BrikwaRTS

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Re: BrikwaRTS

Postby The Shadowscythe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm

So you want to play a tbs game, with rts features? You wanna throw in some 4x in there? maybe some Moba or mmrpg? of even some jrpg? with third person shooting action and waist high cover? on airships? with giant fucking testicles hanging from them? on the moon?

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:07 pm

halo 3000 wrote:
stubby wrote:I've played some real-time tabletop games, they're hilarious. I wish I could remember the names. Everybody does all their moves at the same time as fast as they can until somebody needs to resolve an attack and then they yell "Fire!" and everyone has to freeze whatever they're doing and resolve the attack. It's super chaotic and mirrors the confusion of war and C&C limitations because it's really hard to keep track of what the enemy's doing at the same time as trying to move all your troops around.

I would love to see rules of these games

I just played this one a few weeks ago, it was hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQngL_Fhwg
stubby
forum janitor

Postby stubby » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:27 pm

mgb519 wrote:So you're saying it's turn based strategy.
Brikwars is turn based strategy.
So you're saying it's a more confusing and less fun version of brikwars.

No, actually he's correct. BrikWars is a turn-based tactical game, or turn-based skirmish wargaming, depending on your preferred term. There's no strategy component in BrikWars as of yet.

The Shadowscythe wrote:So you want to play a tbs game, with rts features? You wanna throw in some 4x in there? maybe some Moba or mmrpg? of even some jrpg? with third person shooting action and waist high cover? on airships? with giant fucking testicles hanging from them? on the moon?

oh my god somebody make this happen please
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Apollyon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:41 pm

stubby wrote:I just played this one a few weeks ago, it was hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbQngL_Fhwg

This looks amazing. The other game mentioned as well. I will try to get one of those eventually. I never realized such games exist. I really like to play games like Twilight Imperium with some friends of mine while others are only interested in "lesser" boardgames like Settlers of Catan which i find rather boring instead. A real time dice rolling game sounds like the best of both worlds for me. Thanks for the link.
If you're not into Metal you are not my friend!
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Basically, I'm trying to add a system to purchase buildings and turrets, it's not making it boring and complex, it's making more potential destruction, whitch, if any of you had I like to gargle balls. bothered to read the rule book, you would know is the only purpose of this game, chaos and destruction
Last edited by Brikguy0410 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brikguy0410
Official Forum Science and History Expert

Postby mgb519 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Why do I have to wait to get more troops until I have a building? Why can't I just have my hero use a heroic feat to summon an army of undead cyborgs to wreck faces and wreak havoc?
Also, how does forcing my troops to go to a location regardless of the presence of enemy troops promote bloodshed and violence and wanton destruction?
Tzan wrote:
Semaj Nagirrac wrote:Well, I took some land without checking if it was owned by a faction or not. I'm not going to be banned, am I? I can destroy everything if need be.

That's what Hitler said,
in 1938.
mgb519
Pooplord

Postby Brikguy0410 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 pm

mgb519 wrote:Why do I have to wait to get more troops until I have a building? Why can't I just have my hero use a heroic feat to summon an army of undead cyborgs to wreck faces and wreak havoc?
Also, how does forcing my troops to go to a location regardless of the presence of enemy troops promote bloodshed and violence and wanton destruction?

A:that feat would probably require roles that defy belief

B: do to a, both sides would probably want the strategic points,meaning death,
C: :sparta: it doesn't have to make sense :troll:
Brikguy0410

Postby Apollyon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:21 pm

I think the notion of adding RTS game elements to Brikwars is just an excuse to (eventually) have very unbalanced forces and then you zerg rush or crush all opposition and get off on that...
It's been suggested quite often but noone ever did actually pull it off.

Strategic elements could be brought in via campaigns. I wonder how people like Zahru or Bragallot or Stubby handle this? Does the outcome of a battle really have consequences on the following one? how flexible are intended storylines? Are they intended at all?
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby halo 3000 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:35 am

The Idea of a lego RTS style game has always fascinated me. I have also tried to come up with a set of rules that would have the feel of a real time game, but be somewhat orderly like a turn based one.

