BrikWars League?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: warman45, Rev. Sylvanus

Carda
Officer

BrikWars League?

Post by Carda » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 pm

I'm a regular at a local gaming store that focuses on tabletop RPGs, CCGs, and miniture strategy games ranging from ____Clix (fill in the blank, they have pretty much all the different ones) to Warhammer and such. They have special gaming tables set up that provide sufficient room for not only card games, but full-scale 40K battles and the like.

So naturally, I started thinking: "I wonder if I could generate interest in a BrikWars League?"

Of course, such a brilliant idea has some issues that must first be resolved.

Sticking Point #1: These 40K players are the Serious Business type. Full-blown luggage to tote their armies around, tape measures down to the 16th of an inch, etc. I question their openness to a game where the one rule that must be upheld above all else is The Rule Of Fudge.

Sticking Point #2: I know that the best way to play is with The Goal Of Total Annihilation Of All Those Present On The Battlefield, but having other potential scenarios with different goals should help add some variety to things.

Sticking Point #3: How exactly would I go about pitching the idea for a BrikWars League to the shop owners without getting laughed out of the front door?

I welcome any input on the above.
Bravo 13th: A Lego webcomic

http://lessthan3.netraptor.org/bravo13th/

IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Post by IVhorseman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:35 pm

Point # 1: they WILL have some anorakism. luckily, this lets you introduce advanced rules fairly quickly. one thing to mention though is for heroic feats: make sure all parties understand what will happen should the hero succeed OR fail, BEFORE any dice are rolled. remember: these guys play to win.

Point #2: this you'll have to mediate with your fellow gamers as well. will they want the more serious political-strife based background, or is "lol kill it" fine with them? you should go with the annihilation method if at all possible, but some of the other examples include: capture the flag, capture the briefcase, defend for X number of turns, retrieve the treasure (this one's fun. get a bunch of treasure chests, fill one with the super-secret-object, and then mix and match em until nobody knows what's in what case, and spread across the map), or of course, Road Warrior.

Point #3: do the shopkeepers know you well? like on a first name basis? if so, just bring up that you found a d6 based wargaming system that uses legos. when they go "4 srs?", hook em with brikwars.

Rayhawk
Overlord

Post by Rayhawk » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:08 pm

Depending on the shopkeepers' personalities, they may object if you're playing a game that they can't somehow turn into sales. Just remind them that bringing people into the store and getting them excited increases their chances of looking around and buying things, whether or not they're related to the game you're playing.

james+burgundy
I tend to just pile the shit on myself

Post by james+burgundy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:54 pm

DICE THEY CAN BUY DICE
Been here longer then pretty much all of you or some shit.

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Well,.... you could ask the shop keeper outright what is the purpose of the tables,....

then like everythinhg else on life, dance around the subject until you have a feeling for what he will, or will not go for......

Kinda like your first date with a chick you barley know,.....

Pvt Expendable
Dimmy

Post by Pvt Expendable » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:00 pm

say what city / town / stae / country is this in?

aybraus
Hero

Post by aybraus » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:47 pm

Maybe I should point out that my Brikwars games have rarely worked out when people play competitively.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna
Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:18 pm

Okay, as for numero tres, you're going to have to really know the game store owners. My family is always quick to do that whenever we move around (we all play Warhammer, both 40K and Fantasy, with the addition of Blood Bowl and Mordhiem, and then I think I've found the perfect way to get my Dad hooked on Brikwars... we're all gamers here).

I could make a fair bet that if I pitched this to my local game store owner, he'd be a bit skeptical, but i think after a five minute barter session he'd give in.

