Navel combat

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Navel combat

Postby Brikguy0410 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm not talking about space battles, I'm referring to a good old battle on the high seas, brikwars is lacking rules for navel combat and ships, I'm trying to think up some rules for things like boarding and what not, as well as things like ships rolling over and sinking, ideas?
User avatar
Brikguy0410
Official SEXY Forum Science and History Expert
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: In a pineapple under the sea

Re: Navel combat

Postby Tzan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

My army is ready.


Image
User avatar
Tzan
Pooplord
 
Posts: 4865
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Navel combat

Postby Silverdream » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't know if this will work well, my belly button cannot fit much Lego.

Edit: Fucking Tzan beat me to it.
Image

Spoiler: show
mgb519 wrote:Seriously, you are now the first ever forum superhero.


Colette wrote:I hereby acknowledge Silverdream as the one and only forum troll as agreed in the bet.


Quantumsurfer wrote:No, I have 2 silver.
User avatar
Silverdream
Blockguy
 
Posts: 7429
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: In a giant pile of potatoes and red meat.

Re: Navel combat

Postby DeltaV » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:51 pm

It should work like microspace. Just add microwater.
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.
User avatar
DeltaV
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 9:15 am

Re: Navel combat

Postby IVhorseman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:59 pm

There totally are rules for naval combat. I'll break em down:

First of all, the thrust mechanic is a really cool way to determine wind direction for sailing ships, or current direction if you decide one exists. See the rulebook for details.

Second, Boarding is as easy as just parking next to another ship and laying down a gangplank. Swinging over Errol-Flynn style with a grappling hook is pretty much just a ranged attack vs. a mast or something. See the rulebook for details.

Third, rolling ships over is actually covered under the charge rules. If a ship is forcibly moved sideways (from ramming, a strong current, etc.) further than it is wide (or frontways than it is long), then it's disrupted and tilts to it's side. if knocked twice this distance, then it capsizes entirely. See the rulebook for details.

As for actual sinking, that's about all that's not covered. I would say it's safe to assume take a number of turns to sink equal to their size in inches, or you could say that half of the remaining ship goes under in any given turn. A ship tilted on it's side would have minifigs risk being thrown overboard without necessarily sinking, but a capsized ship would sink assuredly. Knocking a hole in the hull with component damage would also initiate sinking.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Navel combat

Postby The Shadowscythe » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Tzan wrote:My army is ready.

Image


Silverdream wrote:I don't know if this will work well, my belly button cannot fit much Lego.

Edit: Fucking Tzan beat me to it.


DeltaV wrote:It should work like microspace. Just add microwater.


All of my reactions, all perfectly posted before I got here. I love you guys.
Image

-- WARNINK -- LINK BELOW IZ KNOWN TO CAUZE HEMMORAGE --
Spoiler: show
Image

I WARNED YOU, DIDN'T I WARN YOU?! BLAME RAYHAWK DAMNIT.
User avatar
The Shadowscythe
The Brikwars Trickster God.
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:22 am
Location: Lampeter, Wales

Re: Navel combat

Postby Colette » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:01 pm

Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.
Image
Image
Because everything's better with math...and firepower.
User avatar
Colette
I for one personally welcome clown face bologna
 
Posts: 2518
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: This Forum

Re: Navel combat

Postby Maverick » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 am

Colette wrote:Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.

Exactly. Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything. Stmpnk also had the wargamer problem. He wanted rules for everything. And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk. And i'm pretty sure you won't use naval with your insanely huge army.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
User avatar
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Re: Navel combat

Postby DeltaV » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 am

Maverick wrote:
Colette wrote:Just check out Scratch's ongoing forum battle You Can't Escape the Miles, Brikwars is applicable to naval combat as well.

Exactly. Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything. Stmpnk also had the wargamer problem. He wanted rules for everything. And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk. And i'm pretty sure you won't use naval with your insanely huge army.

This, pretty much. If you need to board, maneuver your ship in range and slap a plank between the two. Don't bother with residual thrust speed and inertia, as it is generally accepted that if Physics and Awesome are two possible outcomes of an action, Physics can go and get bent. If you want to flip the boat over, then do so after the boat has taken an amount of damage that makes it seem likely it would turn over. If you want the boat to sink, then take the boat away, put the mast down, and make silly bubbling noises.

The only mandatory rule for naval battles, in my opinion, would have to be that all metal music normally played during Brikwars is replaced with pirate metal.
Brickwars: the only tabletop wargame that allows the units to have sexual intercourse with each other, produce offspring, and then use said offspring as Size 1 Explosives.
User avatar
DeltaV
Officer
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 9:15 am

Re: Navel combat

Postby IVhorseman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 am

Maverick wrote:And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk.


I like this! I've used Anorak to describe the same thing, but this is still pretty different from anoraking, and stmpnk fits so much better thematically.
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6338
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Re: Navel combat

Postby Maverick » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

IVhorseman wrote:
Maverick wrote:And with this post i officialize use of the word stmpnk to describe a person who want rules for everything. This topic is stmpnk.


I like this! I've used Anorak to describe the same thing, but this is still pretty different from anoraking, and stmpnk fits so much better thematically.

Thanks! If we'll keep on saying it, it might get into a rulebook. Just like anorak.
Think I'm stupid? Well then check out this:
Spoiler: show
Overwatch_Elite wrote:well THEN STOP HAVING SUCH AN ENLIGHTENED BRAIN geeze this place isn't for smart people such as yourself

Silvawards wrote:Most intelligent
Nominees
-Colette
-Maverick
-Samuelzz10
Winner: Maverick
User avatar
Maverick
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
Wanted something that rhymes with "Mandalore" but I think "pandawhore shitsnorkeler" Does the job. And then some more.
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Denmark, the land where the mighty bricks were first forged.

Re: Navel combat

Postby Gungnir » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:43 pm

It's just like regular combat, but with boats.
Give a minifig an inch, and he'll murder for a mile.
User avatar
Gungnir
Dimmy
 
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 am

Re: Navel combat

Postby stubby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:40 pm

Maverick wrote:Brikwars is so flexible, you can use the rules to almost everything.

BrikWars already had the version with rules for almost everything. http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2001/2001-brikwars.pdf

DeltaV wrote:This, pretty much. If you need to board, maneuver your ship in range and slap a plank between the two. Don't bother with residual thrust speed and inertia, as it is generally accepted that if Physics and Awesome are two possible outcomes of an action, Physics can go and get bent. If you want to flip the boat over, then do so after the boat has taken an amount of damage that makes it seem likely it would turn over. If you want the boat to sink, then take the boat away, put the mast down, and make silly bubbling noises.

Different people have different ideas of what is awesome, so it's nice that you can adjust this on the fly. Personally, I think slapping a plank between the two ships and only finding out a turn later that the ships are going to smash into each other and squish anyone in between is pretty awesome by itself.

DeltaV wrote:The only mandatory rule for naval battles, in my opinion, would have to be that all metal music normally played during Brikwars is replaced with pirate metal.

I think we can all agree on this (and keelhaul anyone who doesn't).
User avatar
stubby
forum janitor
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:31 pm

Re: Navel combat

Postby loafofcheese » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:26 pm

Ahoy mateys, let us contemplate our navels.
DeltaV wrote:Caw caw motherfucker.
User avatar
loafofcheese
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:44 am
Location: Maitland, NSW


Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests