defender, the defender parried and riposted, and the attacker blocked the riposte. Now the combat ends. Sometimes, if it's hero versus hero or something, it can go on for a long time, and it's like a sword fight awesome. If it is champion versus champion, and you want it to be epicness, you can forget ending it and just continue until someone dies. So yeah. I just took the Hawk's rules and modified them to be more swordfightey. People like IV probably won't use that kind of modification, but I like it because I like swordfighting. (I take fencing and I boff.) Now take that and use it in a brikwar yeh little orange yoshi!!!!
I think those stats only apply to non-Mexicans.

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:20 am

was that a dis to yoshi i read?!??!

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:31 am

No you silly guy he was saying you should go and play brikwars and have fun but if all that he said confused you than don't use his rules what he just said where his custom rules so not everybody (just mostly him) uses those rules and even if he was dissing you so what what yah gonna do send him some spam mail.
just have fun and play brikwars okey ;)
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 am

is it a good idea for your first few batles not to do ships, and other big stuff, only like samll little things, or none at all or what?

*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Post by *CRAZYHORSE* » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:43 am

yeah for your first battles it whould be the smartest to just have some small squad based battle with about 5-6 people on each team and each team with a small atttack vehicle or something like that but what is the most important is that you a have a fun terain with lots of interaction.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.

pesgores
The Dear Leader

Post by pesgores » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:44 am

For my friends first battle, he used vehicles and stuff and he won.

So i guess you could use them, but if you are getting too confused about the stats and all that, make solo battles untill you don't have to check the rulebook for some rule you forgot.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"

Orange yoshi
Champion
Champion

Post by Orange yoshi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:46 am

well see, it's only me and my bro (14 and 14 8) ) so we got eachother in our books, but he has his mind set on doing staarships, big vhecals (including AT-AT :roll: ) and then we could not figure out exactly how to do damage i had been saying before "let's just do minifigs maybe little vehcals but nothing big, and also a small game) then he ruinned it by quiting because we could not figure it out! bugs the heck out of me! i mean i want to play!