Also, if you promise them that these new players will come in and buy dice, that will definitely help you along.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Matt
Officer

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Another thing to do would be show the owner pictures of a highly oganized brikwar,that should clear up some skeptisizim.
Also,suggest some things that they could sell involving brikwars, such as dice, pips, custom minifigs, ect...
"One can never have enough miniguns my friend."
I hope I get to say that Someday.....
My Flickr
http://www.knightfight.co.uk/?ac=vid&vi ... &ref=flink

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Ooh, the messiness factor might come into it as well. Yeah, put on an example game for them, if possible. Advertisement is exactly what Brikwars needs. More players to get together with, especially since we seem to be few, and we're all over the place. Ther are so few gaming groups for Brikwars... mostly because Brikwars is played by unorganized, unethical people. People like me.

Or at least that's what I thought before I joined these forums. Thanks, guys.
-=[ Visage ]=-

ninkybob
Champion
Champion

Post by ninkybob » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Personally, I don't think many WAAC Warhammer players will go for Brikwars. They just aren't light hearted enough to accept the complxity of the Brikwars universe :lol: . I would be suprised is you got more than 25% of the gaming community there to play.

And yeas, dice-sales could pitch the argument in your favor. I'm still looking for a decent set of Green dice.

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Post by Olothontor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 pm

Also, be prepared when you pitch your idea to accept the fact that you're going to have to run it all. Because you know that the owner won't. I would have by now, but that would require me to drive half an hour to the game store and dedicate to it (which would also require a license and a car, neither of which I have).
-=[ Visage ]=-

501stCadians
Galidor
Galidor

Re: BrikWars League?

Post by 501stCadians » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Carda wrote:I'm a regular at a local gaming store that focuses on tabletop RPGs, CCGs, and miniture strategy games ranging from ____Clix (fill in the blank, they have pretty much all the different ones) to Warhammer and such. They have special gaming tables set up that provide sufficient room for not only card games, but full-scale 40K battles and the like.

So naturally, I started thinking: "I wonder if I could generate interest in a BrikWars League?"

Of course, such a brilliant idea has some issues that must first be resolved.

Sticking Point #1: These 40K players are the Serious Business type. Full-blown luggage to tote their armies around, tape measures down to the 16th of an inch, etc. I question their openness to a game where the one rule that must be upheld above all else is The Rule Of Fudge.

Sticking Point #2: I know that the best way to play is with The Goal Of Total Annihilation Of All Those Present On The Battlefield, but having other potential scenarios with different goals should help add some variety to things.

Sticking Point #3: How exactly would I go about pitching the idea for a BrikWars League to the shop owners without getting laughed out of the front door?

I welcome any input on the above.

Great idea but...I'm a 40k player and im not all down to 16th of an inch.In fact i hardly ever USE the tape mesaure.

But it's a good idea my gaming store is dead like 99.9% no people...So lego would certanly give it some pzazz! :D :o
IVhorseman wrote:I'm the Several Hundred Dollar Man!
Rayhawk wrote:"Give him the stick DON'T GIVE HIM THE STICK" was a major part of Knights Kingdom development.

Almighty Benny
Jaw-Jaw

Post by Almighty Benny » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm

Although it would be great if it were that easy to just go out and get opponents, I think that, in general, Brikwars players were fans of Lego looking for a wargame, not wargamers looking for another wargame. If they're really serious about rules and aren't huge fans of Lego, they won't have any incentive to play.

Probably the best way to get people into it would be to set up a game of Brikwars between you and your friends in the store and let the hardcore guys watch. Get all your best models and make sure the game goes well (ie. lot's of violence and explosions). You might get some bites that way, and if you don't, that's just proof that none of them would have made good BrikWarriors in the first place.
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...

IVhorseman

Post by IVhorseman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:40 am

Almighty Benny wrote:Probably the best way to get people into it would be to set up a game of Brikwars between you and your friends in the store and let the hardcore guys watch. Get all your best models and make sure the game goes well (ie. lot's of violence and explosions). You might get some bites that way, and if you don't, that's just proof that none of them would have made good BrikWarriors in the first place.
in this same vein, make sure the players are shouting things like "ohhh!" and being all interested and high-energy about die rolls. people will flock over to what looks like a good scene.