New CP idea

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Thu May 12, 2016 10:57 am

Unit Inches are basically ready to go, but there were a lot of people irrationally resisting them and clinging to busted-ass old CP. I've been slowly eliminating those people over time.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby WestNordOst » Thu May 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Uh oh, another big todo for the statcard generator. :fist:

On the upside, I will probably be able to throw out a lot of stuff then, like multidexterity, armored, extra minds
perhaps even energy shield and supernatural.
User avatar
WestNordOst
Officer
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm
Location: Germany

Re: New CP idea

Postby Red_SPAMbot » Tue May 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I kinda see the Inches Economy as a reflection of "hatism" in a way.  A minifig is a minifig and it's job is determined by its hat.  This feels a little bit like a nod to that concept.
Quantumsurfer wrote:I tried other places but it was always much the same. Bunch of elitist pricks pompously waving their shittily painted thousand dollar armies in one another's faces whilst trying to intellectually one up one another by creating oh-so-clever army asses in the most boring, rules lawyering, and socially backward sessions of mathhammer ever devised.
User avatar
Red_SPAMbot
Nice Dubs
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 am
Location: In your Junk Folder

Re: New CP idea

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 am

I was against the unit inches in the beginning but after all this time I realised that I never really balance out armies that precisely anyway. Usually I just look at both armies and see if they seem fair and if they don't I add a couple of units or remove some. So the Ü system does deem like a wonderfully simple and effective balancing system.
But I would still like to see some kind of courtesy rule where the player with less powerful weaponry/equipement/specialties gets to decide who starts first or maybe gets to chose his starting location.
Because with the Ü's it is still possible for one army to have 10 soldiers with heavy weapons and shields and the other army to have 10 soldiers with just a single hand weapon each.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
User avatar
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Procrasturbating.

Re: New CP idea

Postby TastySkippy123 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 am

runnybabbit223 wrote:We hit on an idea like this way back in 2009, we found that the system was too easy to expliot. So going against brikwars lore, we went from AV to HP and created a whole new system around that.  :twisted:

It worked surprisingly well as we made a base HP for different units (2HP being trooper class and 4HP a hero.) The points of units (UP) worked by the standard: 1 UP
for every 1 HP, this incudes vehicles. weapons are anywhere between 1 and 6 UPs
depending on the UR, damage, and range. Any upgrades, skill and the like are all 1
extra UP.

Anyway our system works really well with on-the-spot-battles and vehicles (weapons on vehicles cost between 2 and 20 UP.) I encorage you to try something like this as we have never gone back to CP.


No one even listened to you runnbabbit,  :cry:. They don't know what they are missing out on...
User avatar
TastySkippy123
is a spineless dice
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 9:21 pm
Location: Aussie Outback in some tin shack filled with Lego.

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 am

Red_SPAMbot wrote:I kinda see the Inches Economy as a reflection of "hatism" in a way.  A minifig is a minifig and it's job is determined by its hat.  This feels a little bit like a nod to that concept.

Kind of! Although I think hatism could really take off if we could think of a better name for it.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Steel_Valkyrie » Wed May 25, 2016 9:13 am

Nazism.
Image
User avatar
Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Red_SPAMbot » Wed May 25, 2016 9:26 am

CAPitalism

And Customization Points become Custom Augmentation Points...so you have Unit Inches which buys you figs and then your collection of CAPs
Quantumsurfer wrote:I tried other places but it was always much the same. Bunch of elitist pricks pompously waving their shittily painted thousand dollar armies in one another's faces whilst trying to intellectually one up one another by creating oh-so-clever army asses in the most boring, rules lawyering, and socially backward sessions of mathhammer ever devised.
User avatar
Red_SPAMbot
Nice Dubs
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:02 am
Location: In your Junk Folder

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Wed May 25, 2016 10:27 am

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:I was against the unit inches in the beginning but after all this time I realised that I never really balance out armies that precisely anyway. Usually I just look at both armies and see if they seem fair and if they don't I add a couple of units or remove some. So the Ü system does deem like a wonderfully simple and effective balancing system.

That was my evolution of thinking also. CP is much more precise and vaguely "balanced," but if no one ever uses it then why bother? The game isn't designed for precise or balanced play, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to put so much focus on a precise and balanced budgeting system, except for the sake of parody.

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:But I would still like to see some kind of courtesy rule where the player with less powerful weaponry/equipment/specialties gets to decide who starts first or maybe gets to chose his starting location.
Because with the Ü's it is still possible for one army to have 10 soldiers with heavy weapons and shields and the other army to have 10 soldiers with just a single hand weapon each.

Possible, but even then I'm not super worried. Heavy weapons have their own drawbacks. The army with more weapons has more tactical options but not necessarily the ability to project a lot more power per turn.

One thing I do like, from Mobile Frame Zero, is the rule where the guy with less stuff gets an initiative bonus. BrikWars doesn't have a lot of situations where head-to-head initiative fits in, but I'd be looking first towards something like that - a bonus to Counter rolls or Who Acts First in a Response Action  or something.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby stubby » Wed May 25, 2016 10:36 am

Red_SPAMbot wrote:CAPitalism

And Customization Points become Custom Augmentation Points...so you have Unit Inches which buys you figs and then your collection of CAPs

Ha ha, we have a winner :guinness:  :tiger:

I can totally work with this. Under CAPITALISM, your JOB determines your identity, and your HAT determines your JOB. The worst fate isn't death, it's deCAPitation - where they take your HAT. Anti-CAPITALIST forces seek to free minifigs from this abusive deminifigizing system, but are viewed as terrorists by the minifigs still depending on their position in the HATRIX for their identity and self-worth.

Just like in fallout, the unit of currency (that is to say, the capital) in CAPITALISM is the CAP. The greatest defender of CAPITALISM is CAPITAL A (Captain America in a baseball cap). The priests of CAPITALISM are the CAPLAINs. The capital city is CITY. The capital building is BUILDING.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
User avatar
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook
 
Posts: 5070
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: New CP idea

Postby Castlebravo » Wed May 25, 2016 2:44 pm

Image
I like the idea of a capitalist brikwars economy.
User avatar
Castlebravo
Champion
Champion
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:43 am

Re: New CP idea

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri May 27, 2016 6:17 am

Man this is already looking great. The hat based society fluff already was one of my favorite parts of the rulebook.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
User avatar
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Procrasturbating.

Re: New CP idea

Postby Darthnox129 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:33 pm

First of all,  :necro:

Second, as a wargamer, I can say that this thread is full of HERESY

But third, I really like Unit Inches, (even though I have been giving Games Workshop my money for too long to love anything but points) and I like the idea of being able to just put out random models on the table without having to go to the extremes of either calculating the cost of random troops you may never field again or not balancing the forces with anything except your arbitrary judgement, whenever one of my friends who isn't a regular plays a game with me, we are annoyed by how they have to cost every unit in an army they just threw together.
Studs for the stud god, bricks for the brick throne.

Yeah, I play Tau in 40k. What? Of course I have friends, why would you think I didn't?

Image
User avatar
Darthnox129
Officer
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Killing heretics in the Eye of Terror

Previous

Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest