Phalanx

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Phalanx

Postby Coriolanus » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 pm

I've been thinking about how to reflect Greek/Macedonian style phalanxes in the rules, specifically, how to allow them to use 2" or 3" spears and heavy shields at the same time, and I came up with something workable.

Phalanx ability: Cost 2cp, Description: similar to Compensating, with 2 differences: 1-units using the phalanx ability can still move 4", 2-units using the phalanx ability can only conduct actions, including CC response actions, in the 45 degree cone directly in front of them.

In my limited testing this has seemed both realistic and relatively balanced. Units with phalanx naturally form into ranks for protection and are almost impervious from the front, but vulnerable to attacks from the flanks and rear and thus require lighter troops to cover the flanks. My only thought is maybe it should be 3cp instead of 2.

Thoughts?
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
Coriolanus
Hero

Re: Phalanx

Postby Battlegrinder » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Coriolanus wrote:I've been thinking about how to reflect Greek/Macedonian style phalanxes in the rules, specifically, how to allow them to use 2" or 3" spears and heavy shields at the same time, and I came up with something workable.

Phalanx ability: Cost 2cp, Description: similar to Compensating, with 2 differences: 1-units using the phalanx ability can still move 4", 2-units using the phalanx ability can only conduct actions, including CC response actions, in the 45 degree cone directly in front of them.

In my limited testing this has seemed both realistic and relatively balanced. Units with phalanx naturally form into ranks for protection and are almost impervious from the front, but vulnerable to attacks from the flanks and rear and thus require lighter troops to cover the flanks. My only thought is maybe it should be 3cp instead of 2.

Thoughts?

I think you can probably get pretty close to a usable brikwars phalanx by just using interlocking heavy shields, the long spears really aren't needed, and given the greater use rating, are largely counter-productive for minifig scale conflicts. The exception would be for dealing with cavalry, but in that case you'd want ranged units or a pike block, not a phalanx (which were largely an anti-infantry unit, as the Greeks did not use cavalry all that much).

Since the use of such oversized weapons is of dubious practical use, this ability doesn't seem all that useful, as units loss a lot of their mobility and combat skill, in trade for the ability to use weapons they can't hit anything with. If you want to use phalanxes like formations, I'd suggest moving toward a roman or Byzantine style shield wall, as those weapons and tactics are more in line with how brikwars battles are fought. You could keep the current downsides of this rule in place, but I'd suggest using an armor or parry bonus as the upside, rather than the use of longer weapons.

"There's suspension of disbelief and then there's insulting my fucking intelligence"
Noah Antwiler
Battlegrinder
Jaw-Jaw

Postby stubby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:38 am

These are planned to fall under "Heavy Infantry" once I get around to writing chapter 11; they'll have Specialty: Shield Wall. As long as they're in a Squad and facing the same direction, they automatically get Shielded without having to Parry first, for attacks coming from that direction.
stubby
Psy.D Manchild Psychology, U. of Wikipedia

Postby Coriolanus » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Hmm, okay. I had seen numerous references to "shield walls" but never the actual stat. I will see how it works using that.
"For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:35-36
Coriolanus
Hero

Postby Vami IV » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 pm

Phalanx:
For every fig in the Phalanx, +1 to armour.
For three figs in the Phalanx, -2 Movement.

Shield Wall:
Feat, Unit stands still for a turn, and can block any oncoming projectiles if Reactions meet or exceed the attacking unit's roll.

Spear / Pike / Polearm / Yari Wall:
Feat, Unit stands still for a turn, but offensively. This feat can be used to fend off any and all attacking minifigs, dragons, Orks, angry, failing Great Eagles that were spawned from a failure.
If an enemy unit attacks the Spear Wall, roll a counter / Reaction for the group as a whole.

If the roll is a success, the attacking unit must pass a Armor roll to survive.

If failed, roll damage / Armor on the unit that the Attacker assaulted.

Bend to your will as you please.
Last edited by Vami IV on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
Tzan wrote:
Vami_IV wrote:Rules:
You must use only medieval pieces.

The Lego briks must have been manufactured between the 5th to the 15th century.

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:26 pm

So basically what you're suggesting is a fancy feat that allows minifigs to counterattack? cause that's totally already a thing, it's called counterattacking.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Vami IV » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm

It's a basic framework, you cock bite.
Last edited by Vami IV on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tzan wrote:

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Yeah but you're just re-packaging an existing rule and calling it something else. This is exactly how errata and homebrew rules end up making a game more complicated than it is fun.

The phalanx and shield walls, for example, are a new feature. The spear wall bit, however, basically says "these guys get to counterattack using the same counterattack rules as everybody else," but in more words.
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Vami IV » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Vami IV wrote:Bend to your will as you please.
Tzan wrote:

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Rev. Sylvanus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Vami IV wrote:It's a basic framework, you cock bite.

One of my favorite parts of the Bonus Material forum is collaboration and critique. Rather than get defensive when input is offered, one might try using the opportunity to modify or improve said homebrew...

That said, I would suggest like IVhorseman that provisions in the rulebook already allow a true phalanx in brikwars to function effectively. Even without the next chapter up yet, a group of infantry with compensating can hold 3" or 4" polearms (3" still with a shield), and still get the first attack on anyone that would come at them. You might not even lose some of those attacks while moving (in the first rank at least) if the row behind them does a 2" shove to move forward. Actually...now I want to make a unit with long-ass weapons so I can give it a try.
For Your Reading Pleasure: Rev's Battle Reports

Reference Sheets: Animals and Mounts / Medieval Weapons

Factions: Dragon Guard / Hiimboredagain Raiders
Rev. Sylvanus
Galidor

Postby Vami IV » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Have at.
Tzan wrote:

Vami IV
My Little Pony

Postby Zupponn » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:14 pm

Vami IV wrote:Have at.

And the award for most uselss post ever goes to...
Zupponn
Lovable and funny
Lovable and funny

Postby Coriolanus » Sun May 04, 2014 12:38 pm

Rev. Sylvanus wrote:
Even without the next chapter up yet, a group of infantry with compensating can hold 3" or 4" polearms (3" still with a shield), and still get the first attack on anyone that would come at them. You might not even lose some of those attacks while moving (in the first rank at least) if the row behind them does a 2" shove to move forward. Actually...now I want to make a unit with long-ass weapons so I can give it a try.

For some reason I thought that shoves disrupted, but I re-checked the rules and see that they do not. Now I just need to wait until BrickWarriors molds their hoplite parts in bronze.
Coriolanus
Hero

Return to Bonus Material