Portal Guns

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

stubby
tl;dr: the rule of fudge is the entire rulebook

Re: Portal Guns

Post by stubby » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:04 am

Voin wrote:Alright, sounds good. But what I'd like to know about is more... well, Portal-like portals (as in the 2 Portal game).

For example:

- If I fire something through one end, will it keep the same momentum going out the other end?
- Can a minifig throw a grenade through a portal to frag enemies that are at the other end of the battlefield (after the other end of the portal has been set up)?
- Can someone/something reach through a portal to grab something from the other side & yank it through?
- Can portals be set up at 90-degree angles so that a vehicle "crashes into itself"?
- Can a falling minifig shoot a portal onto the ground to "fall through"?

Of course, the portals work both ways, so...
This is entirely up to how you picture them working. I don't see any reason to limit this rule for or against. Remember that aiming at anything you can't see is at -5.

Voin wrote:Also, would you need to take 2 turns to set up a linked pair of portals, or do you think it would be fair to allow firing a "portal gun" x2 in one turn?
A minifig can only aim at one thing in a turn. If you want to fire twice without aiming, then let one of your opponents decide where the portals ended up.
Natalya wrote:Wtf is going on in this thread?

stubby

Post by stubby » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Voin wrote:
stubby wrote:
Voin wrote:Also, would you need to take 2 turns to set up a linked pair of portals, or do you think it would be fair to allow firing a "portal gun" x2 in one turn?
A minifig can only aim at one thing in a turn. If you want to fire twice without aiming, then let one of your opponents decide where the portals ended up.
The thing is, it doesn't make much sense to have just one end of a portal floating there, w/ nowhere for it to go, does it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is there a question here? You can do whatever you want with portals, all I'm saying is that a minifig can only aim at one thing at a time.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:50 pm

If you've ever played Portal, you'd know that there can indeed be unlinked portals with no destination.
BrikThulhu eats 1d6 minifigs each turn.

stubby

Post by stubby » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Voin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:If you've ever played Portal, you'd know that there can indeed be unlinked portals with no destination.
Yeah, but those aren't really portals so much as they are quantum-entanglement-thingies w/ the potential to become portals if linked to a counterpart.
Yes. Are you talking about something different?

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:09 am

I don't think we are. If you want to make a working portal gun in Brikwars, make it work like a portal gun.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Seems like overthinking to me. Keep it simple.
Point it at something, pull the trigger. Bloop, orange portal. Point it at something else. Bloop, blue portal.

aoffan23
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You can nail me with your wood. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Post by aoffan23 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 pm

Voin wrote:
Gungnir wrote:Seems like overthinking to me. Keep it simple.
Point it at something, pull the trigger. Bloop, orange portal. Point it at something else. Bloop, blue portal.
Yeah, I think you may be right. Maybe I should just simplify it down to a Gun w/ a Portal radius = to WS. The Portal Gun fired in more of a straight line than a parabolic arc anyway.
Also it's called a portal gun, not a portal launcher. So that kind of ends the argument right at the start.
Spoiler
Show
Tzan wrote:
Quantumsurfer wrote:I generally agree with Tzan
Warhead wrote:I agree with QuantumSmurfer.
I agree with Warhead.

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Don't limit its range either, since it's possible to put one on the moon. I'd give it the same UR as a gun of the same size though, since putting a portal on the right surface might take a couple tries.

Captain-Camper
seriously?

Post by Captain-Camper » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:32 am

White blocks/tiles only because all the metal in game was covered in moon dust. Im not joking look it up
"Tallyho lads, snuggle the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers"

Gungnir
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Gungnir » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Voin wrote:Also, one can (and should) Fudge that Portal Guns have advanced to the point where we can put a Portal on any flat surface.
Agreed. ABS is weird enough that you can build cars out of dirt and chainsaws out of laser, so it doesn't really make sense to limit portal guns to white surfaces only.
Also, that's racist.

AnnoyedZebra
Somebody make this Zebra's rank.

Post by AnnoyedZebra » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:54 am

Out of range things receive a skill penalty to hit. They aren't impossible to shoot at.
Image Image

TheAtomikpunk
wait, I don't get it
Location: Somewhere between fallout 3, skyrim, and brikwars...

Post by TheAtomikpunk » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Voin wrote: Once you set up a pair of linked portals, firing the gun subsequent times removes the portal of the second-to-last color you placed & fires it at a new surface.
Don't fully agree, as this means to switch one portal it could take an extra turn to move it. It would be better, imao to merely specify which portal you are moving, as in the game where you had 2 triggers, if I remember correctly.
Other than that, this is ossum!
My Stuff
"Remember Vegetables, Stay in Drugs, Don't do kids, and eat your school."

Wise man once said, " Tl;dr the entire rulebook is fudge."