"Off-Map" General Powers

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Re: "Off-Map" General Powers

Postby Phred » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:50 pm

There could simply be crate with die in it.  You roll to see what's in the crate.  A vehicle, hero, or a bomb.
Pirates don't hunt for treasure. They bury it- I mean we bury it. - Captain Kirk
Phred
Nice Dubs

Postby Battlegrinder » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:36 am

Voin wrote:
Phred wrote:There could simply be crate with die in it.  You roll to see what's in the crate.  A vehicle, hero, or a bomb.

I looked in the box, and it had jack in it.

I looked in the box, and it had gwyneth paltrow's head in it.
Battlegrinder
Dimmy

Postby ikensall » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 am

Spoiler: show

Patrick Stewart beats Gwyneth Paltrow any day for a good death. It's from Macbeth, don't worry, they didn't kill Patrick Stewart.
Although I'm not sure how you'd incorporate a "dead guy's head in a box" discovery into actual gameplay. Perhaps you sacrifice it to Cthulu for profit?
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Postby lawmaster » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:10 pm

This whole thing inspired me to make some "General's orders" cards.  I'm working on more, I think this could be a fun house rule.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*
lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Postby ikensall » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 am

There needs to be a certain degree of inacuracy with things like missile strikes, I'd suggest using "stuble" di(c)e, although I'm not sure exactly how you would make it work. Perhaps the reinforcements could get lost on their way, and end up at a different faction's starting place instead of simply being "inaccurate".
ikensall
Princess Cauliflower

Postby lawmaster » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:17 pm

ikensall wrote:There needs to be a certain degree of inacuracy with things like missile strikes, I'd suggest using "stuble" di(c)e, although I'm not sure exactly how you would make it work. Perhaps the reinforcements could get lost on their way, and end up at a different faction's starting place instead of simply being "inaccurate".

Stumble dice wouldn't really work considering how large the explosion would be and being behind enemy lines can help out at times.  However I was thinking of making it like a heroic feat where you roll off and it can either go one way or another; eg. Player one calls in a missile strike to destroy a mcdonalds and rolls a 3. Player two says it hits the local playground instead and rolls a 5. Of course both of these seem awesome so the players agree two missiles are launched and mcdonalds and the playground are turned into wastelands.
You are faced with door what do you do
I use my flamethrower
wait what you can't do that
Sure I can see
*door catches fire*
lawmaster
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Legofighter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:38 pm

As for the inaccuracy factor, why not say that the explosion lands within X inches of the intended target, where X is the size of the explosion/weapon.
I also suggest adding airstrikes and dividing the reinforcement card into three categories:
-Minifigs
-Vehicles
-Aerial vehicles

Also, add a leveling system so you can make those cards more powerful over the course of a campaign (as your general becomes more and more awesome).
EDIT: Specify what you mean by electronics. Does that include all vehicles that would realistically have electronics in them? If yes, then that power would be somehow overpowered, as 3 turns would be a bit too long...
From the frigid cold of Canada, -40 year long.
Legofighter
Officer

Postby Phred » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:17 pm

ikensall wrote:There needs to be a certain degree of inacuracy with things like missile strikes, I'd suggest using "stuble" di(c)e, although I'm not sure exactly how you would make it work. Perhaps the reinforcements could get lost on their way, and end up at a different faction's starting place instead of simply being "inaccurate".

Well, there shouldn't be a lot of accuracy when reinforcements are parachuted in.  They should be scattered.  The Shockwave MOD of Generals have inaccurate para-drops of Bradly's and Infantry for the Armor General.
Pirates don't hunt for treasure. They bury it- I mean we bury it. - Captain Kirk
Phred
Nice Dubs

Postby runnybabbit223 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:12 am

Here's an idea for "off board" attacks.

Any player can buy rockets of a certan explsive type, for a certan amout of cp (or inches or whatever system you're using.) Players can, at any time on their turn, call in the missile/s on an enemy unit in a scout's LOS, the missile stays in the higher altitude usally reserved fo aircraft, for one turn before hitting. (I can't remember exactally what that altitude was.) A 1d8 determends the result.

