The Xtreme Philosipher

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Postby ahp77 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 am

pesgores wrote:
ahp77 wrote:Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, law, justice, validity, mind, and language.


You just called yourself boring, almighty one.


The bold subject is the worst thing. We exist because we were born. Period.


So then what created the bacteria that we must have evolved from?
User avatar
ahp77
Jaw-Jaw
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:29 pm

Postby Tzan » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

Xtreeme Philosopher


Attack: Talks about philosophy to 1 enemy within 2 inches. Each player rolls 1d6.

- the philosopher rolls higher, the enemy immediately commits suicide.
- equal rolls, the target wants to hear more and cannot move or attack during its next turn.
- defender rolls higher, the attack fails.


If the attack roll of the Philosopher is a 1:
A giant 3" radius Black Hole of Illogic appears killing everyone within it. The bodies disappear and the weapons drop to the ground.

This is why even the team mates of a philosopher stay far away. A philosopher has no friends.

A philosopher also has no weapons. He cannot carry any weapons, but he can carry a megaphone that extends the range of his attack to 6".
Last edited by Tzan on Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tzan
Blockguy
 
Posts: 5140
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Boston

Postby Rody » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 am

pesgores wrote:
ahp77 wrote:Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, law, justice, validity, mind, and language.


You just called yourself boring, almighty one.


The bold subject is the worst thing. We exist because we were born. Period.

I might be able to prove to myself that I exist, but trying to do so conclusively with the rest of the world is.. impossible, it's just very likely that the world does in fact exist.
in other words for all I know you don't exist, heck for all I know the stupid things that happened to me while my memory was gone, did not exist. (oh how I wish this to be true)
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
User avatar
Rody
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Below sea-level

Postby pesgores » Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Rody wrote:
pesgores wrote:
ahp77 wrote:Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, law, justice, validity, mind, and language.


You just called yourself boring, almighty one.


The bold subject is the worst thing. We exist because we were born. Period.

I might be able to prove to myself that I exist, but trying to do so conclusively with the rest of the world is.. impossible, it's just very likely that the world does in fact exist.
in other words for all I know you don't exist, heck for all I know the stupid things that happened to me while my memory was gone, did not exist. (oh how I wish this to be true)


That's something that keeps me awake at night sometimes.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
Image
User avatar
pesgores
The Dear Leader
 
Posts: 3262
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:47 am
Location: Looking for baseplates

Postby IVhorseman » Mon May 11, 2009 2:06 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hallucinogens!
User avatar
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick
 
Posts: 6644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:12 pm
Location: The Abyss

Postby Rody » Mon May 11, 2009 4:49 pm

I was referring to a beer related incident.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
User avatar
Rody
My Little Pony
 
Posts: 1950
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Below sea-level

Postby Almighty Benny » Sat May 23, 2009 11:16 am

Socrates (AKA Plato) was a badass philosopher who would use the Socratic method of logic and reasoning to get people to prove themselves wrong!

He would never directly tell you you were wrong, but instead pretend to be very interested in your point of view, and then ask you a series of loaded questions until eventually you would be arguing against your original statement. Read The Republic or The Symposium if you have the chance.

Anyway, I agree that the philosopher unit must be slow, weak and weaponless, because they were typically pacifists. (Unless you make a Philosopher King hero, which sounds awesome already). My version of the philosopher would roll against other units that get within his attack range. If he wins the roll, he has successfully convinced the other unit that your cause is righteous. That unit will then come under your command until it is killed or re-converted by the other team. (Philosophers cannot be converted)

Socrates always used to believe that only philosophers should be kings, so a Philosopher King hero would probably also get to wear armor and carry a sword.
Image
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
User avatar
Almighty Benny
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby Elmagnifico » Sun May 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Almighty Benny wrote:My version of the philosopher would roll against other units that get within his attack range. If he wins the roll, he has successfully convinced the other unit that your cause is righteous. That unit will then come under your command until it is killed or re-converted by the other team. (Philosophers cannot be converted)


This sounds more like an ability for a Jesuit, Missionary or Evangelist, but all three of those are also philosophers, so I guess this works as an umbrella ability.

(Note: the following is stolen from Age of Empires II)

For an extra 3 CP, philosopher gains Atonement, allowing them to convert other philosophers.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
User avatar
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Still Controversial to Some Douches

Postby Warhead » Sun May 24, 2009 6:24 pm

Has anyone given any thought that there would have to be an Arch Nemesis to the Philosopher Hero King... It stands to reason, doesn't it? Some ignoramus who thinks might is right or some such... and even though he can follow the thread of the clever arguments against his actions he either doesn't care (being fully aware he is in the wrong or not) or gets so annoyed at trying to think his way through it all he gives up and flies into a killing rage, ripping your philosophers toga a new one.
Image
Image
Motherfucker!
User avatar
Warhead
Build me an Army worthy of Mordor
 
Posts: 10932
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm
Location: I'm Momnipresent.

Postby birdman » Sun May 24, 2009 7:03 pm

uh, dimmy?
Image
User avatar
birdman
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 am

Postby Almighty Benny » Sun May 24, 2009 7:32 pm

yeah, some units would just have to be immune to logic I guess.

Now that I think of it, all the best ones are.
Image
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
User avatar
Almighty Benny
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby Greenkey15 » Sun May 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Philosophers should be able to convince physics to bend to their will, too. Come to think of it, these guys would be good Jedi.
User avatar
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:01 pm

Postby Elmagnifico » Sun May 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Philosophers should also be able to prove the non-existance of objects, ie their enemy's weapons, and make them disappear.

If it fails...

"Raah, hit puny thinky-man with mace!"

"I just proved your mace does not exist. Hitting me with it would be futile."

The enemy then proves his weapon's existance in a rather messy manner.
READTHEFORUMCODE!!!
Varsaavius wrote:As the size of the explosion increases, the amount of social situations it can't resolve approaches zero.
User avatar
Elmagnifico
Mega Blok
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Still Controversial to Some Douches

Postby Almighty Benny » Sun May 24, 2009 7:58 pm

it would only be fair that in order for a Philosopher Hero to pull off a philosophik feat, the player controlling him/her must convince their opponent that it's a good idea.

If said opponent is being an annorak, then at the very least the player must present a convincing argument and win a "what I say goes" roll

To be honest though, I'd much rather watch puny thinky-man's brains get splattered all over the battlefield.
Last edited by Almighty Benny on Sun May 24, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
I said "no" to drugs, but they just wouldn't listen...
User avatar
Almighty Benny
Galidor
Galidor
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby Hevyneon » Sun May 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Wow. Now I feel like trying to making a stat card for it.
TROLOLO
Hevyneon
Hero
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest