Lightsabers (or Beamsabers) UPDATE 1/5/2008

Supplement ideas, house rules, homemade stat cards, homebrew weapon types, and other cool variations

Moderators: Rev. Sylvanus, warman45

Lightsabers (or Beamsabers) UPDATE 1/5/2008

Postby pesgores » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:37 pm

Original post:

Is there any rule that fits into the lightsaber's ability to deflect blaster shots (and kill the shooter, like a Parry and Riposte only with one weapon)?

Well, some posts next from here, i posted the rules i made and even Force Powers. Well, in the last days i tested it better and i decided to make some changes:

DEFLECTING SHOTS:

NOTE: A lightsaber can deflect shots from any weapon, except explosions from explosive weapons(of course).

1-The shooter rolls his skill and damage.

2-Roll a die for skill for the defender. If it is the same or superior than the shooter's, the blast is deflected, and if it isn't, the shot hits the minifig.

3-If the blast is successfully deflected, roll the skill again, and if one more time, you rolled the skill and it was equal or higher than the one who shot, the deflected blast will hit the shooter, and will cause damage according to the shooter's original damage roll. If you fail in this second step, the shot is just deflected.

NOTE: You can deflect to any unit in the the same range of the weapon that was used, like, 6" if you defended from a Short-Ranged Weapon.

LIGHTSABER vs. LIGHTSABER

1- A LS wielding minifig attacks another one wielding a LS, too. He makes the normal roll for skill, and the damage roll.

2- The defending minifig rolls his skill. If it is higher than the attacker' s skill, the attack is blocked. If he fails, the attack succeds.

3-The defender rolls again. If it happens the same, defender becomes attacker still in the attacker's turn, and does step 1. attacker only does step 2 to defend, and if he is succesfull, he runs out of actions (only if he has Force Powers, he can't take the last, if he hasn't used it; see further for Force Actions). If he fails, the defender (now attacking) succeds the strike.

Of course, if there is damage involved, don't forget to roll for the armor, if needed.

Using it:

-Heroes: If one Hero is using a lightsaber, he can use the automatic deflection when he is atacked in or out of his turn without cost or punishment for his rank.

-Officers: must roll at least a 4 in each of the steps 2 and 3 to succesfully use the lightsabers' deflecting abilities.

-Minifigs and Pilots: must roll at least a 6 in each of the steps 2 and 3 to succesfully use the lightsabers' deflecting abilities.

-All other size 1, 2 and 3 creatures use it due to their rank. To size 4 and higher, the lightsaber is too hard to use as a deflector. Size 0 creatures can't also use its special abilities.

LIGHTSABERS' STATS

Lightsaber: Use: 4 Damage: 1d6+2

FORCE POWERS:

Cost to buy: 25 cp in Level 1, 30 in Level 2, 35 in Level 3.

Actions: Creature that has them can make 2 actions per turn.

NOTE: Also buys the Hero-like ability of using lightsabers.

NOTE2: Before the name of the power, there is a "LVL(number)". That indicates the minimum level to use it. That's why there are different levels: because some Jedi are more powerfull than others.

FORCE RESISTING:

-If Force-Wielding minifigs make a Force Attack on another Force-Wielder, the defender can make the skill roll to defend it (long story short, just like the Lightsabers' one-on-one combat, but with Force-Powers)

FORCE POWERS LIST:

LVL1-Force Push: Moves objects and creatures around around. Can move objects within a radius of 4" from the starting position. Can shove enemies 1d6" away. 1 Push per turn.
USE COST: 4

LVL2-Force Choke: Chokes enemies to immediate death. 1 choke per turn.
USE COST: 10

LVL3-Force Lightning: Strikes the opponents with thunder attacks. Can atack two targets at the same time(but takes 2 actions).
DAMAGE: 1d6+2
USE COST: 5

LVL3-Strength Boost: When rolling for damage (in the same turn this was used), the final number is doubled. However, in the next turn, he is prone to attacks, causing the same effect but AGAINST him. Take 1 action.

LVL3-Defence boost: Doubles the users' armor for the next opponent turn, but lowers his own attack damage in the turn this is used. Takes 1 action.

LVL2-Force Tricks: Makes 3 types of different tricks:
1-Invisibility: Puts the user invisible during the next enemy turn, therefore cannot be attacked. Uses up 2 actions in each turn.
2-Mind Trick: Defects an enemy unit to the user's team during the same turn. Uses up 2 actions in each turn.
3-Force Shield: Uses up 2 actions in each turn, but makes him immune to any attacks during the next opponent turn.
USE COST(of each one): 4

LVL1-Force Speed and Jump: The user can do all moving actions with double effort. 1 action took by each(swimming, running, climbing, etc.).
USE COST: None.

