Stating Storm Bolter Style Weapons

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

bann154
bann is the mann

Stating Storm Bolter Style Weapons

Post by bann154 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:41 pm

So i recently came up with a half decent one handed storm bolter style weapon and i was wondering of how i should stat it or other weapons of the same type. I was thinking stating it as two sized weapons and possibly Ker-modifying it to have better range or simply stat it as two 1.5" weapons or as just a bland 1.5" machinegun. Thoughts?
My Factions/My Battles/My Painting and Modelling Adventures
A mind without purpose will wander in dark places

Texhnophille
Minifig

Re: Stating Storm Bolter Style Weapons

Post by Texhnophille » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm

bann154 wrote:So i recently came up with a half decent one handed storm bolter style weapon and i was wondering of how i should stat it or other weapons of the same type. I was thinking stating it as two sized weapons and possibly Ker-modifying it to have better range or simply stat it as two 1.5" weapons or as just a bland 1.5" machinegun. Thoughts?
Personally, I would stat a regular bolter as a d8-damaging weapon with armor piercing ammo, since it's a bigger caliber than most of our modern guns. Are you going to give storm bolters to minifigs or some sort of astartes-like exosuit? In the latter case I would stat it as size 3 machine gun (following the idea of two 1.5" weapons) with 2d8 AP damage. I think the size, being 3 instead of 2, is also a reasonable tradeoff for bigger dice and AP. Maybe you could also make it do some explosive shenanigans on critsuccess, considering that 40k bolts are essentially mini-rockets. Like I don't know, make an enemy explode for the amount of damage left after going through the armor?
Natalya wrote:Warhammer doesn't sell well because the models are good; it sells because of the awesome universe created around the models.