One Idea that Quantumsurfer and I came up with for shooting was the "reaction" test. The idea is that a small group of tanks from team one could wait behind a mountain or building or something and ambush a larger group of tanks. the player would declare "these tanks are readying for an ambush" or something. The ambushing tanks would then gain +2 on the "reaction" test roll. on the larger forces turn, they could either continue their path and engage the tanks, hoping their superior numbers would overcome the smaller force, or halt their advance.

So in this game, shooting wouldn't be my turn I shoot you, your turn you shoot me, both groups would face off that same turn. The Reaction roll would determine who's tanks get to shoot first. both players would roll a d6 and the player with the highest roll would shoot first and if the roll is tied, both forces shoot at the same time. so ambushing tanks could add +2 to the roll.

Infantry would play a big part in the game too, as they would be the only way to capture objectives and resources. we decided that a 5-10 man squad would be represented be a stud.

The scale of the game would be to this:

The standard tank would be a 1x2 stud plate.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza
halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

Postby Brikguy0410 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:01 pm

halo 3000 wrote:The Idea of a lego RTS style game has always fascinated me. I have also tried to come up with a set of rules that would have the feel of a real time game, but be somewhat orderly like a turn based one.

One Idea that Quantumsurfer and I came up with for shooting was the "reaction" test. The idea is that a small group of tanks from team one could wait behind a mountain or building or something and ambush a larger group of tanks. the player would declare "these tanks are readying for an ambush" or something. The ambushing tanks would then gain +2 on the "reaction" test roll. on the larger forces turn, they could either continue their path and engage the tanks, hoping their superior numbers would overcome the smaller force, or halt their advance.

So in this game, shooting wouldn't be my turn I shoot you, your turn you shoot me, both groups would face off that same turn. The Reaction roll would determine who's tanks get to shoot first. both players would roll a d6 and the player with the highest roll would shoot first and if the roll is tied, both forces shoot at the same time. so ambushing tanks could add +2 to the roll.

Infantry would play a big part in the game too, as they would be the only way to capture objectives and resources. we decided that a 5-10 man squad would be represented be a stud.

The scale of the game would be to this:

The standard tank would be a 1x2 stud plate.

:overwatch:
Brikguy0410

Postby Brikguy0410 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Apollyon wrote:I think the notion of adding RTS game elements to Brikwars is just an excuse to (eventually) have very unbalanced forces and then you zerg rush or crush all opposition and get off on that...

Strategic elements could be brought in via campaigns. I wonder how people like Zahru or Bragallot or Stubby handle this? Does the outcome of a battle really have consequences on the following one? how flexible are intended storylines? Are they intended at all?

:son: wrong
Brikguy0410

Postby Gungnir » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Brikguy0410 wrote:wrong

You're well-written and eloquent argument has convinced me. Truly you are the greatest wordsmith.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
Gungnir
Dimmy

Postby stubby » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Apollyon wrote:I think the notion of adding RTS game elements to Brikwars is just an excuse to (eventually) have very unbalanced forces and then you zerg rush or crush all opposition and get off on that...

Pretty much. In theory, you could focus on using the elements to adjust force composition over time, and the game would be more about adapting your capabilities in response to a changing situation on the field... but let's be serious. Strategic play is always about the zerg rush one way or another.

What's really been lacking so far is some mechanic to make a wildly unbalanced game still fun. I've been thinking about this off and on for a couple of years but haven't had any genius ideas yet. But if we could manage it somehow then it would open up a lot more play style opportunities.

Maybe I'll put the question to everybody: imagine you can have any type of battle you want, the only restriction is that one side has three times the military strength of the other. How do you make it fun?
stubby
forum janitor

Postby Apollyon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Only the weaker side gets heros. Stronger side suffers from Stormtrooper Incompetence. Maybe coupled with some sort of objective, e.g. the nominally weaker hero side has to retrieve some object from the strong side.
Apollyon
My Little Pony

Postby halo 3000 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:47 pm

stubby wrote:imagine you can have any type of battle you want, the only restriction is that one side has three times the military strength of the other. How do you make it fun?

Guerrilla warfare style hit and run tactics. Maybe the smaller player can draw up the battlefield on a piece of paper, mark where his units are and have them open fire on the enemy when they get near. The smaller force would keep his stuff off the table until he decided to shoot, That way the larger force has no idea where they are.
"My name is Art Vandelay. I'm an architect."~George Costanza
halo 3000
I though bringing it up might possibly get me one

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material