LANDSHIPS

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Re: LANDSHIPS

Postby Voin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote: this is the first idea for the tank, from sci-fi writer HG well short story "the LAND ironclads".

A challenger has appeared:

And what list of supertanks would be complete without some German engineering that was high on ambition and low on practicality, specifically the Landkreuzer:

At the time of its conception, there was pretty much no bridge in Europe that could support it.

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:as one can see, these machine most likely don't play by normal rules of combat due to there size,armor, and maned guns, so does anyone got ideas on how to used them, as well as destroy them?

Regular anti-armor tactics still apply, just scaled up. The weakness of tanks has historically been infantry (smaller, more mobile) with anti-armor weapons, especially in urban combat environments, where they can use the tank's unwieldiness against it and have plenty of places to hide.

Of course, the scale of such vehicles in real life is limited by the practicality of logistics (see: for want of a bridge, above). If the enemy can get it immobilized, then the assault to take it becomes that much easier. Also, another reason few such vehicles were built in real life is that their ponderous size made them sitting ducks for bombardment by bomber planes and actual naval vessels.

Oh, and huge guns means that the OPFOR soldiers will be able to get around them (or even walk on them) to positions where the tank can't fire on them.

What does this mean in BrikWars terms? OPFOR (OPposing FORce) can get it bogged down in impassable terrain, and then board it. It'd vast size will typically translate to poor speed an mobility, and that means artillery can maintain a fix on its position long enough to give it a good pounding (and it's quite likely that even missed shots will hit somewhere on a tank big enough to have its own ZIP code).

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:
Gungnir wrote:Have it act as a mobile battlefield. Instead of doing damage to the whole thing, you can only do component damage.

that what i was kind of thinking.
another thing about this juggernaut is each 4 gun is not man by the pilot, but by a gun crew of 7 people(one lower ranked loader,one officer, one higher ranked loader, and 4 gunners

Just get a bunch of gunners on it. With their Gunnery Support, it means that if your supertank has, for example, 12" guns, there can be up to 12 gunners on that cannon.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 am

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:"stingers"(AA tanks) blast at anythings the get too close to "mommy", also, landships are offen times armed with AA guns

Of course in BrikWars, unlike in many RTS games, there aren't really dedicated Anti-Air units. Pretty much any gun can work just as well against ground targets as it does against aerial ones.

For example, my AA-turret from Red Alert 1 works equally well as an anti-whatever turret.

Inspiration (from the game):

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:speaking of ironmonsters, anyone had the idea of putting a gunnery platfrom on a steampunk dino or bio tech beast on here yet? it could be like a hybrid "dino\landship tank" :)

Like the Gun-Ceratops from the rulebook?

Gun-Ceratops: 12 CP
(Horse: 9 CP, Gun: +3 CP)

LEGO AA gun renders are mine, all other pics are property of their respective owners.
Hey y'all, sorry I've been gone for so long, was moving my stuff to a new computer.
Voin
Officer

Postby Maverick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:49 am

What about a Lipleurodon with turbo-lasers?
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby The Shadowscythe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:51 am

Maverick wrote:What about a Lipleurodon with turbo-lasers?

A magical leoplerdon?
-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby Maverick » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 am

The Shadowscythe wrote:
Maverick wrote:What about a Lipleurodon with turbo-lasers?

A magical leoplerdon?

Yesss... Eat them bitches out of the air. Also throw a fireball on that AA gun. Bitches.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
Maverick

Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 pm

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:eh, something bigger
like a F***ing flying steampower whale form "leviathan"
it half air warship, half bio tech whale

meaning it a machine, AND a beast.

I have read all three books in that series, I loved it except for the way they portrayed Nikola tesla, he is my favorite inventor, also, I like hg wells as well, my favorite book by him is tied between war of the worlds and empire of the ants
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert

Postby Voin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:22 pm

Maverick wrote:You know what floats my boat?

Buoyancy?
Voin
Officer

Postby Voin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:32 pm

StmpnkWargamerPeng wrote:I got no LDD(may\may not have a virus, so can download it period because big bro would kick my ass), can't really download much photoshop thingz(big bro and little bro downloading like crazy), and got no camera(little bro fix the "we have a camera" problem, by making it carped out).

DAMN YOU BROS :fist:

Try Leo-CAD (it's what I use). It's free, it's got a lot of pre-programmed LEGO pieces, compatible with the LDraw family of (mostly also free) products, and portable (you can run it from a flash drive if you want and keep your setting and files between computers). It lets you edit and move things in 3D, in realtime (handy for digital battle), but there's a bit of a learning curve, so feel free to message me if you find any of the features confusing. Also, the files tend to be pretty small (KBs), so a little HDD or USB drive space goes a long way.

I've been using leocad to make pretty much all my digital MOCs (I find LDD a bit too unwieldy and bloated for my tastes). I "polish up" the renders with LDView to get that smooth, glossy look on them (like you saw on my AA-turret), but it's not really necessary if all you want to do is build and battle within the program.
Voin
Officer

Postby Colette » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:18 pm

I'm surprised nobody has brought up TheBlackDog's excellent Brittannian landships:

Also, a Praetorian dinosaur mecha by dilanski, since I saw that idea mentioned somewhere in this thread:
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna

Postby Voin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Colette wrote:I'm surprised nobody has brought up TheBlackDog's excellent Brittannian landships:

Also, a Praetorian dinosaur mecha by dilanski, since I saw that idea mentioned somewhere in this thread:

:tiger:

Well-built, doesn't look like it took a 4-figure collector's budget to assemble, but rather like something that could be feasibly built from the average big bin of assorted bricks if enough skill and effort was put into it. I am impressed.
Voin
Officer

Postby Kaplan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:10 am

I have a simple question for the experienced players.

The "Land Ship" and other large vehicles like spaceships etc usually have very large weapons

Weapons have use rating according to their size (http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2010/8.htm)

If the weapon size is greater than 6 it is impossible to be controlled by one minifig (even it is a hero or gunner)
I think that a possible solution would be using of multible minifigures to use their skills at the same time for the activation of the weapon.

What if the whole creation is commanded only by single minifig. For example a large mecha with large weapons which may be controlled by only one pilot.
(It is most likely that the weapons of a high tech mecha are energy based or even full automatic so they don't need any crew to be reloaded.)

What is the trick of solving this problem.
Kaplan
Supercharged Tank
Supercharged Tank

Postby Apollyon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 am

There are two things to consider when introducing huge guns:

6. Use multiple gunners and/or targeting computers.

7. Large weapons are for large targets as larger target sizes reduce the use rating.

For small targets like minifigs large weapons only make sense when they have area of effect damage. I found that machine guns size 2-3 are super effective.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby IVhorseman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:37 pm

It's also still very possible for regular minifigs to accidentally roll a bunch of 6's in a row and make the target, however unlikely
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Tzan » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 pm

"Image"

(quote tunnel removed)
Tzan
Pooplord

Postby Nimja » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:32 am

Where did the original post go?
What Mavericks sig is missing: