Stats and a Rocket Launcher for the TF2 Soldier

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Stats and a Rocket Launcher for the TF2 Soldier

Post by AZKAMAT » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:09 pm

So Valve's TF2 is one of my favorite games to play, and this year I'm planning on making an homage to my second favorite class; the Soldier! (Spy is my #1).

I'm going to make the figures using elements from these two customs; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwHRq7zgKXw and also http://www.saber-scorpion.com/shop/deca ... emercs.php

I'm going to use the weapons from the Youtube Link (I already had the parts for 5 of them) and I'm planning on getting the decals from the saber-bug store, with the body parts from Bricklink.

What I'm now trying to think up is what stats and specials he should get. I want to faithfully represent him; i.e. mild tankiness, slow speed, and the ability to make insane jumps by shooting his missile launcher at his feet.

Current Stats: Skill: 1D6. Armor: 1D8. Movement: 5".
Special (This is where it gets tricky): Must come equipped with a MANPAT (MANPAT is the name of my house-rule rocket launcher, and means Man-Portable-Anti-Tank) (-4 CP, half the cost of an 8 CP MANPAT).
Must come equipped with a basic bastard shotgun (-2 CP).
Comes with a bonus size 1 explosive projectile loaded into his MANPAT (normally they get only 3) (+2 CP).
Can expend a rocket to rocket jump 5" into the air, then use whatever movement he has remaining to position his landing (if none, he just goes straight back down). After rocket jumping, the Soldier has his armor reduced to 1D6 until the beginning of his next turn.
Can fire a MANPAT while on the move (with the house rules I have, a MANPAT can only be fired while stationary, so this is pretty significant) (+2 CP)

Oh, and because of a house rule, his movement is effectively reduced to 4" because if he carries both the shotgun and the MANPAT (which he should, for sportsmanship), he will suffer a -1" move penalty.

His 1D8 armor rating is screwing with my math for his total CP cost. Any suggestions? I'd owe you one.

To prevent confusion, here's the stats for my MANPAT's.
Use: 3
Range: 10"
Damage: 1D10 explosion
Special: Is assumed to come loaded with 3 shots. Can only be fired while user is standing still
CP: 8.

EDIT: Okay so I was like, "I really dig this idea I have and I want to execute it NOW!" So I took a whole bunch of the minifigs I have now and mix-matched them until I got 6 guys who roughly look like they could blow somebody to pieces and then yell "YOU SISSIFIED MAGGOT SCUM!!1!!" Gave them each a helmet, rocket launcher and a shotgun. I even took notice of a Mace Windu and thought, "...Demoman," so I made one, with the black hat, rotary grenade launcher and everything. Yay for saving $$$!
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Kant b'leev uh wun! Image

Poor Raisins
Champion
Champion

Re: Stats and a Rocket Launcher for the TF2 Soldier

Post by Poor Raisins » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Since the Soldier has a health of 200 compared to the 125 of the Scout/Engineer/Sniper/Spy, and a movement of 80%, you could just apply those ratios to the standard minifig's armor of 4 and 5" movement, which would give you an armor of 6 and a movement of 4", and allow him to ignore the penalty for carrying two weps. For the maths, you could treat his armor as if it were a structure level of one since a d10 has an average value of 5.5, and then the cost for structure and movement would be 1cp for the structure and 2cp for the movement, which is equal to the standard minifig's 0.5 for the structure and 2.5 for movement.

His armor can go down to 4 when he rocket jumps, so he's like a normal fig most of the time, assuming he wants to move around.

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:36 pm

I guess that would be okay, if I actually did my standard minifigs' armor values that way (fixed at 4). Except that I've never really been into that method; the 2005 rules I learned this game from were ambiguous about whether or not you abstracted it or used a 1D6, so I always used a 1D6 because it sounded more interesting.

But that's off topic; if I was going to use the abstracted armor like I assume you do, your idea's pretty good.

I think I need to stipulate in the supplement that I want him to be able to attack on the same turn that he rocket jumps. Why? Because imagine if he rocket jumps onto a wall next to a bunch of baddies, then next turn they could just focus fire on him. It's much cooler and awesome for him to pop up from behind an obstacle, and deal a shit ton of damage before the enemy can take advantage of his weakened state (basically like in the PC game). Here's the flip side of this; assuming he does this jump/shoot combo with his rocket launcher, he can only do it twice per game with the MANPAT that he starts out with, because it's only loaded with 4 shots.
Check out mah BOL's of STIL! http://brikwars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16612

Poor Raisins
Champion
Champion

Post by Poor Raisins » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:26 pm

If you want it to somewhat resemble TF2, isn't the 10" range and 3 use a bit overpowered? In the game, the rocket moves slow enough that you can move out of the way of the rocket at that range; he's actually pretty useless at long range if he's by himself and they have room to move.

Also, what if his rocket jumping was more like an action, in that he had to make a roll for it, so he could try to get lucky and reach higher heights, but then he's subject to fall damage if he goes too high and misses?

Also, maybe he could get two actions as long as they're not both attacks, so he can rocket jump in the air and then jump again off a wall, but then his armor is only 2 / 1d6-2 until his next turn.

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:51 pm

It's kind of supposed to be really strong, because one of the unique features of this Brikwars incarnation of Soldier that I've thought up is that he's the only homebrew modification of the minifigure that can fire a rocket launcher on the move.

I figured that 5" straight up would be enough to do fall damage. I thought I remembered something about it in the 2005 rules, and I've been looking through the 2010 rules and I can't find anything about them. As for your idea on adding a random chance component to his jump height, I though about that, but I'm worried about adding too much complexity and die rolling.

To say that he gets 2 actions per turn with only 1 being able to be an attack would open the door for some abuse (for instance letting him act like a pilot). I prefer to just say something like, "the first rocket jump Soldier would make on his turn does not consume his action for that turn."

Also thanks for the idea about jumping off a wall. I've seen people do that in game now that you mention it, and I can't believe I didn't think of it for this. Thanks!

Nimja
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN
BAHsLHASDSKJFWHEIJUSN

Post by Nimja » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:36 am

Any fig can fire a rocket launcher on the move.
What Mavericks sig is missing:
Silvawards 2013 wrote: Best Noob
Nominees
-Nimja
-Maverick
Winner: Maverick

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Nimja wrote:Any fig can fire a rocket launcher on the move.
Except it's not a standard RL it's a special house rules weapon I created before I read over the 2010 rules. It's pre-loaded and has 2" more range than the 2010 Bazooka weapon.

I tailored this thing to go into the "culture" I created around the brikverse that my usual opponent and I play in. I doubt anybody creates house rules troops and vehicles without some consideration of the other house rules they've gotten used to using (such as if somebody wants to implement a target spotting mechanic).

AZKAMAT
Minifig

Post by AZKAMAT » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Poor Raisins wrote:If you want it to somewhat resemble TF2, isn't the 10" range and 3 use a bit overpowered? In the game, the rocket moves slow enough that you can move out of the way of the rocket at that range; he's actually pretty useless at long range if he's by himself and they have room to move.
I forgot to address this, and I should have: I always though anybody could just use a bailing response action when they're getting attacked by rockets and payloads?