New CP idea

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 pm

I never intended to finish the card game. It's just a fun idea to work on periodically. Feel free to move forward with it on your own - it shouldn't be hard to mock ideas up on 3x5 index cards with stick-figure art; that's what I was doing for the playtests.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5716
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby JuiceBox » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:33 pm

I really love the idea of using unit inches and mods instead of cp. I was in the process of making stat cards for all my units and it was taking forever using cp as the economy. This new system is much simpler.
User avatar
JuiceBox
Demi-God of BrikWars
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Legofighter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 am

:necro:
Free guns for every minifig/vehicle somehow seems unbalanced:
A fig with a grenade launcher or a sniper is much more powerful than one with, say, a pistol, yet under this system they both cost the same.
A maching gun on an APC costs the same as a canon that can be on a tank, yet the second option is many times more powerful, as it can destroy other vehicles/walls regularly, while with an MG it's much harder.
Also, there's a few thing that are missing for the moment:
Do explosives (like grenades, cannon ammo, missiles) cost something? Having them as free when you have a gun to fire them is OP.
Does a movable cannon placed on the ground cost anything?  It should at least cost it's size, as it's a vehicle by itself (now the fact that it needs figs to move it is like tanks that need probably more than 1 fig to operate at full capacity:
you got to buy them)

I, personally, don't see too much problems with CP (mainly because of the new stat card generator for vehicles). It's also more balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want once the stat card is created.
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.
User avatar
Legofighter
Minifig
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: Frozen land of Canada

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:26 am

Legofighter wrote::necro:
Free guns for every minifig/vehicle somehow seems unbalanced:
A fig with a grenade launcher or a sniper is much more powerful than one with, say, a pistol, yet under this system they both cost the same.
A maching gun on an APC costs the same as a canon that can be on a tank, yet the second option is many times more powerful, as it can destroy other vehicles/walls regularly, while with an MG it's much harder.

I disagree. Powerful weapons are better against heavy targets due to Damage, but light weapons are more effective against smaller targets due to Use. Whether an army full of snipers and grenadiers is more effective than an army full of knife-and-pistol guys depends mainly on what terrain they're fighting over.

Legofighter wrote:Also, there's a few thing that are missing for the moment:
Do explosives (like grenades, cannon ammo, missiles) cost something? Having them as free when you have a gun to fire them is OP.

You still have to carry them. For minifigs, the cost of carrying a second explosive round isn't the CP, it's that it's a physical object and it takes up a free hand. And then once you're out, you're out.

For vehicles, it's a little trickier, but similar. I feel fine about you having infinite missiles if you're going to take the trouble to build them.

Legofighter wrote:Does a movable cannon placed on the ground cost anything?  It should at least cost it's size, as it's a vehicle by itself (now the fact that it needs figs to move it is like tanks that need probably more than 1 fig to operate at full capacity

Yep. But even if it didn't, you'd still need to pay for the fig who operates it.

Legofighter wrote:I, personally, don't see too much problems with CP (mainly because of the new stat card generator for vehicles). It's also more balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want once the stat card is created.

Which is why I'm leaving it in for now. But in the long term I think CP accounting is just extra work that doesn't really add any value to the experience. I think removing CP can be just as balanced and allows you to have fun battles as many times as you want... immediately.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5716
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Scratch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:40 pm

I'd say the other balancing factor about having explosives not cost CP is that if you have a truck packed to the brim with explosives, one smart scout or crit fail will send your side of the field to Valhalla. So there's an inherent threat to having too many explosives in one place. (on a side note, all explosives should detonate when shot, even stable ones like C4, since having an explosive not explode is totally not brikwars.)
The only unflawed system is Lego System.
Zupponn wrote:
Colette wrote:You're free to make your own map from scratch, however.

All you have to do is flatten his head.
User avatar
Scratch
Reihawk
 
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm
Location: The Wine Dark Sea

Re: New CP idea

Postby Sir Sporktimus » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:14 am

Just please, please, for the CP fans here, make the Inches version a new rulebook, instead of editing the 2010 to fit.
Tzan wrote:Violence is a renewable resource.