If you want something else added, i'll have much pleasure in doing it.

FIRST UPDATE: 6/4/2008
SECOND UPDATE: 12/4/2008 - Jedi Levels Added.
THIRD UPDATE: 25/4/2008 - Grammar errrors corrected.
FOURTH UPDATE: 1/5/2008 - Force Resisting added.
Last edited by pesgores on Thu May 01, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
My official post number 1000 was "The whole battle?"
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Blitzen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Sure: the Rule of Fudge. You can parry and riposite, but with one weapon. You can probably make up rules ad-hoc and get away with it.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby IVhorseman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm

that's basically what i've thought to do with it. a magnetically sealed tube of plasma is going to deflect a magnetically sealed bolt of plasma from a rifle if contact is made. go back to the rules for parrying and whatnot for close combat, and apply them to a blaster.

speaking of which, i have tried several times to figure out the parry/attack/riposte/whatever rules for close combat, but every time i get lost entirely as to what exactly goes on in these engagements (most likely because i get confused when i try to mentally pronounce "riposte").
IVhorseman
If she don't want the brick, she won't get the dick

Postby Rayhawk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm

The last time there were specific rules for parrying laser blasts was in the 1998 rulebook. Since then it's just been handled by Heroic Feats.
Rayhawk
Overlord

Postby pesgores » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:13 pm

Since there are no rules in the rulebook, i made up the Jedi Rules(uses only d6's):

DEFLECTING SHOTS:

NOTE: A lightsaber can deflect shots from any weapon, except explosions from explosive weapons(of course).

1-Roll a die for skill for the defender it is the same or superior than the shooter's, the blast is deflected, and if it isn't, the shot hits the minifig.

2-If the blast is successfully deflected, roll the skill again, and if one more time, you rolled the skill and it was equal or higher than the one who shot, the deflected blast will hit the shooter, and will cause damage according to the shooter's original damage roll. If you fail in this second step, the shot is just deflected.

NOTE: You can deflect to any unit in your range area.

Using it:

-Heroes: If one Hero is using a lightsaber, he can use the automatic deflection when he is atacked in or out of his turn without cost or punishment for his rank.

-Officers: must roll at least a 4 in each of the steps 1 and 2 to succesfully use the lightsabers' deflecting abilities.

-Minifigs and Pilots: must roll at least a 6 in each of the steps 1 and 2 to succesfully use the lightsabers' deflecting abilities.

-All other size 1 and 2 creatures use it due to their rank. To size 3 and higher, the lightsaber is too hard to use. Size 0 creatures can't also use it.

LIGHTSABERS' ONE HIT KILL:

NOTE: I think you (Rayhawk)should have included too One Hit Kill weapons stats. But oh well, you didn't.

NOTE 2(edit): Ok, let's make this rule: Lightsabers have a 7 cp cost.

Lightsaber: Use: 4 Damage: 1d6+2 (Only fails with critical failures or bad rolls to normal minifigs, it is a kind of a heavy weapon but doesn't take Move, has the same cost as normal weapons but is better and takes only one hand) EDITED from +3 to +2

FORCE POWERS:

Cost to buy: 25 cp (expensive!)
Actions: Creature that has them can make 2 actions per turn(Heroes: 3)

NOTE: Also buys the Hero-like ability of using lightsabers, but original Heroes can still use 3 actions, and the others still 2

What are they/how to use them:

-Force Push: Moves objects and creatures around around. Can move objects within a radius of 4" from the starting position. Can shove enemies 1d6" away. 1 Push per turn.
USE COST: 3

-Force Choke: Chokes enemies to death. 1 choke per turn.

-Force Lightning: Strikes the opponents with thunder attacks. Can atack two targets at the same time(but takes 2 actions).
DAMAGE: 1d6+2

-Force Tricks: Makes 3 types of different tricks:
1-Invisibility: Puts the user invisible during the next enemy turn, therefore cannot be attacked. Uses up 2 actions in each turn.
2-Mind Trick: Defects an enemy unit to the user's team during the same turn. Uses up 2 actions in each turn.
3-Force Shield: Takes all the users remaining actions, but makes him immune to any attacks during the next opponent turn.
USE COST(of them all): 4

-Force Speed and Jump: The user can do all moving actions with double effort. 1 action took by each(swimming, running, climbing, etc.).
USE COST: None.

