Help Porting over Warhammer Fantasy armies to Brikwars?

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Help Porting over Warhammer Fantasy armies to Brikwars?

Postby MagicJuggler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:49 pm

Hello there. So I've mentioned interest in introducing the Brikwars system to my LGS, and figure it would be easier with pre-written stats for assorted armies so we could test the rules with our current figures. Can we as a group brainstorm rules for the following armies?

PS: I am in favor of 2001 edition rules, especially for use with Supernatural Powers; I would most likely adapt the 2005 squad rules for regiments though.

Pretty much every army except Skaven, Bretonnia, or Ogre Kingdoms...Chaos Daemons in Brikwars stats would make me shudder though; the SP supplement really doesn't have rules for making units of casters but I can imagine each Horror having the abiliity to lend power points...
TROLOLO
MagicJuggler
Battlefield General

Postby Bennanteno » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Off the top of my head
Some sort of morale system is helpfull.
Brettonians i think could just be standard TL2 humans.
The Empire would be TL3 humans.
Dwarves would be TL3, but have a few TL4 steampunk weapons. They move slower and are short but are just as tough as humans if not tougher.They move 4" per turn but otherwise use the basic minifig stats.
Orcs are TL1, but the ones that build stuff may be TL2 or even TL3. Ork regulars get close combat bonuses, but severe penalties for ranged weapons. They are just as tough or tougher than humans despite their low teklevel. +1 in close combat.
Goblins and Snotlings get penalties to their armor and hand to hand abilities, since they are small and generally poor hand to hand fighters. -1 in hand to hand.
Rather than going by teklevel, use the armor on the figure to find the armor value of any given model.
Base Armor Values
Human: 3
Dwarf: 3
Ork: 4
Goblin: 1
Ratman: 2
Skink: 2
Ogre: 5
Saurus: 4
Armor Effects
Light Armor: +1
Armor: +2
Heavy Armor: +3
Judge for yourself how much armor a figure is wearing. All figures in a unit have the same armor value, and probably the same weapon.
Bennanteno
Officer

Postby tahthing » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:00 pm

no its simple.
use lego men! the idea is its a game for for people who have lego!
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby MagicJuggler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:06 pm

...wow, sorry I asked. That seems a bit elitist an answer...

From what I'm seeing, Orcs would have psychology issues similar to the 2005 half-mind rules, only instead of being incompetent or submissive or such, they would be stupidly violent. So each turn they have to destroy something, be it another Orc, or a baby seal.

Would it also be worth creating a toughness-to-armor chart for some stuff?

Also, in regards to the good-ol-Steam Tank, how shall we represent it's many abilities?
TROLOLO
MagicJuggler
Battlefield General

Postby OneEye589 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Well, if you're playing with Warhammer figures, why not just play Warhammer? If you're playing with Legos, play Brikwars. Makes sense to me.
OneEye589
Pooplord

Postby MasterEcabob » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 pm

MagicJuggler wrote:
From what I'm seeing, Orcs would have psychology issues similar to the 2005 half-mind rules, only instead of being incompetent or submissive or such, they would be stupidly violent. So each turn they have to destroy something, be it another Orc, or a baby seal.

Brikwars should totally have a character like this, something with extra powerful stat with the catch that if it doesn't destroy something it blows up.
jifel wrote:"Any fool can make something bigger and more dangerous, but it takes an intelligent man to do the opposite."

As if we care. More explosives!
MasterEcabob
Jaw-Jaw

Postby james+burgundy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:59 pm

tahthing wrote:no its simple.
use lego men!
haha yeah
james+burgundy
Pooplord

Postby More Dakka » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 pm

OneEye589 wrote:Well, if you're playing with Warhammer figures, why not just play Warhammer? If you're playing with Legos, play Brikwars. Makes sense to me.

Magic Juggler wrote:interest in introducing the Brikwars system to my LGS

Though I agree Lego would be good for introducing the mayhem aspect.

Besides base stats, you could make a single cool rule for each race that plays with the rules a bit. Oh, and you could give Dwarfs increased power (lets them do more CC damage and carry stuff). The Alternate Species stuff is very helpful, obviously. I don't play warhammer (fantasy, anyways), so I don't know the races all that well. I don't play medieval/fantasy games much, so I don't remember how 2001 handles melee combat, but 2005 handles it pretty well. I wrote a fantasy campaign for teaching BW once, but a) it's lost, b) it was for a single player vs. DM armies (though that could be fun, too), set up sort of like the introductory levels of Fire Emblem. It had cool dragonling units, though. Also, you mentioned regiments; how big were you planning to go? If you start small, they should catch on quickly enough to make a full transition before too long (Isn't BW simpler than Warhammer, anyway?).
They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind, scratching, screaming, running, so many- so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh, body and soul!
TROLOLO
More Dakka
Champion
Champion

Location: In the marmelade forest, between the make-believe trees.

Postby tahthing » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:29 pm

I've got the simple awnser.
come up with suitible stats for the figs, like what you do with special figs, like a one-man-army will have a super powerd fig, and a dimmie would be stupider than a normal minifig.

or just bring enough lego to share.
or even just give the normal infantrie of the armys minifig stats (weather there orks or tau they have the same stats) and special units the hero stats, vehicles whould be hard since warhammer vehicles are badly scaled.
"some people are like slinkies there really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs"
"Triangalism! What's the fuckin' point!"
Spoiler: show
I am the muffinman
tahthing
Mega Blok

Postby MagicJuggler » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Well, aside from assorted issues such as not having space enough in my dorm to hold legos, warhammer figs, and academic textbooks, I figure most people would be best off using their own figures anyway...

Again, as I said earlier I have issue with Fantasy because it has poor army balance (Chaos Daemons for instance, are much stronger than Orcs and Goblins in most scenarios), while not having the rules-customization of Brikwars. So again,

The way Fantasy traditionally works, units fight in infantry blocks called regiments, with the first rank being the only one to fight. The second one CAN fight if equipped with spears, but that's' it really. However, cavalry charges are really powerful since (with the exception of Elves who can ALWAYS strike first), the attacker ALWAYS goes first on the charge, as opposed Brikwars where placing a line of spears in front of your ranks means collision checks. Of course, I also like the idea of customizable wargear, or any game that lets you use other minifigs as ammunition.
TROLOLO
MagicJuggler
Battlefield General

Postby Greenkey15 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 pm

I think the best solution would be to add certain stats to the game, like the system for the Armor Save, and Leadership. I think Magic is fine as it is, and I do think it could actually work for BrikWars with some light modifications.
Greenkey15
Cannon Fodder

Postby MagicJuggler » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Shall we do this army-by-army then? I see Brets being the easiest to adapt initially.
TROLOLO
MagicJuggler
Battlefield General

Return to Bonus Material