The Hive-Mind

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

The Hive-Mind

Postby Voin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 pm

"Resistance is futile theft, komrade."

So I've had this idea kicking around for a while, & I wanted to bounce it off y'all & get some feedback to help refine it.

It's a new type of Mind called the "Hive-Mind". It would start at 1d4 (Incompetent) Half Mind level, but it would go up in Skill Dice as MOAR hive-minded individuals give up their free will & obediently join the kollective to be ass-similated. Maybe equal to times (the number of faces on a skill-die + step up from d4)? So to get to d6 (6x (2x1) =12) you'd need 12 members in a swarm. To get from d6 to d8 (8 x (2x2) = 32) you'd need to increase the Swarm size to 32, and so on.

Swarms don't need an Officer to bump up their Skill Die (it's an allegedly classless society where they eat any such bourgeoisie), but they can only take a Combined Action &/or Combined Movement  w/ full & entusiastic participation from every loyal komrade. Either everyone in the Hive-Mind works for glory of kollective, or the whole thing grinds to a halt & they stand around twiddling their thumbs (or other appropriate appendages) for that turn, making vague remarks of envious blame & autistic scREEEEching toward Imperia-Kapitalist pig-dog-sharks. Swarmies reinforce among themselves the notion that individuality & any deviance from the norm is BadWrongThink & thus can always Swap for one another, & b/c they strive for perfect, lock-step conformity it's impossible to Single Out one from a Squad Plate.

I'm still deciding whether or not to have the whole Swarm roll one Kollective Skill Die of People's Labor (since every member rolling their own  :warhead:  would result in inequality of outcome w/ some excelling & some failing & lead some komrades to have dangerous, counterrevolutionary thoughts).

Examples: Ants, bees, & other rigidly hierarchical vermin (IRL entomology be damned), social-media addicts, invading CyBorgz from SPAAAAACE!, Kommunists, Giant Space Bugs, Giant CyBorg Kommunist Bugs from SPAAAAACE!

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions/feedback?
Last edited by Voin on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shamelessly blatant self-promotion: check out my armory, where you can find new custom abilities and battle-gear stats, and my MOCPages page, which I really ought to update more often.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Re: The Hive-Mind

Postby sahasrahla » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:56 pm

now i want to play a game with this rule
sahasrahla
that is a fantastic question to which no satisfactory answer will be forthcoming

Postby loafofcheese » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Interesting Concept and I think it would work pretty well. Give it a playtest.
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder

Postby Voin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Thanks for the positive response, guys! :)

The idea is that individually, they'd be very weak/ineffective, but en masse, they'd become (potentially) very powerful, & w/o a central leadership figure you could attack for massive damage.

I'm thinking about making them interact w/ Monstrous Contagion, so there'd be an impetus to stop the alien-zombie-werewolf-nanovirus plague before it got a mind of it's own.

Build-wise, this would encourage vast hordes of small, identical (or close-enough) units.
Shamelessly blatant self-promotion: check out my armory, where you can find new custom abilities and battle-gear stats, and my MOCPages page, which I really ought to update more often.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Location: De-facto Greater Kekistani Republic Ethnostate, in Diaspora/Holy Kekkan Empire

Postby Darkstorm » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:44 pm

Alright- I love this idea. This is so much better than my horribly stat-twisted monstrous contagion thing I had- I'm going to toy with this idea and see what I come up with.

I don't want to self-promote but here's what I'm talking about
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16275
The darkness is coming... Darkstorm will rise! Death to all who oppose us!
My Faction:Darkstorm Empire My Alliance:Kult of the Darkness
Darkstorm
oh god

Postby Voin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Darkstorm wrote:Alright- I love this idea. This is so much better than my horribly stat-twisted monstrous contagion thing I had- I'm going to toy with this idea and see what I come up with.

I don't want to self-promote but here's what I'm talking about
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=16275

Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring you, just been having a lot of computer troubles lately. I'll try to take a look at it as soon as I can.
Voin
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Darkstorm » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I've playtested this a time or three, it always seems that once I start getting shot at my units can't cope, being that it is very hard to amass more than 10 figs at a time (max), as they are too quickly killed. having them be :d4: incompetent is even worse.
My full recommendation is to cut down the number of figs needed to upgrade skill, I recommend the formula ((#faces + step up from d4^2)+. So, :d4: to :d6: would need 7 (much, much better imo), :d6: to :d8: would need 12, :d8: to :d10: would need 19, and so on. This would make the hivemind player actually want to attack rather than cower in fear of losing swarm members, as it takes so many to upgrade.
Darkstorm
oh god

Postby Hiremas Alkerith » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm

I might bear all of this in mind for my "technicians"...
Thanks m8!
AnnoyedZebra wrote: why is the dork knights groin shiny?

Stubby wrote:It's a dork in shining armor. Really, if you're going to be a dork knight, the dork has to be the shiniest part.

Have a look at my current forum battle!
Hiremas Alkerith
Cannon Fodder

Postby Darkstorm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:36 pm

No problem. I mean, we are allied now.  :lol:  8)
Darkstorm
oh god

Return to Bonus Material