Natalya wrote:Overwatch died. Put this in your profile if you miss Overwatch.
User avatar
Sir Sporktimus
Minifig
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm
Location: Huntsville, Alabama (Just passing through)

Re: New CP idea

Postby lordintype » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:10 pm

stubby wrote:But wait, you're saying. What's to prevent abusing the system by loading up on Heroes or Specialists or Size 0" vermin? What about SuperNatural Dice and Vehicle movement rates?

We could, for example, use specialty Points? Heroic ego costs 5, stealth 4 etc.
General strategy: Sacrifice my minifigs, get an almighty benny.
Team strategy: You guys, pointlessly sacrifice your dudes. I'll be our saving grace.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
TROLOLO
lordintype
Officer
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:20 pm
Location: Probably the sofa

Re: New CP idea

Postby Whiteagle » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:14 pm

DeltaV wrote:I myself would still prefer using CP as an indicative to the overall power of an army, but that's because my own army contains a lot of gimmick units with weird weaponry and/or abilities, which would be difficult to balance otherwise.

Silent-sigfig wrote:I think CP works just fine. People who don't use CP probably won't use this system, which seems very hard to balance out specializations and armor. CP, while arbitrary, did that adequately.

Yeah, I wouldn't switch out something that functions for a nebulous concept just yet...

samuelzz10 wrote:(Guy who hasn't read 50% of thread + hasn't played Brikwars in over 6 months dropping 2 cents)

I never used CP, but now that I'm going to start planning some 2v2 games and such, I think there are a lot of up-sides to it when you really look at it. With inches, you can have one player who's really purist buy 40 grunts and another player buy 40 broken custom units if they are fudging it too much, and so forth. I think CP is pretty good because it shows pretty precisely how equal 2 teams are, one team could have 40 grunts and another could have 25 specialized units, and it would be really even because the CP cost is the same, rather than just using inches, which are a little too easy to abuse.

Agreed.

stubby wrote:Yes. I'm going to finish out BW2010 with a complete CP system before writing the U" version.

YAY!!!
User avatar
Whiteagle
Absolute Twatpot
 
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Whiteagle wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't switch out something that functions for a nebulous concept just yet...

Just because something is a nebulous concept to you doesn't mean it's a nebulous concept.

Whiteagle wrote:
samuelzz10 wrote:(Guy who hasn't read 50% of thread + hasn't played Brikwars in over 6 months dropping 2 cents)

I never used CP, [knee-jerk reaction based on not reading the thread and never having tried CP to begin with]

Agreed.

Wow, color me unsurprised.

Hey! Good news. I explained in the post right after that one why that opinion had nothing to do with the actual system being proposed here. Maybe you'd like to read it. Or, I guess the more likely alternative, you can just tell me again in all caps that I don't know what a CP system is.

I think I can come right out and say that anyone who says something like "I never use CP" counts as a vote against CP automatically, no matter how much they like the idea. Liking a system "in theory" is meaningless.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5716
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:18 am

Image

Image

Image
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:45 am

Image
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5716
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:38 am

Did you edit my post? I thought about adding a third but I wanted to leave a little ambiguity there. If it was a third party like natty or shadowscythe though then it becomes funnier somehow.
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:04 pm

I thought about telling you whether I edited your post but I wanted to leave a little ambiguity too.
User avatar
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia
 
Posts: 5716
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Keldoclock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Image
Image
stubby wrote:omg noob, balrogs are maiars too, don't you know anything
User avatar
Keldoclock
Pooplord
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: New York City

Re: New CP idea

Postby runnybabbit223 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:36 am

We hit on an idea like this way back in 2009, we found that the system was too easy to expliot. So going against brikwars lore, we went from AV to HP and created a whole new system around that.  :twisted:

It worked surprisingly well as we made a base HP for different units (2HP being trooper class and 4HP a hero.) The points of units (UP) worked by the standard: 1 UP
for every 1 HP, this incudes vehicles. weapons are anywhere between 1 and 6 UPs
depending on the UR, damage, and range. Any upgrades, skill and the like are all 1
extra UP.

Anyway our system works really well with on-the-spot-battles and vehicles (weapons on vehicles cost between 2 and 20 UP.) I encorage you to try something like this as we have never gone back to CP.
Helicoper is a lame name, ... Try Bellypopper!!

If anything I write is missspellt, it's because I don't have spellcheck!!
User avatar
runnybabbit223
Champion
Champion
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm
Location: Rystone NSW AUS

Previous

Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest