BrikSpace

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

What would you like to see out of Brikspace?

Awesome not-too-complex space combat!
30%
Cool space combat with some tactics thrown in there.
46%
Make it more like Battefleet Gothic or something (pretty complex, but fun).
22%
I just wanna build the ships, man.
2%

Total votes : 46

Postby MasterEcabob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm

I was thinking having it so that if it got hit with anything it would die, but 1d3 (do those even exist?) sounds better.

And good point about the missiles, with the added range you probably won't have time to shoot them down.

What do you think about my tractor beam idea?
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Eh, it's a possibility. I may have to mess around with it and stage small battles with myself to see how well these things work out.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Location: Lounging in a commercial Starliner of his own design.

Postby kidko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Tractor beam's an idea. We can toss that into the Experimental bin as well. The tough part would be getting anything close enough to use the TB on like Bonn-o-Tron... during the battles we had, the ships generally stayed at least 1' away, and more often than not, were on nearly opposite sides of the battlefield.

The range... well, we played with that twice, and there was plenty of time to shoot a lot down.

As for d3's, the way they usually work is to roll 1d6. 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3.
kidko
Officer

Postby MasterEcabob » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 pm

kidko wrote:As for d3's, the way they usually work is to roll 1d6. 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3.

Mind=Blown

Why didn't I think of this?
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:35 pm

Hehe.

Also, on your unanswered question about the campaign rules so far... ships like Fighters and Bombers count for nothing, because they don't have a max Cp limit anymore. Larger ships that simply don't have a Cp limit count as much as the ship directly below them in the Ship Class list.

Also, scratch that last post. Every new rule that CAN be used, WILL be used, because the game is a little ridiculous without it. I mean, obviously we can't delete Cutters in the midst of battle, but everything else should still count. Oh, and engines will have to wait to be updated in terms of forum battle.

EDIT: After reading through the Battlefleet Gothic rules on the Games Workshop website, I have a few more ideas to throw out there, specifically if I ever get in contact with TBD and ask permission to use his boarding rules:

Assault Craft: Bought like a Fighter, stored in Cargo Bays, these ships carry a number of troops towards an enemy vessel. Once within an inch, the ship can release it's store of troops at the enemy ship, thus initiating a board.

Boarding Torpedo: A large torpedo manned on the inside by a set number of troops (functions like a missile in terms of movement and shooting). The missile has a 1d3 chance of doing damage like a Light missile. No matter whether it does damage, however, the missile bores through the armor and opens up once secure to release it's score of troops, initiating a board.

The advantage to Assault Craft over Boarding Torpedos is that Tropedos are fast, but easily shot down. Assault craft are more heavily armored, but would probably come with no weapons.

EDIT #2: Added Interceptors to the Experimental Ships section and dropped Corvettes, for being pointless.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Olothontor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 am

pesgores wrote:Can be used in BrikSpace if time is running short. Ships here are those who must carry a crew, so small craft doesn't count.

Marine Parties
-When a ship comes in 1" range of another, the ship that closed in's turn may choose to board the enemy using a Marine Party (MP).

Marine Party
-Must be bought separately for each ship. Has a strength going from 1 to 6. Cost is calculated [2 x S(trength)].
-When boarding, you have got to take if they have any Marine Parties into mind:
-If they haven't, the ship is automatically taken over by the attackers.
-If they have, they have to fight a battle for the ship.

Battle for the Ship
-To determine who wins a round, each MP will always roll 1d6. Add it to the strength and you'll get the final result. The MP with the highest result wins the round. Tie die rolls must be repeated. There are no critical successes.

Phases of the BftS
1-AMP (attackers) and DMP (defenders) both roll the dice
-Does AMP prevail? Go to 2
-Does DMP prevail? Go to 4
2-The AMP have successfully entered the ship. Roll again
-Does AMP prevail, again? Go to 3
-Does DMP prevail this time? Go to 5
3-The ship is now under control of the AMP and the DMP is completely eliminated from game
4-The invasion is immediately repelled. The AMP is eliminated instantly.
5-The AMP have now 2 options:
-Retreat? Both MPs will end undamaged and the AMP will return back to the ship
-Keep fighting? Go to 6
6-The AMP strikes again. This is the only time they can strike back.
-The DMP is once again successful? Go to 4
-The AMP pwns? Go to 7
7-What happens now?
-They pwn again? Go to 3
-They fail to secure the 2nd blow in a row? Go to 4

This may seem dificult to take track off, but it works in other situations. here is an example:

-The Dementor, a critical flagship, is invaded by the LGS Forces
-The AMP (LGS) has a S of 5, the DMP (Dementor's MP) has a S of 4
1-The AMP rolls 3; the DMP rolls 3; the AMP wins the first round and they penetrate the ship (5+3=8 > 4+3=7)
2-The AMP rolls 2; the DMP rolls 4; the AMP are pulled back (5+2=6 < 4+4=8)
3-The AMP decide to fight back; they roll 6; the DMP roll 1; the AMP is successfully going inside the ship's main quarters
4-The AMP rolsl 5; the DMP rolls 5; the AMP prevails once again.