1 = Scout accedently put in co-ordenents on his own position and blows himself up.
2-3 = Missile misses and hits a landsape target. (Target desied by owner of missile.)
4-7 = A hit on target.
8 = HQ decides to send in two missiles, second one automaticly hits. (choice of owner of missile.)
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223
worth a try if your desprate

Postby Maddox » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 am

runnybabbit223 wrote:1 = Scout accedently put in co-ordenents on his own position and blows himself up.
2-3 = Missile misses and hits a landsape target. (Target desied by owner of missile.)
4-7 = A hit on target.
8 = HQ decides to send in two missiles, second one automaticly hits. (choice of owner of missile.)

So basically it's a large rocket with Half-Mind (Programmed)?

Large Rocket stats are:

Cost: (XSize) x 2 CP
Use: (XSize) x 2
Range: (XSize) x6"
Damage: (XSize)d10 Exp

Build a rocket and give it mind, like a targetting computer. With pretty large Use Rating you'd need either very high Skill or very large target for larger missiles, so there'd be enough scatter and missed shots, too.
Maddox
Hero

Postby stubby » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:45 am

I always treated off-map powers as just being ridiculously inaccurate, either with a quadruple MissedBy number in early versions of BrikWars or a very high Use rating in later ones.

The other thing you can do is just drop or throw a projectile from sixty-nine feet above or away from the table and see where it hits.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?
stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Postby runnybabbit223 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:54 am

Maddox wrote:
runnybabbit223 wrote:1 = Scout accedently put in co-ordenents on his own position and blows himself up.
4-7 = A hit on target.

So basically it's a large rocket with Half-Mind (Programmed)?

Large Rocket stats are:

Cost: (XSize) x 2 CP
Use: (XSize) x 2
Range: (XSize) x6"
Damage: (XSize)d10 Exp

Build a rocket and give it mind, like a targetting computer. With pretty large Use Rating you'd need either very high Skill or very large target for larger missiles, so there'd be enough scatter and missed shots, too.

Yeah, something like that, a UR of 4-7 on a 1d8 is probably a bit much though, maybe 5-8?

Using a scouts skill doesn't make much sense to me, how can a on-ground unit effect the accuratcy of something sent from 5 miles away?
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223

Postby Maddox » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:30 am

runnybabbit223 wrote:Using a scouts skill doesn't make much sense to me, how can a on-ground unit effect the accuratcy of something sent from 5 miles away?

But that's exactly how dudes 5 miles away know what they are supposed to shoot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_observer

Scouts with binoculars, drones with cameras, satellites - those things are kind of "scouts" for artillery (or missiles). The guys 5 miles away simply cannot know what they're shooting, someone has to see the target and tell it to the artillery crew.
Maddox
Hero

Postby runnybabbit223 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Maddox wrote:
runnybabbit223 wrote:Using a scouts skill doesn't make much sense to me, how can a on-ground unit effect the accuratcy of something sent from 5 miles away?

But that's exactly how dudes 5 miles away know what they are supposed to shoot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery_observer

Scouts with binoculars, drones with cameras, satellites - those things are kind of "scouts" for artillery (or missiles). The guys 5 miles away simply cannot know what they're shooting, someone has to see the target and tell it to the artillery crew.

yes, but presumably all the scout is doing is punching in co-ordanents into his gps. (or whatever device he is using) unless the scout needs a good deal of skill to calulae the xyz, I don't quite see how the scout is going to effect the result much.

EDIT: I had just realised that an simple equation formed around the scout's skill might be esier for your average brikwarrior to remember, at least, I find formulars more memberable than an absolute value. (but that might just be my autisim)

Also, I guess seeing that there are already rules around scouts and artillery,  adding extra rules and stats might cause things to be a bit over-complcated. What is a missile but a long range artillery?  

stubby wrote: you can just drop the missile and see where it lands

I like that idea too.
3... 2... 1... DRAGONS!
runnybabbit223

Postby Maddox » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 am

What if Scout would just counter "Attacking blind" penalty?

The crew operating artillery are basically making attacks blind, since they can't see the target. They can shoot, but it probably won't hit. If there is a scout (or really anyone with communications to the crew), someone sees the target, tells it to the artillery crew and they can attack normally against it (if they have enough range, of course)
Maddox
Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material