DONE

If i miss something, warn me :)

EDIT 1: Ok, some rules changed in the Lightsabers' ONE HIT KILL rule and the Jedi Powers cost was raised from 15cp to 25cp.
And yeah, probably you won't use even half of these rules, but i just wanted to make it. It may come in handy in a tricky situation. :wink:
Last edited by pesgores on Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, that you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby piltogg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:11 pm

thankyou

danke

if I new more languadges than 2 I would say thankyou in those too, but I don't
piltogg
Clown-Face Bologna
Clown-Face Bologna

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:47 pm

if you have to scroll down to read it, it's probably too long of a ruleset to be attributed solely to one specific game mechanic, such as lightsaber combat. however, reading it led me to notice you had jedi rules as well.

i like it, but it's both time consuming (two seperate rolls) and sets specific values attributed to minifigs based on rank. i think if you dropped the rank system completely, and instead made deflection an ability you buy seperately for a fig, then you've got something worth tinkering with. however why it has to be different from the parrying for swords, i'm still not sure of.

and lightsaber one hit kills? woah buddy, slow down! do you have any idea how much less fun that is? take for example i take my lightsaber, and strike a size 32 starship with a structure level of five. "LOL ONE HIT KILL" brings it down to destruction. also, you're failing to notice that not all lightsaber wounds are lethal! count dooku, anakin skywalker, luke skywalker and ponda bobba all have had limbs or at least hands severed, and either survived, or died due to other complications.
IVhorseman

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:49 pm

piltogg wrote:thankyou

danke

Merci beaucoup.
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby pesgores » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

IVhorseman wrote:and lightsaber one hit kills? woah buddy, slow down! do you have any idea how much less fun that is? take for example i take my lightsaber, and strike a size 32 starship with a structure level of five. "LOL ONE HIT KILL" brings it down to destruction. also, you're failing to notice that not all lightsaber wounds are lethal! count dooku, anakin skywalker, luke skywalker and ponda bobba all have had limbs or at least hands severed, and either survived, or died due to other complications.

Rule changed. And that ONE HIT KILLS is just a form of saying. it causes damage, doesn't kill immediately; i was saying that the weapon's own skill helps the user to kill easily. BTW, i couldn't destroy a supersized vehicle, with a total roll of 8 (ok i could, but it is rare).
pesgores
The Dear Leader

Postby Atomsk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:06 pm

I don't like set rules for how characters can use a weapon like a Lightsaber or powers like the Force. Heroic rolls are probably the best way to deal with this, but there's stil a 50/50 chance of loosing, and for some instances it's better to probably use the lightsaber as a tool so you can do a Use roll instead. Since the weapon is normally in the hands of a Hero, you've got a much higher and realistic chance of suceeding.
Atomsk
Cannon Fodder

Postby *CRAZYHORSE* » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:57 pm

Bonn-o-Tron wrote:

danke

Merci beaucoup.

Dank je wel. that's Dutch
stubby wrote:You were inb4beluga.
*CRAZYHORSE*
My Little Pony

Postby Rody » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:26 pm

*CRAZYHORSE* wrote:
Bonn-o-Tron wrote:

danke

Merci beaucoup.

Dank je wel. that's Dutch

I wanted to tell him that GRRR!
anyways wouldn't normal bullets just pass trough the blade, and make sure that instead of getting hit by a bullet, you'd get hit by red hot bullet.???
cuz that would be funny, seeing a jedi put all this effort in trying to block the bullets and he ends up getting himself more damage.
Act first, then think, then try to find a way to cover up the horrible mess you made.
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rody
My Little Pony

Postby Blitzen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:32 pm

No, I'm pretty sure everything just vapourizes (for lack of a better word) on contact.
Often, literally, a pillow fight but may include similar situations like volleyball, particularly when wardrobe is skimpy and the action is bouncy.
Blitzen
Distinguished Owner of the English Language

Postby Bonn-o-Tron » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:46 pm

This reminded me of an awesome comic strip. http://www.legorobotcomics.com/?id=22
:rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:
Bonn-o-Tron
Playmobil

Postby IVhorseman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Blitzen wrote:No, I'm pretty sure everything just vapourizes (for lack of a better word) on contact.

vaporizes (no u) is correct. a beam of magnetically sealed super-heated plasma can cut through even the strongest blast shields like butter. a nine millimeter wide chunk of soft, pudgy lead will instantly incinerate.
IVhorseman

Next

Return to Bonus Material