Stealth Tank Stealth Question

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Stealth Tank Stealth Question

Postby bann154 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:40 pm

I've been working on a stealth tank and i thought about how to actually give it a bonus for being a stealth tank. Now the stealth special rule itself i don't think would really cut it on a 6" tank as thats only a -1 skill penalty to the +3 to hit leaving it at still +2 and that can make a large difference when fighting other tanks. So i was thinking would it be ok if it simply ignored any size bonuses? Just wanted to see if people had any opinions on this any feedback would be massively helpful.
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places
bann154
bann is the mann

Re: Stealth Tank Stealth Question

Postby RedRover » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:48 pm

I feel tanks in their nature are not stealthy. Does it have a cloaking device?
RedRover
I want you to be
I want you to be

Postby Valiant » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Tanks are only deployed on the battlefield to make the other minifigures have an  :byzero: moment, then promptly get destroyed. Making the tank invisible takes away the whole "shock and awe" effect.
Valiant
Don't Steal My Tanks (They're Copyrighted)

Postby bann154 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:35 pm

RedRover wrote:I feel tanks in their nature are not stealthy. Does it have a cloaking device?

yeas it is also a hover tank so it would not be loud at all
bann154
bann is the mann

Postby Gungnir » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 pm

The biggest issue with a stealth tank is that tanks typically have several weapons mounted onto them. Any time you fire one, it's going to give away the tank's position, and any time you don't fire one makes the tank essentially useless.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby aoffan23 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:33 pm

Personally I think a stealth APC would make more sense. But to answer your question, I think that's a fine way to handle it, since being cloaked means you won't see the tank's full size anyway.
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.

I agree with Warhead.
aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby bann154 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:36 pm

aoffan23 wrote:Personally I think a stealth APC would make more sense. But to answer your question, I think that's a fine way to handle it, since being cloaked means you won't see the tank's full size anyway.

Thats is true. But thank you for putting a straight answer to the question!
bann154
bann is the mann

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:02 am

You could give it a specialty like Invisibility: All ranged attack rolls against this unit count as firing blind and thus receive a -5 skill penalty to their attack roll.
This would effectively emulate the fact that the opposing units have a vague idea of where the tank is but can't pin point it's exact location/outline. Of course the size bonus would still be at effect so the opponent would still receive a +3 size bonus for a grand total of -2 which is pretty goof for being out in the open. This is why it's still always smart to put your tank behind a wall or aiming over a hill or around the corner of a building to at least shroud most of it.
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
Mega Blok

Postby Steel_Valkyrie » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:07 pm

But in the game, how would you model it in? Would it be there, but you pretend it's not? Or would you move a representative marker and choose when to de-cloak? And can you not fire weapons Star Trek-Style? I guess what I'm asking is "Can the enemy see the tank at all times?"
Steel_Valkyrie
Also sounding like a whiny bitch

Postby Gungnir » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:32 pm

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:But in the game, how would you model it in? Would it be there, but you pretend it's not? Or would you move a representative marker and choose when to de-cloak? And can you not fire weapons Star Trek-Style? I guess what I'm asking is "Can the enemy see the tank at all times?"

Read the stealth rules.
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby BFenix » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:05 am

*tsk tsk*

BFenix
Pooplord

Postby Steel_Valkyrie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:48 pm

quote="Gungnir"]
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:But in the game, how would you model it in? Would it be there, but you pretend it's not? Or would you move a representative marker and choose when to de-cloak? And can you not fire weapons Star Trek-Style? I guess what I'm asking is "Can the enemy see the tank at all times?"

Read the stealth rules.[/quote] Where exactly are those? They're not in the Normal rules, I don't think. A house rule? (Sorry, I'm new.)
Steel_Valkyrie

Postby Gungnir » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Steel_Valkyrie wrote:
Gungnir wrote:

Read the stealth rules.
Where exactly are those? They're not in the Normal rules, I don't think. A house rule? (Sorry, I'm new.)

In the rules. Look under "The Scout."
Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Steel_Valkyrie » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:04 pm

Gungnir wrote:
Steel_Valkyrie wrote:
Gungnir wrote:

Read the stealth rules.
Where exactly are those? They're not in the Normal rules, I don't think. A house rule? (Sorry, I'm new.)

In the rules. Look under "The Scout."

Sorry. I missed that the first scan. But yeah, that should work wonderfully. The only thing I can think of is making sure the tank can pass between objects/ weather or not it interferes with scenery or not. A hovertank would do wonderfully.
Steel_Valkyrie

Return to Bonus Material