The LGS Forces have captured The Dementor.

Thanks to pesgores for the boarding rules. With his permission I will adapt them slightly and put them in the rulebook! Thanks tremendously, pesgores!
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Rayhawk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:13 am

MasterEcabob wrote:
kidko wrote:As for d3's, the way they usually work is to roll 1d6. 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3.

Mind=Blown
Why didn't I think of this?

The other way is to roll d100 and just re-roll any result higher than 3.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby MasterEcabob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:37 am

That takes longer though (unless you are using a 1d4).

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby Olothontor » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 am

He was making a joke, MasterEcabob...
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby Warhead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 am

Thank goodness for that, it took me ages to get a result between 1-3 on my D100 last night. I tried the D6 thing and halved the result but I cut my finger sawing the die in half. Why not Rock, Paper, Scissors for a 1/2 D6? or as we play it, Chainsaw, Gun, Kick in Nuts. Uh, can someone direct me back to the manly threads please.
Warhead
Build me an Army worthy of Mordor

Postby Olothontor » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:18 pm

Wow, mildly derailed topic here.

Still, it was amusing.

EDIT: Finally got back around to updating some more rules. I stated under the Missile rules that each ship can only fire one missile of any type per turn unless it's rules or equipment state otherwise.

I have also nerfed Sensor Packages, overhauling them completely (that bonus they gave was almost utterly useless, as I've found over several games now). They will now allow a ship equipped with them to fire more than one missile a turn. A Light Sensor Package allows 2 of any type, while a Heavy Sensor Package allows 4. We'll see how much better this works out. I'm sure they're actually worth something now.

EDIT #2: Also added in...

Missile Guidance Systems - Purchased with a Missile Package. This system applies to each Missile fired from the Package it is equipped to. This allows a Missile to "avoid" Light or Difficult Debris, as long as the Missile does not FINISH moving on a piece of Debris. This does not count for Impossible Debris. Costs 6 Cp.

EDIT #3: I think a lot of the larger ships need more Special Rules. Currently the Missile Barge has a ridiculous Special Rule, and the Freighter has a Special Rule that simply bolsters the Missile Barge. To balance that out slightly... I'll start formulating some extras. Or possibly some equipment that gives ships that can afford it something extra.

Just an experimental idea I threw in with the Other Weapons:

Defense Batteries - These are small laser weapons strategically mounted on the ship that are specifically geared to take out incoming Missiles before they can do significant damage. These weapons may not fire on anything other than Missiles, and can only affect Missiles that are within 10" of the ship equipped with them. However, any Missile they aim at is automatically destroyed. This system may only target and destroy a SINGLE Missile per turn (meaning the Missile they hit does NOT explode, and therefore cannot hit other Missiles in the blast). Costs 4 Cp.
-=[ Visage ]=-

Olothontor
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby MasterEcabob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Also we've been thinking about adding space stations into the mix. They would just be giant, immobile fortresses that can hold a ton of cargo bays, missile packages and laser cannons.

So basically...

Space Station: Agility 1

No engine
2-4 Free Cargo Bays
30 max cp limit
Heavy Armor

I plan to try these out in my next brikspace battle...

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby lrdofbricks » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:01 pm

i would like to say that i dislike a ship losing a part every time its hit. that allows big ships to just float around useless after taking 2 or 3 hit.

i think you should assign each ship a hp value, and when you hit another ship and you roll for damage, and on a 1-5 it takes that much damage, and on a 6 it takes 5 damage and loses a part.
LEGION- fear it
the 100000 post- by me
"manliness= X(warhead+piltog)^2/James+burgandy"
lrdofbricks
Jaw-Jaw

Postby MasterEcabob » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Eh, that's what repair drones are supposed to be for.

But I do agree that ships die a little too easy, but I think that was what Olothontor was going for.

MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby kidko » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Actually, that's because you're using the parts right. If you load up your larger ships with a few Medium and mostly Small weapons, they can take quite a beating.

Combine Fire, and you can even damage ships every now and then :D
kidko
Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Bonus Material